Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 03:29 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
IDK - Adams couldn't have hit that any better. Maybe Reynas shot could have been saved but it was pinpoint down and low perfect - and let's not deny the work CP put in to make that cross.
Yes Mexico was not sharp - but you can only play the team they put in front of you - I was pleasantly surprised, especially after that debacle against Jamaica.
Agreed.

TA's shot was close to 30 yards out & not upper 90. I will give Ochoa the benefit of the doubt of his view being blocked. But still, he got a late jump & I think a better keeper stops that.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:40 PM

Pulisic scores a great curler, with the ball kissing the underside of the crossbar on its way into the onion bag.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:35 PM

Obviously Bolivia isn't a very good team but USA's mainstays got them off to a good start and a clean sheet. I loved seeing Pepe and de la Torre on at the same time.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:51 AM

Great to see Tyler Adams back out there. He makes everyone else out there better. I know Pulisic had a goal & an assist, but TA was my MOTM.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Great to see Tyler Adams back out there. He makes everyone else out there better. I know Pulisic had a goal & an assist, but TA was my MOTM.
I presume the 45-minute appearance was entirely planned, as to help to ease him back from injury?
Old 06-24-2024, 11:22 AM

Pretty sure that was the idea. He is coming back from 2 hamstring surgeries and did not feature at Bournemouth much this past Premier League season.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:41 PM

No surprise - Berhalter has been fired!!!!
Old 07-10-2024, 05:49 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
No surprise - Berhalter has been fired!!!!
He didn't last long. (blaming the wrong person / thing IMO, but as always in sports, it's a lot easier to fire the coach or manager.)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
He didn't last long. (blaming the wrong person / thing IMO, but as always in sports, it's a lot easier to fire the coach or manager.)
5 years is a long time, but good thing he's now gone.

I'll grant that he's better than a useless nepotism hire, but to think we could have hired Marsche...
Old 07-11-2024, 12:01 PM

USSoccer apparently had the temerity to ask Herr Klopp von Merseyside und Westfallen to be the next coach.

To the surprise of none, Herr Klopp rebuffed the approach.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:11 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
USSoccer apparently had the temerity to ask Herr Klopp von Merseyside und Westfallen to be the next coach.

To the surprise of none, Herr Klopp rebuffed the approach.
Well, you have to ask, even if you know the answer will probably be "Nein!" Otherwise the sports press will inquire and want to know why you didn't bother.
Old 07-11-2024, 02:42 PM

No one the stature of Klopp will take on that mess. But maybe someone like Mourinho would but that would be a disaster of a totally new sort for USMT.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:22 AM

So Marsch apparently marshaled his players to the marches of 3rd place, only to have the performance marred by naive management.

Jest aside, in the derby of former Leeds managers (el maestro loco v Marsch), Canada lost after playing some daft football in the closing minutes, allowing Uruguay to tie the game and win on PKs.

I wonder if I'd have been happy with that. On the one hand, Marsch had his team play in a way that is greater than the sum of its parts, but OTOH, the naivete to play a very high line so late in the game, presenting gilt-edged chances to Uruguay late in the game...
Old 07-14-2024, 10:28 AM

I'd be accepting of what Marsch got out of Canada, he really hasn't been there that long.

I've read that Jose M likes to spend time in the US. The articles that mention JM as a candidate don't seem to mention much at all that he just took a new job in Turkey, I don't think he's even coached a match yet.

But there's a lot of dreaming in these list of coaching candidates, some of them are big names but I'm not convinced they'd be great candidates for the USMNT.

Take Zidane, love him, I think he's great and have for a long time. I'd be excited if they hired him, though I think he ain't coming. However, if I'm honest with myself I wonder how he'd do with a project like the USMNT. Zidane's strength at Madrid, imho, was an ability to manage their Galacticos and win with that much talent. That's harder than it might sound but I don't know how much that ability translates to getting the most out of the USMNT. Maybe Zidane would be just as successful at getting a performance out of a journeyman player as he has been getting stars to play a role, but I don't think we know that for sure.

Part of me thinks a Sean Dyche type who has a ton of experience getting a result out of the players at hand might be a better route for the US. I'd love to see the US play a beautiful game but I don't know that that plays to the strengths of the players available here.
Old 07-14-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
I'd be accepting of what Marsch got out of Canada, he really hasn't been there that long.

I've read that Jose M likes to spend time in the US. The articles that mention JM as a candidate don't seem to mention much at all that he just took a new job in Turkey, I don't think he's even coached a match yet.

But there's a lot of dreaming in these list of coaching candidates, some of them are big names but I'm not convinced they'd be great candidates for the USMNT.

Take Zidane, love him, I think he's great and have for a long time. I'd be excited if they hired him, though I think he ain't coming. However, if I'm honest with myself I wonder how he'd do with a project like the USMNT. Zidane's strength at Madrid, imho, was an ability to manage their Galacticos and win with that much talent. That's harder than it might sound but I don't know how much that ability translates to getting the most out of the USMNT. Maybe Zidane would be just as successful at getting a performance out of a journeyman player as he has been getting stars to play a role, but I don't think we know that for sure.

Part of me thinks a Sean Dyche type who has a ton of experience getting a result out of the players at hand might be a better route for the US. I'd love to see the US play a beautiful game but I don't know that that plays to the strengths of the players available here.
David Moyes would be another in the Sean Dyche model.

Please no Jose.

Props to Jesse M. However, I watched the Canada - Venezuela match. Reminded me of a high school contest.
And not a good one.