Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2024, 04:25 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish42 View Post
After several years, Specialized has bought back an alu Crux, and it's only priced at $2600 w/ 12sp SRAM Apex.

This is the type of product/pricing the bike industry should focus on to get more people into the sport. The Crux was my own intro to serious biking, and I'm glad to see it return.
$2600 is the price point the industry should focus on to bring more people into the sport?
Like thats the price point which is attractive to people who dont even ride?

If thats correct, I guess this is just another example of how out of touch I am with hobby costs.
I would figure the $900-1400 price range would be what the industry should focus on to bring more people into the sport.

The multi-color frame is cool looking.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:26 PM

So it's not....
Attached Images
File Type: png dsw.png (3.7 KB, 392 views)
Old 06-11-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
$2600 is the price point the industry should focus on to bring more people into the sport?
Like thats the price point which is attractive to people who dont even ride?

If thats correct, I guess this is just another example of how out of touch I am with hobby costs.
I would figure the $900-1400 price range would be what the industry should focus on to bring more people into the sport.

The multi-color frame is cool looking.
The Crux isn't an entry level bike. Specialized definitely isn't the cheapest brand out there, but you can get an Allez for $1200 or a Diverge for $1300. This Crux is designed to be the next level up. More likely to be someone's second bike than their first.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:52 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
That whole bike should be $1700 IMO

Agree. Plus how about some non drab paint, yo? Web site, not seeing other than drab or drab.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:08 PM

Overpriced, road bike geo? Eugh.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish42 View Post
After several years, Specialized has bought back an alu Crux, and it's only priced at $2600 w/ 12sp SRAM Apex.

This is the type of product/pricing the bike industry should focus on to get more people into the sport. The Crux was my own intro to serious biking, and I'm glad to see it return.
This is what we say when the industry has been showing us bikes at $16000+ for the past many years.

$2600 is a bargain, yo!

I remember the good old days of 2018 when I could buy a brand spanking new Cannondale SuperSix Evo HiMod with Dura Ace components on sale for $3200 down from $6000.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:27 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
This is what we say when the industry has been showing us bikes at $16000+ for the past many years.

$2600 is a bargain, yo!

I remember the good old days of 2018 when I could buy a brand spanking new Cannondale SuperSix Evo HiMod with Dura Ace components on sale for $3200 down from $6000.
Right? I was about to put the CC down in 2017 for a Trek Segaf Domane Race Shop RSL/SLR Di2 Dura Ace, Carbon Tubular, $6000.00 marked down from $12k. Last minute I decided I didn't like the Teak Red. Wound up few seasons later with Project One same thing in Madds Green. Without all the Teal Hellos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
pre-ordered this to replace my pink rim brake crockett, stay tuned for a build thread apparently three months from now
I replaced my Crockett Pinky [so cool] with a Boone RSL. So much more money and not really so much more to roll on...

Last edited by robt57; 06-11-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:12 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The Crux isn't an entry level bike. Specialized definitely isn't the cheapest brand out there, but you can get an Allez for $1200 or a Diverge for $1300. This Crux is designed to be the next level up. More likely to be someone's second bike than their first.
Right- it isn't an entry bike. That's why I questioned the comment that this bike should be what the industry focuses on to bring new people into the sport.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:36 PM

Its what the industry should focus on to retain those of us who appreciate a well designed and engineered bike for less than a small car. I'm a fan.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
Mine has cantis on it, like the one Stybar won world's on, fun bike, the E5 frame is responsive
The E5 aluminum crux and allez were fantastic f'ing bikes. I miss both of mine. Simple, light, no frills and great ride quality.

I moved on to the previously mentioned Crux an Allez Sprint, and neither rides as nice.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Right- it isn't an entry bike. That's why I questioned the comment that this bike should be what the industry focuses on to bring new people into the sport.
Well I'm in total agreement with you there.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:54 PM
Two wheels good

I don't get the paint schemes for the Crux lineup. They offer a normal color with the Specialized logo but then each bike has an option of a weird fade/panel/rings option. Does anyone know if this design language means anything? Choices are cool but the model I want has the option of this cool gold... but it has a fade... and rings... and panels, and orange panel... *** Specialized? Of course, the standard color choice is... black with dark logos and I'm so bored with that. I'm just venting because I would probably whip on the credit card tomorrow if there was a better color choice for this bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cr...=336169-205812

When I saw the DSW frameset today I thought about that for a hot minute but to build it up like the Crux Expert I would end up paying more money for a heavier bike.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:57 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

There it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 18-55-35 Crux.jpg (32.9 KB, 320 views)
Old 06-12-2024, 05:55 AM

I am considering one of theseā€¦.. I may pre-order today.
Old 06-12-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
... then each bike has an option of a weird fade/panel/rings option. Does anyone know if this design language means anything? Choices are cool but the model I want has the option of this cool gold... but it has a fade... and rings... and panels, and orange panel... *** Specialized?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cr...=336169-205812
The design means whatever you want it to mean. You might be over thinking this. It is nice they offer something other than a 1 color choice with a logo. I really like these as they don't have a big logo plastered on it. Great to have choice that isn't just the same bike in a different color, but a truly different design.