Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
It is not an option. Like-for-like crank length and gear combo.
Unless you're running 180mm 11sp DA cranks, that is. That length isn't made in the 9200 cranks, so anyone with those will get 177.5mm cranks in exchange.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
$114 million... and counting.

Shimano bike-related sales down 25% in first three quarters

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...three-quarters
I like the fact that "complete bike" sales are down. Maybe the bike business can move back into local bike shops that actually do more than push their one mass produced brand.

I'm also not sure that an "extraordinary loss" apples to a problem that you knew you had for years and years. More like "neglected issue comes home to roost".
Old 10-25-2023, 03:49 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I'm also not sure that an "extraordinary loss" apples to a problem that you knew you had for years and years. More like "neglected issue comes home to roost".
That's just accounting-speak for "weird one-off" in your financial reporting. Which the recall most likely is.

Not technically allowed under GAAP, but non-GAAP accounting is just the ocean we swim in.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
$114 million... and counting.

Shimano bike-related sales down 25% in first three quarters

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...three-quarters
Bike companies have been expecting (or should have been expecting) a downturn in component and bicycle sales, and should have planned accordingly - the boom that started during the pandemic was unsustainable and everybody knew it (or should have known it). Shimano had already forecast the downturn, and no doubt made plans around it. From the article:

Quote:
Shimano said that the spring’s unfavorable weather conditions did not dampen orders as much as expected and that a strong U.S. dollar was providing some non-operating revenue increases. So for the full year, Shimano is now forecasting company-wide revenues of 460 billion yen, down 27% from 2022’s full-year, but up 2.7% from the previous forecasts. And the full-year operating income forecast is now 77 billion yen — down 55% from last year, but 10% above previous guidance. The company specified that the forecasts include the extraordinary loss from the free inspection program.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Bike companies have been expecting (or should have been expecting) a downturn in component and bicycle sales, and should have planned accordingly - the boom that started during the pandemic was unsustainable and everybody knew it (or should have known it). Shimano had already forecast the downturn, and no doubt made plans around it. From the article:
Quote:
So for the full year, Shimano is now forecasting company-wide revenues of 460 billion yen,
460,000,000 yen is $3BILLION dollars....Just a reality check.
Quote:
the boom that started during the pandemic was unsustainable and everybody knew it (or should have known it).
HA, seems like all the big and small boys of the bike biz gooned this one up. Seems like a lot of them, sang 'happy days are here again', when it wasn't...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-26-2023 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:54 PM

Shimano Recall Credit

Just brought into my local bike shop four bikes having the affected recalled cranksets. The shop, a locally privately owned chain, gave me a store credit of $20.00 for each of the bikes brought in for inspection, stating the credit was courtesy of Shimano to be given to the customers for the inconvenience. This was in addition to whatever the shop receives for their work. This must have been a recent new policy by Shimano, as when I brought my first bike in for inspection, several weeks ago, no credit was offered.

FYI, all my cranksets passed inspection (3 Dura Ace and 1 Ultegra). The mechanic strictly followed Shimano protocols, disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the chainrings and cranks before the visual inspection.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
I haven't really read any of this thread.

As a boots on the ground shop manager, I can tell you that Shimano is explicitly releasing inspection-participating shops from liability should an inspected crank fail down the line.

I just sent in a crank last week that I thought would get returned to me, billed as being fine - new DA crankset on the way as of Friday.
Which shop are you? I’m in the east bay and have two crank sets I would like to have checked out. One is already sheared so should be easy.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:31 AM

Was that a Trek dealer?

Trek sent out an advertisement that they're giving a store credit, and if your cranks need to be replaced and there is a wait then Trek is going to give you a loaner bike if you need one.

Anyone here actually only have one bike... LOL.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:25 AM

I got my new crankset last week but haven’t heard anything about payment for the power meter which was installed. Anyone get a check from Shimano yet?

My shop is tired of hearing from me, so I thought I’d bother you folks instead!
Old 10-31-2023, 10:10 AM

Mine was OK for now.

I will have to watch it carefully.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Mine was OK for now.

I will have to watch it carefully.
LBS or were they sent to Shimano?
Old 10-31-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Was that a Trek dealer?

Trek sent out an advertisement that they're giving a store credit, and if your cranks need to be replaced and there is a wait then Trek is going to give you a loaner bike if you need one.
Dang, I took mine to a Trek dealer, they kept it for a month and replaced my 9100 cranks with 9200 cranks, but I definitely didn't get a credit or a loaner bike (even though I asked for one).
Old 10-31-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
LBS or were they sent to Shimano?
LBS. They kept it for a day to disassemble. I had no reason to believe anything was wrong with it, and if the failure is at all related to corrosion I'm lucky in that I mostly have kept that bike reserved for better weather days.

My bad weather bike has 105 which was not bonded!
Old 11-02-2023, 04:57 PM

My local bike shop warrantied mine. Just over two weeks to ride home with the new cranks installed. Aesthetically they are nicer than the 8000 series crank they replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
My local bike shop warrantied mine. Just over two weeks to ride home with the new cranks installed. Aesthetically they are nicer than the 8000 series crank they replaced.
It doesn't hurt that it's on a Scarab.