Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedaid View Post
I have a Buxumbox and cannot say enough good things about it. It's flown maybe 30 times internationally at this point (and one Amtrack adventure!) and has protected my bikes well. Functionally it's perfect and despite the mileage it has held up very well externally too. If it can handle the baggage handlers in Cairo, then it's an excellent box in my book. I have the Tourmalet version so need to take off the handlebars but compared to many other hard cases it's very easy to pack a bike into it.

When I looked at hard cases they were all roughly in the same price range and the Buxumbox just felt the best in terms of assembly ease and subsequent storage at home. I've amortized the high upfront cost by now and it's been worth the money

The reason I like a hard case is that (bar the box going missing entirely) it guarantees your bike holiday won't be ruined. I didn't like the idea of a soft case where i'd potentially arrive at my destination and see the bike has been damaged. Insurance will help you at home, not on Tenerife.

If it's just a frame then this is of course overkill. If domestic, I'd ship with Bikeflights which from my experience have been excellent and well priced.
You beat me to it. I’ve done three trips with my Buxombox Ventoux and it’s been flawless. Handlebars stay on, wheels and post come out, box holds all my cycling kit, spares, pump, and nutrition. And I throw extra foam over the top of the bike, just in case the TSA inspection goes extremely poorly.The box rolls very well and makes a great cart for your other luggage. Plus, people assume you’re in a band and make pleasant small-talk.

My use case though is unique:
  • Solo travel
  • Renting a car (hatchback, crossover, or suv)
  • Flying smaller Alaska Airline* planes around the western USA
  • Typically 3-5 day trips

Pro-Tip for Alaska: the box counts as one checked bag; and if you’re checking one you might as well check two and lower the overhead stress - that’s an $80 fee total each way. Out west the first-class upgrade from coach is only $75 on the regional flights.. and includes two free checked bags. So, save $5, upgrade and enjoy the extra leg room, priority boarding, and all the rest. Win-win.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:53 AM

+1 for the DaKine

Mentioned this earlier but thought I’d post a photo. I’ve traveled with the SciCon and had good experiences. While the ease of packing goes a long way (bars stay on etc. etc.) because there are various protrusions, there is more risk that things go wrong. Once I shipped a bike with the SciCon and the saddle was ruined (rails ripped out of the saddle shell) and as a result the seat collar was damaged. I was lucky there wasn’t any frame damage. That said, each time I flew with it (checked baggage) it was ok. And other friends to whom I’ve lent it, have reported no problems either.

Since then, I’ve switched to the DaKine (picture included). I like the slightly smaller (narrower) form function, as well as the fact that when not in use, it rolls up into a tube. I found that with the addition of a few packing accessories (actually from SciCon - the little foam bag that you can put the rear mech into, a hard bolster that cradles the BB) this is a much more robust solution. The SciCon website is a good source for packing accessories.

It is super easy to pack down and there are lots of intuitive pockets and straps inside with which to secure your bike. Once it is all strapped down etc., I line the inside edges with cardboard (any shipping box cut up). Think of it is a reusable and very burly bike shipping box on wheels! It is also very easy to move around. The only drawback is that I could see very large bikes having a hard time fitting - mine is a 56 road bike and no problems so far. Worth reiterating that removing the rear derailleur (but leaving the chain on) and securing the rear derailleur between the chainstays for transport should be a priority when packing.

MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77B4DEA8-E9AB-466C-A07D-B04298101334.jpg (118.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 09-10-2024, 07:34 AM

My wife has been using a Scicon Aerocmfort 3.0 Triathlon bag with good luck. It's a soft sided bag, but once it's packed it has a fair amount of rigidity and padding in the important areas.

So far, so good.

One of the main issues with bike cases, hard or soft, is TSA. If they go through your stuff, and jack it all around, it may show up broken, regardless, as it was all jammed back in lacking any care...

For my drop bar bikes, I thankfully keep a few bikes around the country for frequently visited locations, but when I do travel with a bike, a sturdy OEM cardboard box has worked well. If I were buying my own case, I'd likely buy the hybrid style Evoc.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerJRP;3421880[B
]My wife has been using a Scicon Aerocmfort 3.0 Triathlon bag with good luck[/B]. It's a soft sided bag, but once it's packed it has a fair amount of rigidity and padding in the important areas.

So far, so good.

One of the main issues with bike cases, hard or soft, is TSA. If they go through your stuff, and jack it all around, it may show up broken, regardless, as it was all jammed back in lacking any care...

For my drop bar bikes, I thankfully keep a few bikes around the country for frequently visited locations, but when I do travel with a bike, a sturdy OEM cardboard box has worked well. If I were buying my own case, I'd likely buy the hybrid style Evoc.
Will the Tri bag fit a road bike?
Old 09-10-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Will the Tri bag fit a road bike?
I've not personally put a road bike into the bag, but know of others that have without issue. We also have a bunch of pool noodle bits and some other pads we have accumulated that make up the the protection for the bike once it's mounted to the chassis within the bag.
Old 09-10-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerJRP View Post
I've not personally put a road bike into the bag, but know of others that have without issue. We also have a bunch of pool noodle bits and some other pads we have accumulated that make up the the protection for the bike once it's mounted to the chassis within the bag.
Just checked with a Tri Areo 3.0 seller who said that 40mm handlebars are the limit for the Tri bags. He would’ve liked to sell the bag, obviously, so I have to take him at his word. Honest broker.
Old 09-11-2024, 07:30 PM

Just did some searches on CL/Facebook/PB. Odd the number of bike bags that are for rental as opposed to being for sale.
Old 09-11-2024, 08:37 PM

Had a Cannondale in a soft shell case about 15 years back on Swissair...they completely destroyed the bike (as in squashed like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon). Switched to hard case. This year on Singapore airlines they abused the case so hard on a flight that the whole thing is out of whack and crooked and one of the hinges was ripped off. But the two bikes inside survived with minor scratches. With only one bike there would have probably no damage at all. That being said: hard case all the way!
Old 09-12-2024, 01:31 AM

I’ve had good experiences with domestic and international travel using “soft” cases-evoc and Thule. Carbon bikes, wheels, etc and not a problem once.
The Thule has some rather rigid plastic corrugate that reinforces the walls and it would take a lot to damage the contents in my opinion. I also wrap the frame in foam to add some protection.
I’ve also used a cheaper soft case to fly an old CX bike (Al/carbon frame, Al wheels) to Asia with no issues.
As others have mentioned, the cargo handlers have a method and the odd sports gear bags aren’t treated like the standard suitcase.
Also as mentioned, lots of extra space for stashing stuff.