Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

So very awesome for you and Andres! Cheers!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Great parenting going on here.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 AM

Facilitating and quietly encouraging my own son while staying out of the way is extremely hard. My hat's off to anyone pulling that oar. Great job UJA!! The future of bike racing is in races like that.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:42 AM

Nice job Andres!

If you think staying up with your 14 year old is tough, you should try keeping up with them when they are 19. Carrying all that pride, slows you down.
Cheers.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army View Post
I apologize for the shameless parent beaming with pride post, but today was my son Andres' first bicycle race. He is 14 years old and took up cycling this past August. Though I've been riding for a long time, I never once asked him if he wanted to take up cycling, as I wanted him to approach me about it, if he was interested. We made it through him riding with tennis shoes, and the many falls with clipless pedals, and each week he has improved and gained strength by leaps and bounds. I have to go all out to drop him on a climb now. I suspect he'll be dropping the old man soon enough. A few weeks ago, he told me he wanted to try racing, too.

Today Andres toed the line in the Jr. 15-16 category. A group of six kids got away from the gun, and Andres caught on with two other kids to form the first chase group. Though the three kids shared pulls, the two others let Andres do all the pulling in the last two laps and they predictably came around him at the end. All in all, he learned a lot and is excited to do his next race. We are so proud of him. Mom and Dad love you, Andres.
The kid with the green helmet-Zipp wheels? Yowser.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ya I had a $70 Schwin Stingray with a troxel bar, white banana seat and cheater slicks I bought new with my own money from mowing lawns. But it did have the two speed kick back hub
Old 01-19-2015, 05:10 PM

My Son's First Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

How about the kid on the Dogma!?!

Congrats to you and I hope my four year old shows the same interest some day.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:23 PM

For The Love of Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacII View Post
How about the kid on the Dogma!?!

Congrats to you and I hope my four year old shows the same interest some day.
I may know the kid on the "Dogma." Let's just say his dad wouldn't be able to afford retail.

Which reminds me of a funny story. The Dogma Kid rides with a crew (Martin's Pro Bikes) based out of East Los Angeles (ground zero for Mexican-American cultural consciousness). And most of these riders are Mexicans who have roots in Mexico City or El DF as it's known there. If you know anything about Mexico, residents of El DF are known as Chilangos. Many Mexicans view Chilangos the way Brits view East End Cockneys; a little vulgar, a little rough. I've ridden with Martin's crew often and I'm always amused by the nicknames they bestow upon each other. One particularly strong cat is called Tortilla. So, one evening after a long training ride, I asked Tortilla how he came upon his moniker. He looked at me straight faced and said, in spanish, "well, because I work in a factory making tortillas." Oh, he was riding an S-Works Tarmac and the average worker at a Tortilleria makes about $9 an hour.

Last edited by beeatnik; 01-19-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:36 PM

That is fantastic. I wish my son would show some interest in riding. He thinks going around the block is a big ride.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
I may know the kid on the "Dogma." Let's just say his dad wouldn't be able to afford retail.
Al, that kid is money. He was part of the six kids who got away immediately, three of which were kids on the Monster Media Junior Team. With 6 laps to go, that kid took a flyer and stayed away until right before the line. One of the Monster Media kids (who was yoked and looked like he was 21) ran him down in the last 100 meters, after doing no work in the six-kid group. Impressive for that kid.

His dad seemed like a really humble guy, cheering on his son (my wife and I cheered him on, too, yelling "Animo" every lap he came flying around solo), and it was good to see that. Hopefully, we'll hear more about that kid.

BTW, when I was coming up, Dennison's Clinchers was the team with the barrio kids. East Los y que?!! And, no, not all of us were chilangos! Arriba Jalisco!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM

It's a new world on the(true) Eastside. Hey, didnt the 4 time National Champion Fast Freddie Rodriguez come up through Dennison's Schwinn on Whittier Blvd?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
It's a new world on the(true) Eastside. Hey, didnt the 4 time National Champion Fast Freddie Rodriguez come up through Dennison's Schwinn on Whittier Blvd?
He did, and I raced with him at El Do when he was something like 13. Guys always got pissed off at him because he would always jump into races with the adults without a number and without junior gearing. His dad didn't give a crap and told Fred to just go out and kick their butts. He wasn't beating the local adult big dogs back then, but he was hanging on, which says a lot for a 13 year old.

Rodolfo Vitela (many times national champ of Mexico) also raced and worked as a wrench at Dennison's Clinchers.

Last edited by Uncle Jam's Army; 01-19-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:13 PM

This is awesome! Reminds me of my first MTB race at 13 and my dad waiting in the rain for me at the finish line.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:36 AM

Nice work Andre and Dad!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

:)

Congratulations. And hop you get years of pleasure out of watching him ride.

I hope one of my daughters follows suit. ( or even just likes to ride)