Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2024, 08:38 AM

Looking at my Park chain whip, it has pins with nuts holding the chain bits on. It seems as though I could swap out the chains with narrower 11 speed bits to fit my cassettes better (?)
Old 09-21-2024, 08:46 AM

I'm not clear either on how it's not working out for you.

I usually put the whip on the biggest cog and then use the lockring remover.

Is the whip slipping on you?

Only thing I hate about the whip is that it gets greasy but no issues otherwise.

Have considered the pliers style but just too cheap to replace a tool that works fine.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:16 AM

I don't love them either but I learned to slow down and set everything right. No hurry.

Used all those mentioned in shops but at home I have Pedro's Pro with the little spring loaded hook. If I was a paid mechanic I'd care more.

And do not over torque.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
For $17 at the local decathlon store. Works well... I was a little skeptical, but has spacing for 5 different sizes. 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.
What brand is that? Seems to be about the most universal fitting of these type tools.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
What brand is that? Seems to be about the most universal fitting of these type tools.
It is the decathlon brand, that I have also used as a hammer. Hahahah. Shimano pedal for scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240921_162802_Gallery.jpg (98.7 KB, 210 views)
Old 09-21-2024, 01:09 PM

Also confused about possible injury when the direction of force necessary is not directed toward any teeth. Dig the simplicity of a chain whip.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:50 PM

Hmm. I have changed literally thousands of cassettes in my days, and I can't say I've ever had a problem with a standard chain whip assuming that your lock ring tool fits snugly. But my problems have only ever been with that side of the equation, not with the whips themselves.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:20 PM

I use the park whip along with one of their lock ring tools that has a huge nut. I then bought the socket that fits over the lock ring tool and use it with a big bar for removal and my large torque wrench for tightening.

For a lock ring at 45Nm this requires almost no force due to the leverage of the tools.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:33 PM

I have two chain whips, one for track pitch and the other for my road bikes. I've have hurt myself doing stupid **** while working on bikes, but the chain whip was never at fault. The track is a Wheels Manufacturing and the road/mtb is a Park model. I use a cassette tool and a socket with breaker bar. It's not that much effort. XDR is probably the easiest.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:05 PM

I have a Park whip and always use a long beam torque wrench (old Craftsman 3/8) with a big fat socket and socket-style cassette lockring removal tool (have a couple different versions). Never a problem with that. Then again, I am only working on 10 and 11 speed, so if you're skinnier than that (12 spd), maybe today's chain whips are too big of a chain.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:20 PM
Randomhead

I have a chain whip I bought in the '70s, so it has 1/8" chain on it. Never had any problems with it on any cassette. I usually get it seated and hold on to a couple of spokes to stabilize it. I have used the pedro's pliers. They are better in that they require a little less coordination.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:22 PM

Love the Stein tool. Saw it mentioned in a thread a couple of months ago. If I didn't know it existed, I'd run out and buy the Park tool. I too hate the whip (ahem!)
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 09-21-2024, 03:52 PM

I made a Rube Goldberg thing to remove cassettes...vice grips, length of old chain, scrap 2x4 lumber...works, but not very 'elegant' and I sorta dread using it so don't remove the cogs as often as I'd like for cleaning.

after reading this thread, decided to go ahead and get a Pedro's, 'cause nice tools are nice.
Old 09-21-2024, 05:16 PM
ZhugeLiang

muscle memory?

over the years as I maintained my bikes there are so many tasks I can remember difficult to perform or met with some challenges at the beginning and then over time maybe found a better or more efficient way to do it I dunno, somehow they become "easier" or don't even have to think about it....this is one of them.

I still hate removing bottom brackets.
Old 09-22-2024, 06:09 AM

Sometimes our tools teach us something. Cheap chain whips no. Having a poor quality lockring tool no. Lost some skin off my knuckles yes, wear gloves when removing lockring yes. Would you ride without eye protection? No!