Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2024, 08:43 PM

Not me but a buddy has two identical bikes, apart from color - wheels, saddle, tires, even bar tape. Specific rig too - Custom Steel Gravel bike with a Rohloff. He has no other bikes, just those two, one green, one grayish green.

I asked him why; he told me he broke a few derailleurs one year, and he couldn't stand having downtime. I replied it's hard to imagine a Rohloff having down time, he just stared at me like I just insulted him.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
This is a fine experiment
How much do the different wheelsets matter?
Nice !

Well, I see these bikes as siblings, not triplets. So while you see three wheel sets on the bikes (conventional wheels with CK hubs, older Shamal Mille, and Lightweight Meilensteins), the Kirk DNA of smoothness is always there no matter the wheel set. In fact, the orange one now has Campy WTO 33 clinchers and there's a bit more aero oomph I noticed today on my return home with a nice tailwind, but the comfort, assured medium speed turn in and steadiness on descents are always there.

So I guess I'm saying the wheels only change things at the margin.

HTH, Tim
Old 05-20-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Wait which allez sprint disc do you have that clears 32s? I looked at one and seller said it didn't!
It’s a 2019. I had GP5000 TL 32c tires on the bike. They were tight but they fit. I’d guess that I had 3-4mm clearance on the rear between the seat stays. The front was fine. The newer model I’ve heard can handle 32mm tires with a bit more space.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:34 PM

Ehhh maybe coming to my senses a little bit unfortunately. CAAD13 disc stated tire clearance is 30mm. While they likely would do 32s just fine, I guess I don't particularly want to have to think about what rims I'm using with the tires and find out all this stuff the hard way...
Old 05-21-2024, 01:20 AM

Well.. yes.

and

--

And no......because I must admit I'm not planning to keep the rim-brake one -- I don't think. The disc one is just more my speed and more enjoyable all around. The rim one I could build lighter for very specific climbing purposes, I suppose. Maybe I'd feel differently if I found a 2020 version w DM rim-brakes.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:58 AM

It’s a lot less strange than looking to buy another bike when you don’t ride enough to justify the two you already have (which is my situation, lol)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Same bike. Rim brake and disc brake variants.

One of each.

same frame.
different bike after you build it.

It’s fine. If you like the bike and it works for you.

Ask runners, musicians, skiers…. They all have multiples.

Instagram
Old 05-21-2024, 07:41 AM

I like having two bikes for every type of riding. To keep bikes in Tip top shape they take maintenance. Sometimes you just don't feel like doing it, or something breaks - hop on the other.

It also nice to always have one or two(road and gravel) set-up with Fenders for wet days or after a lot of rain when there is a lot of crap on the road.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:54 AM

Last I checked this was in fact the paceline....hahaha

I have two Serotta Nova Specials, technically one is an X and will fit 30-32mm tires but essentially the same. I almost bought a third one until a friend kicked some sense into me.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:15 AM

Being able to go to a vacation place, and no longer have to bring a bike I love to ride along with me, but have it there! That’s been a great satisfaction. So, along with others in this thread, a Kirk at each place is the bomb, as is travelling with just a carry on. A retirement reward.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Being able to go to a vacation place, and no longer have to bring a bike I love to ride along with me, but have it there! That’s been a great satisfaction. So, along with others in this thread, a Kirk at each place is the bomb, as is travelling with just a carry on. A retirement reward.
Haha, I haven't technically started working yet since I'm still legally a 'trainee'. One more year!

Retirement? That's a wayyyyssss offf
Old 05-21-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Haha, I haven't technically started working yet since I'm still legally a 'trainee'. One more year!

Retirement? That's a wayyyyssss offf
Hah. If all goes well, one hits certain milestones. The great thing is to still be riding through it all. Good luck with your trainee/internship in Philly, where I have a daughter and other family.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Hah. If all goes well, one hits certain milestones. The great thing is to still be riding through it all. Good luck with your trainee/internship in Philly, where I have a daughter and other family.
It's a good spot! I'm at the children's hospital this year and will be at penn next year... For hopefully my final year. 😬