Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2024, 07:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What a lovely home!
Given what it's being used for, I don't think I'd call it a home now.

Lately I've been on an anti-STR streak. Yes, they bring in money for the owner - which may well be a business that has several of these - but they can also do real damage to a neighborhood, especially if they're totally unregulated, and in many areas they are not.
Old 09-28-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
From a local, I'd say this is the time of year not to visit. Unless you like crowds and a lot of traffic. But I get it, it's beautiful in early fall.

Most of the quaint small towns like Woodstock VT are going to be fully booked, I'd think. But maybe not.
I write this from Woodstock. It's crowded now but not yet to peak craziness. In 2 weeks it will be absolutely bonkers. The hiking around here is great (AT is about 2 miles from our house, with many other options). The riding around here is sublime, but can be difficult to sort out. PM if you want suggestions.

We're 2 hours flat from Boston. Restaurants here are good for a tiny little town, but it's limited. Worthy Kitchen is a must-do dinner, Woodstock Butcher shop sandwiches feed a family and are incredible. Ransom Tavern up the hill in South Woodstock is amazing. If you regularly win lotteries you might have the luck to get a table at Cloudland Farm. Let me know how it goes if you do - 2 years of trying and nothing yet. Woodstock Wheels does ebike rentals which lets less dedicated riders get to the great routes and views.

There are views here so stunning that the roads get closed because too many people just park in the road and gape/take pictures to post on IG. They let bikes through, though.

I agree with NHAero that the Presidential range in NH is killer for hiking. VT hiking is under canopy a ton with frequent breathtaking views. nce you get up yay high in the Presidentials it's 360* crazy views 100% of the time. The Bridal Veil hike from Franconia is amazing.

Have fun.
Old 09-28-2024, 09:09 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
If you regularly win lotteries you might have the luck to get a table at Cloudland Farm.
BBC recently had a related story. Hopefully the OP isn't an IG influencer...

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...ed-influencers

Old 09-28-2024, 12:31 PM

Following with interest. I love NH and VT. Both within striking distance for me and I visit regularly. All my trips are cycling related so I've not weighed in with suggestions as the OP indicated not having bikes. Needless to say, awesome cycling in all parts of both states, and the gravel in VT in particular. Maine is awesome too and I am fortunate to have beautiful cycling minutes from my door, as well as the obligatory quaint NE seaside towns up the coast. For NH, I sometimes drive to Westons Beach in Fryeburg or Attitash ski area parking lot in Bartlett and all the notches are within striking distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
BBC recently had a related story. Hopefully the OP isn't an IG influencer...

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...ed-influencers
That is a shame about the instagram/influencer effect. I dont understand it as it seems like experiencing these places is secondary to documenting it in a photo. Indeed, most all the photos (I checked out a few on IG) have the poster posing in the photo. It's not enough to just photograph the place. What happened with this Sleepy Hollow place could have just as easily happened to any number of beautiful places.

This love/hate thing with the tourists is also a recurring theme. Another place we've seen that play out was East Burke.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:10 PM

From the Boston Globe -For what it's worth, as I have no idea of its worthiness.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/09/...ly-hikes/?p1=B GSearch_Overlay_Results
Old 09-29-2024, 07:01 AM

Next town over they just mowed the lupines down as it’s getting so crazy. We have both lupine and the leaves to contend with.

https://www.wcax.com/2024/05/30/inun...ve-had-enough/