Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I get the concept - but what's the site?

As if I need more temptations and frivolities.
Maybe this is what he is talking about? https://www.ebay.com/str/scratchanddentcycles
Old 10-29-2022, 05:18 AM

Looked through the scratch and dent inventory. Wow, they are still asking big money for some of those with no confidence that they are rideable/repairable. At least allowing a “make offer” option would be a good idea I’d think.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I need more temptations and frivolities.
Seek and ye shall find..
Old 10-29-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
Looked through the scratch and dent inventory. Wow, they are still asking big money for some of those with no confidence that they are rideable/repairable. At least allowing a “make offer” option would be a good idea I’d think.
The interesting thing is every single one I’ve looked at has carbon damage. At one point Pros Closet had hyped their acquisition? partnership? (it was never quite clear which it was) with a carbon repair shop, and was repairing and then reselling damaged carbon themselves…. Now, at least for these, they suggest you visit that same repair shop, but are not investing the capital in the repair up front themselves….
Old 10-29-2022, 01:58 PM

Wow, Scratch N Dent Cycles, really interesting offshoot of Pros Closet. They're asking $3500 for this thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40393261347...QAAOSwLiNjPHmg

I wonder how many terrible buying decisions were made at the height of the pandemic. Or if this bike was picked over for parts and this is just the 'cost of doing business.' Seems sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMC1.jpg (74.6 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg BMC2.jpg (39.6 KB, 564 views)
Old 10-30-2022, 05:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycleservices View Post
Wow, Scratch N Dent Cycles, really interesting offshoot of Pros Closet. They're asking $3500 for this thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40393261347...QAAOSwLiNjPHmg

I wonder how many terrible buying decisions were made at the height of the pandemic. Or if this bike was picked over for parts and this is just the 'cost of doing business.' Seems sad.
Well, probably more expensive to make it whole than just sell it 'as is'. With those wheels, frame, crank, rear der, rotors, tires, etc..I don't think $3500 is that out of line.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, probably more expensive to make it whole than just sell it 'as is'. With those wheels, frame, crank, rear der, rotors, tires, etc..I don't think $3500 is that out of line.
Bwahahahahah!!! Spudly, gotta admit, you are loyal, even when you are way off base. $3500 for that trash heap of parts is WAAAAAYYYY out of line. Seems it is already down to $3350. My guess is $2000 +/- $100 would move this project.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Bwahahahahah!!! Spudly, gotta admit, you are loyal, even when you are way off base. $3500 for that trash heap of parts is WAAAAAYYYY out of line. Seems it is already down to $3350. My guess is $2000 +/- $100 would move this project.
Is this the same frame?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11550341338...Bk9SR-rr5YyFYQ
Old 10-30-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
NOPE. That is a Team Machine. Here are some complete ready to ride comparables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12548946299...Bk9SR8an346FYQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29516885551...Bk9SR8an346FYQ

Wheels are worth ~$1100
Parts are $400 ish. Seeming problem to me is that older Di2 parts aren't that expensive. Guts and chargers seem to add up quickly.
Frame is worth???? I wouldn't pay more than $800.

Yes, that adds up to more than my $2000, but that is if selling all those individually. The real problem is that your market for a project bike like this is pretty small. Either someone who is a full on mechanic, and they usually get discounts on parts, or a flipper, who wants a deal.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, that adds up to more than my $2000, but that is if selling all those individually. The real problem is that your market for a project bike like this is pretty small. Either someone who is a full on mechanic, and they usually get discounts on parts, or a flipper, who wants a deal.
Don't forget to add back in the cost of the proprietary parts that you have to source, too. I'm siding with KonaSS that not only is this thing a heap of trash, um... parts, and the pricing is way out of line.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:

That's me. They are really honest about the condition, and that's more than a lot of sellers. My bike was alloy though, so damage is more visible, and I've been around bikes and have enough shop experience to know what I'm getting into.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:29 PM

I put in to sell them one of my bikes and they offered about $300 less than I ended up selling it for. I have no idea what price they'd ask - I was much happier selling it without having to ship, without having to wait for their final inspection and the buyer coming to me (plus the extra money), no transaction fees and having to justify a net loss for taxes made it so much better, but the offer was one I'd have taken if I hadn't sold it in a bit.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Bwahahahahah!!! Spudly, gotta admit, you are loyal, even when you are way off base.
Teehee...yup, I know a bunch of those guys..I've done work for them and they've done stuff for me. I've known Nick(and Pete Lopinto) for a long, long time and yup, I admire where Nick and crew are today..I remember them selling pro's 'stuff' in a front yard...They are a business but they are good guys..Not the sinister bunch sometimes portrayed here.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:08 PM

I'll say this about TPC, I have a friend who works for them and he really likes his job and the organization. For his sake, I hope they are done with the layoffs. He is highly experienced, one of the best mechanics I know, and a former shop owner. Not a pair of skinny jeans in sight and kids to support.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:03 PM

They had mad VC $$$

It's all emeralds and jeans made of gold Just like the Catalina Wine Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
I'll say this about TPC, I have a friend who works for them and he really likes his job and the organization. For his sake, I hope they are done with the layoffs. He is highly experienced, one of the best mechanics I know, and a former shop owner. Not a pair of skinny jeans in sight and kids to support.