Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM
cnighbor2

I dusted off the Nordic trainer

I dusted off the Nordic trainer and have a go at for 20 minutes on days not riding due to COVID-19.02
Old 05-19-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
edit

Big discussion here.

Some want to open our HOA pools with no plan.....despite extensive procedures outlined by pool management companies and legal advice from HOA management firms to strictly follow such procedures. Big risk for HOA board members if they decide to open pools without extensive procedures in place.

Still uncertain how long the C19 virus can survive in a pool if the virus is surrounded by mucus.

For the time being I think pools should be restricted to laps only....every other lane.
I’m a board member of my HOA and the County of Los Angeles made it easy for us. They ordered ( among many other things ) the closure of pools and pool areas at condo complexes and multi unit buildings.

I couldn’t agree more!
Old 05-19-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
in my mind, there is much more about this virus that we dont know than we actually do know. lots of unknowns and uncertainties.

that said, i think if we look at the agreed upon stuff, and asked experts from all sides of this to design a location where transmission potential would be greatest, it would be an indoor location where people sweat, breathe heavily and use common equipment.

so yea, gyms are out for a long while in my book.

good thing it's summer! the world is my gym!
I love this attitude!

We shut the gym down in our building early on and I just kept telling people...go out, walk, run, jog, bike, watch YouTube videos on exercise, do push-ups, planks, etc.

I’ve seen people in the park outside our building lifting jugs of water in coolers. I so love it when people get creative!!! Rather than use your energy to complain, figure it out...
Old 05-19-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Maybe a ventilator in an ICU unit instead?

My guess is that an enclosed restaraunt with a bunch of people talking and shouting after a few is a much more dangerous place than a gym. Talking spreads this virus, and I don't see many people conversing in gyms.

Wow, I wonder what the percentage of those infected with the virus end up on a vent?
-- Yawn --
Old 05-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Sriracha is delicious

Doubt I'll be going back any time soon. I normally go to the Equinox around the corner when I'm home, but their tentative plan for when things open doesn't fill me with confidence, and, as has been said, I've figured out my home situation quite a bit (gone a little nuts in that regard, actually). That said, I enjoy going to the gym and doing classes and stuff here and there, so I'm sure I'll eventually find my way back, for the atmosphere or whatever.

I do wonder what's going to happen with smaller studios moving forward, though. My GF's two favorite pilates places are doing stuff online, and she's finding that she really prefers the online situation, now that we've gotten all of that figured out.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:16 PM

I ended up buying some Bodylastic bands (I think that's the name). Of course, they were OOS until this week. Just got them & not sure they will replace my gym, but they will do for at least the next month while things settle out. I'd love to like them enough to drop my gym, but something about going to the gym motivates me in a way home workouts can't.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I ended up buying some Bodylastic bands (I think that's the name). Of course, they were OOS until this week. Just got them & not sure they will replace my gym, but they will do for at least the next month while things settle out. I'd love to like them enough to drop my gym, but something about going to the gym motivates me in a way home workouts can't.
Been using the elastic bands, but it's just not the same. I do my pullups outside using the edge of our deck. Primitive, but it sorta works. Still waiting for our planet fitness to open. I'll see how they handle it before rushing back, but best time to go would be early morning. I used to go at 530pm and it was packed at times.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:13 PM

I keep wondering if this is going to reset gym expectations and/or change the market.

If I pay for a gym I would rather pay to go to some bare bones dungeon place that has fairly traditional equipment.

Around here what we mostly have now falls into 2 categories:

- Luxury gyms for **** you money. $200+/month, etc.. full of juice/smoothie bars with saunas and all kinds of stuff that is non-essential for getting fit. I've been going to the gym for close to 30 years now.. can't imagine how much money you waste over a lifetime of going to luxury gyms.

- Boutique spin/orange theory/yoga/whatever... no locker rooms/showers, again super expensive, can't go in and work out on your own time schedule, etc..

It's all super high end stuff.. makes me wonder how much of it is supported by people living paycheck to paycheck and trying to live above their means. Not the kind of gyms that seem well positioned to survive a downturn.

The last category is lease supported corporate gyms.. they'll be fine I would imagine.. we have one of those in the office park where I work. Any worker in the park gets to go for no charge cause it's included in the rent of the employers.

Last edited by benb; 05-20-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
Been using the elastic bands, but it's just not the same. I do my pullups outside using the edge of our deck. Primitive, but it sorta works. Still waiting for our planet fitness to open. I'll see how they handle it before rushing back, but best time to go would be early morning. I used to go at 530pm and it was packed at times.
If you can figure out any place to put them get some gymnastics rings.. they are not expensive and they're incredibly versatile.

Most of them have stupidly long straps.. you can lower them to the floor and do a whole bunch of novel exercises.

If your deck is tall enough to do pushups you could probably put rings on it, and they don't even require any mounting hardware as long as there is something you can loop them over.

They are a lot harder than stationary bars though.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:15 PM

I plan to go back to the gym as soon as it reopens, which I fear will not be soon. The gym is in my apartment building, and it's normally open 24 hours a day to residents who are members. At the times that I go, there are rarely more than two or three others there. I only use free weights, the dip station, and the chinning bar.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 PM

Oh, now we're doing horrible political takes in this thread, too?
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 PM

I was setting routes at a climbing gym, haven't worked since March 12.
Gov. just announced phase 2 starting fri., bars and gyms must still stay closed (NC). For 5 more weeks.
I'm on a pension so I will do okay but it's hurting around here.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:42 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

You guys know will get this locked.

If that is your intent it could also get someone a timeout.

Let’s try to stay on point, please.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:47 PM

nvm
Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 PM

MRSA didn't keep people away.

I joined a Snap Fitness club a few years ago. I've been described as a germophobe yet I was always comfortable with the sparseness and user friendliness of Snap. When no one is waiting for equipment, it's easier to wipe down before and after use. In 6 months, I'll make my final decision but I see myself going back before the end of the year. A data point from a person born in the late 80s.
Closed Thread