Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 09:53 AM

I went to University in Windsor, Ontario. It had many adult entertainment joints around town.

One of the mountain biking areas was a favourite spot for the "talent" to go to have their promo and other shots taken. Saw quite a few nearly and fully naked ladies out on the trails.

When I lived in rural New Brunswick, had a few funny things happen. Since cannabis was illegal and there were large open areas in the woods, would frequently run across grow ops. One time a guy dressed in full camo popped up and warned us to stay on the trail and preferably not come back through that area as a well known biker gang "owned" the crop and did not take kindly to people seeing it.

Other ones are to do with bears. One trail was through a blueberry barren. The trail was "painted" blue by the bears, having gorged themselves on the berries. Another time, we came across a hunting camp, with 3 little brown bears hung up to drain. Had an interesting conversation with the hunters, they planned on eating them.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I came across a massive limousine bull on a ride near my house and I can tell you I was within a 100 meters when I saw and I felt like I was way too close. 2800 pounds of anger. I called the local police and they were very happy to get my call since they were looking for it all afternoon and it had had wrecked (as in written off) 3 cars already. I followed it from a few hundred meters back and a cruiser pulled up next to me and said the officer said he had it from here. I grew up in a rural commercial fishing and farming area and know bulls; I asked him what he was going to do with a car and handgun when he needed a vet with a tranquilizer gun or a bazooka. He said not to worry, well 5 minutes later his cruiser was smashed up nicely. His confidence was in as bad a shape as his cruiser.
What kind of limousine was the bull driving?
Old 08-21-2024, 10:56 AM

Mid 90's I got caught in a horrible thunderstorm. Finally gave up and stopped at a house, which was only 2.5 miles from home. Leaned my bike (cherry red Concorde SL with chromed rear triangle - sweet) against a tree in the corner of the yard (30 feet way, maybe), knocked on the front door and asked if I could sit on the porch until storm past by. Lightning struck the the power pole by the house ........................and the tree my bike was leaning on!
The man's door was blasted open and the two of us were standing there with our skin tingling. He ended up driving me home a while later.

I have a great deal of respect for lightning.
Old 08-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Sanibel Island, Florida “adventure” a few years ago

Riding along West Gulf when I saw up ahead a big, brown dog come out of the trees onto the road. Problem was the head didn’t look right. As I got closer I realized it was a Florida Panther. I stopped and waited for it to move on and then ride straight to the PD who sent me to the Wildlife Center.

Both were very glad to hear about the sighting as they were aware of 2 or 3 on the island and were trying to keep track of them.

It left me a little shaken

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-21-2024, 11:42 AM

I had a pack of small (10 pounds or less) dogs come out on me one day. There were 4 that I saw so I just kept riding while trying to avoid running over them, but didn't see the 5th that was flanking me at 5:00. It ran between the front and rear wheels without me knowing. All I felt was a small bump then heard the dog squealing and turned around to see it running home.

While running, a group of us came upon a couple having a conjugal visit in the woods one afternoon. They were less than 2 feet off the trail.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:11 PM

A woman in her late teens-early 20s flashed my friend and me as we rode by.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:54 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelbackkid View Post
Someone threw half a bushel of apples at me while I was riding Rt 2 through Grand Isle in Vermont. Knocked me clear off the bike into the ditch.

When the shock subsided I realized I was quite hungry. Sat there and ate damn near half the bag while pondering the absurdity of it all.
You needed a good samaritan with a jar of peanut butter and a knife!
Old 08-21-2024, 02:09 PM

I crashed into the back of parked car, unprovoked. I was not paying attention.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasse View Post
I crashed into the back of parked car, unprovoked. I was not paying attention.
Did that as well. Lady in front of me was on a downhill incline at a red light. Light turned green, and I was clipping in and she stopped to wave a person on unawares to me...smack! right into the back of her car. Scared her and embarrassed the heck out of me.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:30 PM
#RYFB

I don't know about 'oddest' but these two come to mind:

1. Climbing in Santa Cruz, maybe 1979, heard some very aggressive growling/barking up on the hillside ahead of me, preparing to either sprint or turn around. As I got closer I saw the culprit, then noticed there was another dog next to him, teeth clamped onto his collar with his paws dug in, holding him back.

2. Topping a rise on Mulholland Highway leading a group of about 15 riders, I think I see a big dog walking loose ahead of me in the center of the road. Hmm, that's too big to be a dog … it's a donkey with its owner (I assume) chasing after it. Our peloton stopped short of it, and heading the opposite direction was a group of about 20 motorcycles, also stopped but their noise had spooked the donkey. We all sat there while the owner chased and eventually caught him. Yes, as we started rolling and I passed the owner I couldn't resist saying "nice ass."

Saturday, while descending the one way section of Tuna Canyon, I encountered a car coming up. One of the riders behind me managed to stop them and was … encouraging … them to turn around. After a bit they rolled down their windows to scold him: "don't yell at women!" Unfortunately, enough people drive up Tuna that I can't call it 'odd.'
Old 08-21-2024, 03:50 PM

July 4, 2005. I got out for a ride at dawn so that I can be back before my family wakes up. Climbing Lake Desolation Rd. in Saratoga County, NY (very familiar to many forum members, I'm sure). Nearing the top, I'm pretty worn down from the climb and looking forward to a break. As I round the right-hand bend near the end of the climb, a very large, black dog ambles across the road just ahead of me. Except it's a black bear, not a dog. The bear casually looks me over and decides the skinny cyclist is no threat and not much of a meal. It continues to shuffle off into the woods. Thanks to the adrenaline boost, I'm no longer tired and in fact am ready to sprint for all I'm worth...

Greg
Old 08-21-2024, 06:46 PM

I take a random dirt path off a main road, eventually lifting my bike over a low chain across the trail, ending up riding by an elegant outdoor resort reception with some wearing Fezzes.

Next, I see a good number of burly uniformed unsmiling men holding long guns around the paved parking area and road.

I smile, make eye contact, and wave, as if I belong.

My main thought- security was stupid or just for show as not guarding the back way in.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Took a minute to find this one, it's from a few years ago.

Still not sure why she has the plunger....

Plunger by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
You've never had to run to the hardware store?
Old 08-21-2024, 07:21 PM

This is embarrassing... but...

I was riding on a bike trail a couple of weeks ago and looked down to adjust my new bike computer. When I looked back up I was a split second away from running into an overgrown hedge that was almost taking up my entire lane of travel. I hit it and fell into it in slow motion.

Then when getting up, I was overgeared and didn't manage to full clip in so I fell down again about 2 inches from where I had just fallen down.

I went home and had a beer that night lol.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
This is embarrassing... but...

I was riding on a bike trail a couple of weeks ago and looked down to adjust my new bike computer. When I looked back up I was a split second away from running into an overgrown hedge that was almost taking up my entire lane of travel. I hit it and fell into it in slow motion.

Then when getting up, I was overgeared and didn't manage to full clip in so I fell down again about 2 inches from where I had just fallen down.

I went home and had a beer that night lol.
oof, tomorrow never comes.