Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2024, 07:17 PM

The big complaint with modern full builds is that the bar width/flare stem length is not optional and that you buy a 10k+ bike and then have to drop 400 bucks or so on the "correct " ie oem bar in the size you actually need (or go to ali, but I digress) and then pay for a couple hours of shop time to swap. Idiotic. This at least approaches fixing that, although if the 40mm is tops and not flared drops its way to wide for aero bike/smaller riders.
Old 10-01-2024, 07:24 PM

Thumbs up

Such a high tech bike at 17lbs? Am i missing something or ?
Old 10-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
The 'old man yells at cloud' energy in this thread is too damn high. Flared drops are pretty damn comfortable, let people enjoy stuff.
Watch out, I was ban threatened for referencing that Simpsons meme in this manner.
Old 10-02-2024, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I still don't understand what happens to the brake lines, but I think I see Canyon's evil plan here...

They hope this catches on industry-wide and the industry runs with this for 5-8 years. Then, out of the blue, Canyon releases another mind-blowing innovation:
Clamping the handlebars to the front of the stem!!!!!

- Tweak handlebar angle in seconds to maximize comfort!
- Replace *only the handlebars* when desired, or when damaged in a crash, without the added expense of replacing the stem/bar combo!
- Only two parts (stem and bars) rather than three, for more strength and stiffness!

Oh, it's gonna be an amazing cycling future...
Oh good! The old man classic 'Big Bike is gonna reintroduce rim brakes ANY DAY NOW! They're like disc brakes but larger, hehehehe!' has been rephrased yet again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
It's the 105 spec on their second tier carbon frame?

Last edited by Talrand; 10-02-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2024, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
Oh good! The old man classic 'Big Bike is gonna reintroduce rim brakes ANY DAY NOW! They're like disc brakes but larger, hehehehe!' has been rephrased yet again
Yer darn tootin' whippersnapper! Like the bike industry, I endlessly rechurn old ideas...
Old 10-02-2024, 05:34 AM

A guy on our group rides who works for bicycling magazine had one as a tester. Definitely interesting, but as above more of a set it and forget it I'd think. The local shop is a Cannondale shop, one of the top in the country (per the plaques on the wall). The Momo bars are $900 and were out 6 months at one time, similarly the zero offset EVO/Lab71 seat posts took about 4 months to get, so there is that...
Old 10-02-2024, 06:16 AM

So you can adjust the width with the same bends? Or does that also require a second set? Canyon does a ****ty job describing the benefits of- all the webpage shows is swapping to flares (which changes the reach, so you still need a second t-bar).
Old 10-02-2024, 08:23 AM

I will add that while this is new to road bikes a version of this has been on triathlon bikes with fully integrated front ends for a while. A combination of pedestaling and fore/aft adjustment for the aero bars. Dan Empfield has written about that a lot.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/industry/what-is-pad-y-x/

https://www.slowtwitch.com/industry/...-pad-xy-chart/

https://www.slowtwitch.com/triathlon...ries-your-own/

https://www.slowtwitch.com/cycling/t...-bike-cockpit/

I think somethng like this is mandatory on any bike with fully hidden cabling and an aero front end. Again, not something I really want on my road bike but if you do having some way to easily adjust handlebar width/reach without tearing the whole thing apart really is necessary.
Old 10-02-2024, 08:31 AM

If it works, it's a game changer—less hassle for setup and travel. Imagine adjusting the bar width on the fly by sliding a sleeve. Stronger, cheaper, and perfect for travel.
Old 10-02-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
So you can adjust the width with the same bends? Or does that also require a second set? Canyon does a ****ty job describing the benefits of- all the webpage shows is swapping to flares (which changes the reach, so you still need a second t-bar).
Yes, you can change to 3 different widths with the same bend. Watch 3 minutes here and I think you will figure it out. https://youtu.be/akczRXG7D1w?t=508
Old 10-02-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Isn't this actually a pretty awesome weight at this point for a disc brake aero bike with electronic components?

The price is kind of amazing for having all that and coming in below $6k.

I guess the weight could be not real, or for a tiny size and they removed some component that makes it unrideable to publish that weight...

It's got some nicer stuff than you would see on some competing brands, DT Swiss wheels vs house brand, Selle Italia saddle vs house brand, etc..

Last edited by benb; 10-02-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2024, 09:17 AM
Meh

Aside from being the handlebar gimmick company, canyon is also the handlebar recall company, perhaps coincidentally also involving the Aeroad.

I wonder what kind of stress risers are possible with this device.

It does seem a rather clever solution to a problem that didn’t need to exist. The fully integrated trend put me off road bikes entirely. Yes, just my opinion, man.
Old 10-02-2024, 09:39 AM

Apparently the term "fully integrated" is evolving, or maybe just doesnt apply in this case. Initially it simply meant a single piece for bar and stem. This is a three piece unit compared to two for trad style. You could say there is a more intentional design to the way the parts are "integrated" together. Or maybe "modular" describes it better.
Old 10-02-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
The fully integrated trend put me off road bikes entirely. Yes, just my opinion, man.
As somebody who ALWAYS needs a shorter stem than spec'ed by the manufacturer, I totally agree. And was dismayed to see many big brands take the trend over to their mountain bikes (and not just XC race bikes, but general trail bikes as well). Spending $6000+ on a bike only to require a $400+ spend on a new bar/stem combo really stinks (when previously it would have been a $100 on a new stem).
Old 10-02-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Apparently the term "fully integrated" is evolving, or maybe just doesnt apply in this case. Initially it simply meant a single piece for bar and stem. This is a three piece unit compared to two for trad style. You could say there is a more intentional design to the way the parts are "integrated" together. Or maybe "modular" describes it better.
"fully integrated" never referred to a single piece bar/stem. It refers to the cable routing through the bars and stem. You can achieve this with either a one piece or multi-piece cockpit.