Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Man that’s terrible. What kind of sick jerk gets their jollies from throwing crap like that in a bike lane.
Many years ago, when I was still mt biking, I rode down a narrow trail I had not been on before. It was fairly dense foliage but had a clear path. Just as I was about to go between two trees I saw someone had stung wire right about face height, when on a bike. It was rusted so must have been there for a while.

It took me a few minutes to dismantle the trap but I kept wondering what kind of scum would do this. It was days like that I wished for the next extinction level asteroid.

Tim
Old 09-07-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
The kind of jerk that throws a beer can at you when he rides by in his pick up truck. Has happened to me.
and then rolls on the coal kind of asshat.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Until the QC and price for TPU tubes settles down a bit, I'm sticking to cheap butyl in my road bike and tubeless on the gravel and off-road bikes. I have some TPU spares for the mountain bikes, because weight/size, but can't imagine relying on them long-term given the horror stories I've seen here and elsewhere.
I buy em in bulk from aliexpress these days tbh, but i only use them on one bike and keep them as spares for my disc gravel and road bike. I use heavy as all get out tubes on my commuter.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:10 PM

A bunch of the people I ride with haven’t been happy with their TPU experience. A mate flatted one a couple weeks back and I got to see it in person. It seemed like a condom for your bike tire. No thanks.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:58 PM

Man, I go back and forth with Tubolitos and TPUs in general. I loathe tubeless and generally appreciate that TPUs and Tubolitos are on average better for the environment. I've found that Tubolitos have been incredibly easy to patch and the patches have held very well. However, I have been relatively disappointed with how many flats I have gotten since adopting them. Some of that is user error, some of that are situational issues. Classic YMMV. But, on the whole I definitely like them more than traditional tubes.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:04 PM

picked up sharp piece of bone and patched with a Schwalbe gluless patch and on the way I went..was 40 miles into a 60 mile ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7373.jpg (148.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 09-25-2024, 05:34 AM

I had a flat a few weeks ago hitting a recently placed pavement reflector that the groove cut in the pavement was not as deep as the others. I had another flat hitting a maybe 1.5” high rock on the pavement as I was returning home from a training ride. Happened about 1/2 block from my house and made it to the house before all the air went out. Snake bite. At least I was able to change the tube in the comfort of my home.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:03 AM

TPU punctures

I'm currently running Ridenow TPU tubes with metal valves. The other day, I rode over some gnarly RR tracks and within 200' both tires went down. Had spares and changed them out. Back home I tried the patches supplied with the tubes but they would not hold air for more than 15 minutes. Thru a little research here on this great forum, I purchased the Park GP-2 pre-glued patches and they are awesome. No issues at all.
Old 09-25-2024, 12:13 PM
Vendor

I had an odd experience with a Tubolito where it somehow ended up with a bunch of micro-sized holes. I ended up tossing it. I bought a few knock-off Tubolitos called Ride Now as a last resort emergency spare if sealant or tire plugs somehow fail. They got a somewhat positive review on Radavist. Couldn't argue with the price.
Old 09-25-2024, 12:27 PM
Pack fill

I have had Ridenow orange tubes in since spring time on 4 bikes. So far no flats or any other issues. I changed tires on 2 of those bikes. Removed the old tires and tubes carefully and mounted new Victoria Rubino Pros with no issue, but I was extra careful compared to butyl tubes. So far so good
Old 09-25-2024, 01:39 PM

I just got some RideNow tubes with the metal valve stem. Where does the O-ring go? There are two patches and one that looks like it goes over the valve stem. Is that one supposed to be used to patch a tube or as protection for the tube before mounting? Installation instructions do not specify.