Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebr View Post
Chiming in to second this comment. My Park DAG has paid for itself many times over, not just on my own bikes but for friends and neighbors as well.

For the OP, now that you've hopefully narrowed the issue down to wheel flex, have you checked for lateral play in that rear hub? Hold the rim by the rear brake bridge and try to move it back and forth towards and away from a seatstay. Any looseness or knocking in that side-to-side direction?
It doesn't feel like it's loose but I can definitely push it and the rim deflects even to the point where it touches the brake pads which I do have set fairly close. But I've definitely felt loose hubs and headsets and so on and it doesn't feel like that if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
From the stupid human tricks department: check to see that your "over/under" on your spoke lacing is correct and also make sure one spoke didn't get drawn the wrong way through the hub (3 heads in a row on one side)
Just checked. They alternate one by one.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Have you checked the wheel dish? Maybe this wheel is over-dished to the right.
So compare it to the good wheel? I have another Zipp 303 that doesn't have a Powertap hub and currently has 9-speed on it but it is an 11-speed hub.
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

I had this happen on a wheel that was laced with outside pulling spokes. Pedaling torque on such a laced wheel pulls the crossed point towards the derailleur.

Do you have that thin spacer installed between the cassette and the freewheel (check the manufacturer instructions for the hub and cassette, to make sure)? Is the low gear limit screw adjusted properly?

Last edited by MikeD; Yesterday at 06:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
So compare it to the good wheel? I have another Zipp 303 that doesn't have a Powertap hub and currently has 9-speed on it but it is an 11-speed hub.
The traditional way to check wheel dish is reversing the wheel in the drop outs. In other words, installing the wheel so that the cassette is on the left instead of the right. Measure the distance of the rim to the stays and/or the brake pads with the wheel installed normally and reversed. If the wheel is perfectly dished (rim is perfectly centered on the axle), then the rim should line up the same with the stays and brake pads whether it is installed normally or reversed. If the rim lines up differently, then the dishing is off-center. The error in the dish is half of the difference in the rim position between normal and reversed.
Old Today, 10:19 AM

One thing that I often check for is how many turns that the lock ring can be tightened after it first finds engagement with the threads.

Even with alloy lock rings and freehub bodies, a full mere two turns is as good/sufficient as most installs that I have inspected. So if the lock ring can be tightened three turns, then a 1mm spacer (as supplied by Shimano with their 10s cassettes) would be a fix for your setup.

There are also longer-threaded lock rings that can be useful for certain fitments, so as long as cog spline engagement of the smallest cog remains at least a full 2mm, then perhaps a spacer can be added behind the cassette in cases where the threaded engagement would otherwise fall short of 2 full turns.

I don't like having less than two full turns of lock ring thread engagement, but I have worked on plenty of bikes where slightly less than two full turns was in play and nothing had fallen apart.