Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 11:03 AM
n - 1

My old 1983 Trek 520 was a tank. Rode nice but not what I’d call lively. Not surprising as it was built with loaded touring in mind.

But some of the other Treks of that era with better tubing might be the ticket.
Something like below. Except just use long reach Tektro 559 brakes instead of the custom job.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/what...3-steves-frek/
Old 02-25-2024, 11:08 AM

Turning an old Trek or Nishiki into a rando machine can be a real rabbit hole - I've done a couple old Treks and they can turn into a maze of modifications and oddball work-arounds. Finding a used purpose-built rando bike would be easier but may require some patience.

As others mentioned, join the 650b and iBOB Google Groups - this types of bike does come up for sale on those lists fairly regularly.

KJ
Old 02-25-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
I inquired with Brian about getting one a few months ago, and it didn’t seem like one could even get on a waitlist too easily. Perhaps Brian was somewhat selective? Which I get — some customers can be more trouble to deal with than they’re worth, and I’m sure he’s got enough repeat business or referrals. Perhaps also this has changed more recently?

If you’re going to splurge, I’d recommend Ebisu from Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha. It’s not as inexpensive as it used to be, but IME they are done right down to the tiniest details. I’ve two - they’re just great. My next bike is going to be quite different, I think, so I’m gonna go with a different builder.
I don't have any knowledge of Brian's biz I just love his bikes is all.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:33 PM

https://www.renehersecycles.com/what...3-steves-frek/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (148.9 KB, 237 views)
Old 02-25-2024, 10:35 PM

IMG_1586.jpg

c. 1997 Bianchi TSX 650b conversion using Gran Compe 610 centrepulls.

Clearance only for c. 35mm tyres (32s pictured) but a very rideable pseudo-Randonneur with a fairly low bb and lacking dropout eyelets.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:56 AM

Custom Pelizzoli in 650B form (also takes 700 X 32), takes 38's

IMG_4823 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr

87 Schwinn Voyageur converted to 650B with centerpulls by Gugie, took 44's:

650b Voy right side by Doc Mertes, on Flickr
Old 02-26-2024, 11:10 AM

I’ve said it before but that Pelizzoli is incredible. Bordering on perfection I think.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmans View Post
Looking to build a 650b randonneur rig. I feel like most bikes are custom or conversions. Heavy preference to Canadian or American vintage frame to look out for or simply interesting collectable frames. The Bridgestone XO-1 seems like a great candidate, albeit a hard to find one.
Well, randonneur bike is kind of a flexible category these days. I have had some bicycles that might qualify as a retrofit but in the end I never found them very satisfying, too many compromises.

For me a nice rando bike has -
Front rack and decauler for a boxy bag
Dynamo hub with front and rear light
Fenders
Cushy tires (for me 650x42 is great but this can move around a lot depending on rider and terrain)

Cleanly integrating these elements onto a frame not made for them is a tough job. Especially the wiring but also the front rack/bag/decauler.

I have a nice custom Brian Chapman now and his ability to integrate all these complicated elements into a nice clean package is really amazing.

If I was going to attempt to build a rando conversion I think I would start with an older (60/70s) road/touring frame with big clearance , maybe a paramount or mondia or Raleigh international , something with some chrome. Some of these can do 700x32/35 with fenders.

If you don’t want to do braze ons and paint then you are a little limited on racks and wiring but I think a good solution could be found.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:19 PM

Even racing frames from the 70's often have more tire clearance, it doesn't have to be touring geometry (although that's fine too if it's what you like!).
My favorite bike of all time is my 1974 Raleigh Pro fixie, which has been my main brevet bike for many years. Being a fixie it doesn't suit the stereotype, but it can fit 26 or 28mm tires with fenders, although the fenders can be a tight squeeze depending on what type they are. Portland Design Works fenders are nice because you can cut away the edges to help them fit through your frame if you need to and they still hold their shape.

I also have a 1973 Raleigh Pro that I converted to 650b, which allows 38mm tires and fenders easily. I used those Tektro long reach brakes, and they work great. Re-spacing the rear triangle to 130mm is generally not a big deal, so I set up that bike with a Sram 1x11 drivetrain and ran a full housing from the shifter to the RD. The full housing means it doesn't really matter if the frame doesn't have the right kind of cable stops, and it's also perfect for, ahem, people who may take a minimalist approach to post-ride cleanup. It's not the lightest bike ever, but it has served me well.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:29 PM
Administrator

One thing I would caution anyone going down this rabbit hole: Don't blindly ignore the weight.

If you start with a burly steel frame and fork, start adding traditional rando fixins like 36 spoke wheels, big tire with tubes, lots of racks, waxed canvas bags, dynamos, etc, the weight can add up very fast, and you may find it is not a fun bike to ride over long distances that include hills.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:05 PM
n - 1

PSA. I’m almost tempted to buy this myself. Here is a NOS (!!!) 1982 Trek 614 in Michigan. My affinity for old Trek’s had me double thinking posting this but hope it goes to a good home.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/b...709494433.html
Old 02-26-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
One thing I would caution anyone going down this rabbit hole: Don't blindly ignore the weight.

If you start with a burly steel frame and fork, start adding traditional rando fixins like 36 spoke wheels, big tire with tubes, lots of racks, waxed canvas bags, dynamos, etc, the weight can add up very fast, and you may find it is not a fun bike to ride over long distances that include hills.
I'd agree with this. I built a randonneur style bike out of a late 70s Trek TX700. Mid reach brakes will clear a 28 in the front and 32 in the rear on 700c under full fenders. Dynamo hub and I also went with an 8 speed Nexus gear hub in the back. I built this with the intent to use for brevets, and I did ride a 200k on it, but it was just too heavy and not as fun/efficient on long rides. It is still an exceptional commuter bike, but for actual brevets I ran a proper road bike (Cannondale CAAD10 or Cervelo R3) and sometimes added dynamo lights, clip on fenders, Dill Pickle handlebar bag, and other items as required.

I also have a Soma Pescadero which isn't exactly a randonneur bike but comes close with clearance for 700x35 under full fenders, centerpulls, and 46/30 cranks with a 12-30 cassette. This is more lively than the Trek, but still less so than the pure road bikes. I've made it my rain bike and would probably ride a brevet on it if conditions were poor but I'd go pure road with minimal accessories otherwise.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
Even racing frames from the 70's often have more tire clearance, it doesn't have to be touring geometry (although that's fine too if it's what you like!).
My favorite bike of all time is my 1974 Raleigh Pro fixie, which has been my main brevet bike for many years. Being a fixie it doesn't suit the stereotype, but it can fit 26 or 28mm tires with fenders, although the fenders can be a tight squeeze depending on what type they are. Portland Design Works fenders are nice because you can cut away the edges to help them fit through your frame if you need to and they still hold their shape.

I also have a 1973 Raleigh Pro that I converted to 650b, which allows 38mm tires and fenders easily. I used those Tektro long reach brakes, and they work great. Re-spacing the rear triangle to 130mm is generally not a big deal, so I set up that bike with a Sram 1x11 drivetrain and ran a full housing from the shifter to the RD. The full housing means it doesn't really matter if the frame doesn't have the right kind of cable stops, and it's also perfect for, ahem, people who may take a minimalist approach to post-ride cleanup. It's not the lightest bike ever, but it has served me well.
When you say Tektro long reach brakes, do you mean the 556/559 ones with the 55-73mm reach? I think it's very cool that an old Pro will accept 38mm tires! I wish I had mine still. My Bob Jackson of the same era was made for 27x1-1/4 tires and fenders and the largest 700C I can squeeze in are 32mm, and the reach is too long to use 650B.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
For converting an older bike, check out this recent thread on the 650B list:

https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/SJpTauWet4s
This link had me going down the rabbit hole on Fuji Finest framesets, which one poster says fits 650Bx42 with no crimping. When I was looking to upgrade my Peugeot U08 in late 1971, I went with Sheldon Brown to look at and ride what I think was the first Fuji Finest to be imported to the US when Fuji America was formed. It was amusing that the Finest was not the tiptop of the line, that was called the Newest! I recall being very impressed by the Finest, but at the time I could get a custom Bob Jackson built for the same cost and went in that direction instead.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
When you say Tektro long reach brakes, do you mean the 556/559 ones with the 55-73mm reach? I think it's very cool that an old Pro will accept 38mm tires! I wish I had mine still.
I'm currently playing with an old Mercian from 1980 or so. It fits 700c 38mm tires under Tektro R559 brakes. It needs 60mm of brake reach, so "medium" reach brakes aren't quite long enough. It's eye-opening to see a relatively sporty frame fit tires that wide under caliper rim brakes (by which I mean not centerpulls and not cantilevers).