Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2024, 02:10 PM

My approach have been to check my pedals & shoes & clothes & any tools, stem, parts, etc.. I might need on a rental in my checked bag and I make sure I don't take anything so expensive I'm going to cry too much. (Shoes would be the most annoying thing to lose.)

The DSLR comparison is telling. I have had issues with my camera stuff before, especially my big telephoto lens. It is absolutely large enough and metal enough to be a weapon and it has been an issue. It is too expensive to risk losing in a checked bag though. I have had them open it up, look through it, and test it for explosive residue, but they have never tried to confiscate it, and it's been some years since I've been given a hard time. They seem to know what it is with the amazing new scanners they have.

I flew with that big lens last week and they didn't give me any trouble, and it was 1000% worth having on the trip.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
My approach have been to check ...
Which is a total PITA for those of us who usually don't check bags.

Last time I checked bags, it took hours to get them from baggage claim (IAD).

Last time my dad traveled for work, the airline list his checked bags. He was headed into Iraq, so that sucked. He had to buy a bunch of clothes at the airport (or on base, I forget) before hopping on an Army helicopter (construction industry, this was post-war but still not a place to walk out and go shopping, surveying bases for transition into State Dept facilities, IIRC).

So, I just don't check bags any more. Not TSA's fault, just my reasoning for doing carry-on only.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:19 PM

Ship/checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I checked my plane ticket and it costs $35 to check a bag (Delta) so I just shipped a box 2nd Day Air UPS for $17 (Pirateship, $58 retail!) and now I don't have to check luggage. I gotta fit my helmet and leg brace in my carryon, but worst case I'll wear them!

* this…I ship my bike ahead of time (in a DaKine bike bag) of the event. And depending on what happens/logistics, I fly back with it. Understanding that it is generally more important to have it for the event in question (vs. back home where there are more because you N+whatever(.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:20 PM
Back At It!

there's a reason I try and only fly Alaska.. and maybe United.. been pretty lucky so far, but I also avoid flying whenever I can..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Which is a total PITA for those of us who usually don't check bags.

Last time I checked bags, it took hours to get them from baggage claim (IAD).

Last time my dad traveled for work, the airline list his checked bags. He was headed into Iraq, so that sucked. He had to buy a bunch of clothes at the airport (or on base, I forget) before hopping on an Army helicopter (construction industry, this was post-war but still not a place to walk out and go shopping, surveying bases for transition into State Dept facilities, IIRC).

So, I just don't check bags any more. Not TSA's fault, just my reasoning for doing carry-on only.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:31 PM

If it's that big of an issue you can just buy more bike stuff at your destination if you're unwilling to check a bag?

We've had one bag get lost in the last 15 years, the airline sent a courier with it to our hotel the next day. Granted we have never flown to the middle east.

We pack an outfit in a carry on, we will take 2 checked bags and 1 carry on for the 3 of us when we travel as a family. If they totally lose everything at least we all have two outfits. If we're going somewhere cold/rainy the coats/jackets/raingear stay in the carry on. Electronics and stuff like that goes in backpacks that can fit under the seat.

The biggest thing that would suck for me to lose would be my Lake shoes. I am kind of expecting they would pass in a carry on. But I could also just take my MTB shoes, they aren't even as expensive as some sneakers.

Last edited by benb; 08-29-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
We've had one bag get lost in the last 15 years, the airline sent a courier with it to our hotel the next day. Granted we have never flown to the middle east.
How many couriers have a UH-60 for deliveries? IIRC, dad's bags got forwarded to base and eventually dropped off, but there was no guarantees once the airline handed off to the Army/Dept State in Baghdad.

The other thing - apparently the airline has no obligation to go out of their way to deliver lost luggage. I still remember a return trip from London many years ago... there was a school group seated near me, one of the students had her bags lost on their outbound flight (from US to UK). The luggage appeared the next day, but the group had already taken a bus from London to Scotland or someplace. The airline (a big-name carrier, not a budget airline) refused to courier it that far. The poor girl had to borrow/buy clothes until they got back to London for their return flight. Again, nothing to do with the TSA, I just hate checking bags because when it goes wrong, it often goes very wrong.

Last edited by Alistair; 08-29-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It probably costs more to carry on the bag than check but you save some time I just paid $104RT on frontier to have the privilege of carrying my bag with me.
Carryon is supposed ot be free, plus one "personal item", which may be my helmet!
Old 08-29-2024, 05:46 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Carryon is supposed ot be free, plus one "personal item", which may be my helmet!
depends on your airline..
Old 08-29-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
depends on your airline..
I dunno, that's what Delta sez on their web site, but I could always get surprised
Old 08-29-2024, 06:20 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
I dunno, that's what Delta sez on their web site, but I could always get surprised
I've never been charged for my carry-on while flying Delta.. in fact, if it's a full flight and I don't have to have a speedy exit at the other end, I'll usually gate check my bag so I don't have to deal with it on a layover.. (still have my backpack).. and that's free if they need space..

I think some of the super cheap airlines like Frontier charges you for a carry-on right from the get-go, but I've never heard of a mainline airline doing that..
Old 08-29-2024, 07:27 PM

I know that a chain and cassette are considered weapons at the Colorado Springs airport.
...at least mine were.