Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreader View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I'd really like the new crankset to have access to the range of 1x SRAM 11sp rings that I already own (36-42 teeth). That's why I'd really like to know if the SRAM 11sp 3-bolt spider fit onto the Alba and/or the Zayante.
I have a SRAM 10 speed MTB 120/80 spider on my Zayante carbon cranks (with TA chainrings)
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I have a SRAM 10 speed MTB 120/80 spider on my Zayante carbon cranks (with TA chainrings)
I'm going to guess that the SRAM spider is an X0/X1 spider (intended for carbon cranks)? X9 alloy cranks have a narrower profile, and the "recess" in the spider is narrower. I have a Praxis Doon (carbon) crank and it is too wide to fit an X9 spider. It looks like it might fit an X0/X1 spider, but I have not tried it.

Likewise, SRAM Force road spiders have a wider recess for SRAM carbon cranks, and SRAM Rival spiders have a narrower recess for SRAM alloy cranks, so I suspect an SRAM Rival spider may not fit a carbon Praxis crank.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

This is what I have on the Habanero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7588.jpg (101.4 KB, 21 views)
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

What is the situation with Dub crank arms on a BB30 or GXP spider? I have two Quarq cranksets I want to convert from 175mm to 170mm for fit purposes. One is BB30 road, the other is a GXP mtb dfour. I’d happily buy the BB30/gxp arms but Dub seems to be all that is available. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
What is the situation with Dub crank arms on a BB30 or GXP spider? I have two Quarq cranksets I want to convert from 175mm to 170mm for fit purposes. One is BB30 road, the other is a GXP mtb dfour. I’d happily buy the BB30/gxp arms but Dub seems to be all that is available. Thanks!
On the road side, for 12spd SRAM has moved to 8 bolt spiders, and from BB30 to DUB spindles (GXP spindles are still available), so just about any DUB road crank will use 8 bolt spiders. But 11spd GXP and BB30 3-bolt cranks are still available, such as these:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&gad_source=1
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2978

Looking around you can probably find them cheaper than this.
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreader View Post
I need some help that is closely related to this discussion. I'm building up a Crockett frame for my kid, I want to use existing SRAM 11sp shifters/derailleur and use the different chainrings I already own.

The problem is, I want to get him 160mm crank arms and they never made an 11sp Rival1/Force1 crankset that short.

So I'm looking at Praxis Alba or Zayante crank arms. They use 3-bolt spider / direct mount! They come in 160mm!

I just can't find out if I can use a 11sp Rival1 and/or a 11sp Force1 spider on them.
What year Crockett and what BB does it have?

I thought I remembered the older Crocketts were limited to GXP/shimano spindles due to the BB86 bearing size which leaves DUB/30mm spindles out.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
On the road side, for 12spd SRAM has moved to 8 bolt spiders, and from BB30 to DUB spindles (GXP spindles are still available), so just about any DUB road crank will use 8 bolt spiders. But 11spd GXP and BB30 3-bolt cranks are still available, such as these:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&gad_source=1
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2978

Looking around you can probably find them cheaper than this.
This is for 8 bolt spiders. So for the BB30 road spider I can just get Dub crank arms, no issues? And for the GXP mtb spider I should be able to find GXP crank arms? I can’t seem to find GXP crank arms anywhere. Would Dub crank arms work with the GXP spider?

Last edited by baker; Yesterday at 08:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
This is for 8 bolt spiders. So for the BB30 road spider I can just get Dub crank arms, no issues? And for the GXP mtb spider I should be able to find GXP crank arms?
Ah, I thought it was the other way around (looking for 3 bolt BB30 road cranks). 12 Dub road cranks with removealble spiders will use 8 bolt spiders. Of course, you'll need a new DUB bottom bracket, but DUB bottom brackets are available for just about any BB shell type that can also use BB30 spindles.

I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable about MTB cranks.
Old Today, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Ah, I thought it was the other way around (looking for 3 bolt BB30 road cranks). 12 Dub road cranks with removealble spiders will use 8 bolt spiders. Of course, you'll need a new DUB bottom bracket, but DUB bottom brackets are available for just about any BB shell type that can also use BB30 spindles.

I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable about MTB cranks.
The thread is mostly about 3 bolt so your assumption makes sense. Apologies for the slight hijack.

I was still a little confused so I contacted Quarq and they got right back to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarq
Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to rider support. I'd love to help you with your question.

If you have a pre-Dub power meter spider mounted to a Dub crankset, you can possibly experience shifting issues since the spacing is different on Dub cranks and BB30 cranks. It would push the chainrings outboard, and the front derailleur may not have enough throw to shift into the biggest gear.

The current Dub power meter spiders must be paired with the current Dub cranksets. The Current Dub power meter spiders use the SRAM Dub 8-bolt direct mount interface. Some pre-Dub cranks have the same 8-bolt mounting interface, but the lateral spacing is where things get rough. There was roughly a 1 mm lateral change with the Dub debut in 2019, and pairing Dub w/ non-Dub will likely cause crank/power meter contact, poor chainline, poor front derailleur shifting, and potential frame clearance issues.

1x Drivetrains
Non-Dub Spider + Dub Crank = OK
Dub Spider + Non-Dub Crank = Potential Frame Clearance Issues

2x Drivetrains
Non-Dub Spider + Dub Crankset = Potential shifting issues
Dub Spider + Non-Dub Crankset = Potential Frame Clearance Issues and Potential Shifting Issues

If you want to change crankarm lengths with a Dub crankset, we recommend getting a Dub power meter spider to make sure everything is spaced correctly.

If you want to change crankarm lengths with your existing power meter, then we recommend trying to find the 170 BB30 crankarms. However, SRAM has discontinued all of their BB30 and GXP cranksets.
This is for 1x so I might just go for the Dub crank arms. They are cheaper than used BB30 on EBay too. About the same factoring in a new BB I guess.

I remember from the early Boost days that chainrings with different offsets were available, eg from Wolf Tooth. Maybe I can address the spacing issue that way.

Tags
praxis, sram spider