Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2024, 06:38 AM

Currently using a Magicshine 200 for rear light for a month. Works great.$36.76 on Amazon. I've had other lights, more expensive, that for one reason or another went bye bye from Trek to Lupine.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:09 AM

Varia
Old 09-16-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
Currently using a Magicshine 200 for rear light for a month. Works great.$36.76 on Amazon. I've had other lights, more expensive, that for one reason or another went bye bye from Trek to Lupine.
I also have two of those. Not blindingly bright for daytime but bright enough.
Seems well made.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:58 AM
what's a little rust?

I’m about to try magicshine for the first time. I’ve used light and motion for several years, and they’re reaching the telltale stage in which the button sometimes doesn’t work regardless of charge state. Past experience tells me that’s a sign of the end times.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:05 AM

Have a look at Restrap's super affordable "light mount" solution... Haven't tried it yet, but really want to. And I think it looks ace.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:19 AM

Good to hear about Magicshine. Have they converted to USB C? If so, I might pick one up.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfee View Post
Have a look at Restrap's super affordable "light mount" solution... Haven't tried it yet, but really want to. And I think it looks ace.
Those are neat! Paul makes a similar, fancier version too: https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...o-light-mount/
Old 09-16-2024, 10:40 AM
Registered (ab)User

Neither of these are "new" but if the Niterider Solas or PlanetBike Superflash USB tailights that I own ever screw the pooch, I'm just going to try to find identical replacements. There is nothing about either that I find lacking or that I would imagine could be improved* and they both come with seatstay mounting brackets.

* ...well, okay, the switching logic -- turning the unit on/off and selecting its blinking/non-blinking pattern -- of the Superflash USB is marginally better than that of the Solas, so I'd lean towards another Superflash.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:08 AM

Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Good to hear about Magicshine. Have they converted to USB C? If so, I might pick one up.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:13 PM
what's a little rust?

I was a fan of the Superflash until I realized they were shutting off on their own during cold rides, like 30s Fahrenheit and below. I’d start a cold commute with a fully charged light turned on, and at the finish it would be off while still having plenty of charge. Happened to me with more than one Superflash, but this was several years ago so perhaps they no longer do that.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:34 PM

One rear light that I is different is a Tailgator. What makes this light unique is it has a motion detection system so when you slow down, it lights up like a car brake and gets brighter! Kind of trick. But it does cost $80 with free shipping, so a tad more expensive than what you want to pay.

Check it out:

https://tailgatortechnologies.com/pr...4lhNkrYoNk362U

Good Luck!
Old 09-16-2024, 01:12 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
I was a fan of the Superflash until I realized they were shutting off on their own during cold rides, like 30s Fahrenheit and below. I’d start a cold commute with a fully charged light turned on, and at the finish it would be off while still having plenty of charge. Happened to me with more than one Superflash, but this was several years ago so perhaps they no longer do that.
Huh, fascinating. I had a non-USB Superflash on my commuter bike for ~10 years of riding throughout NYC winters, and never experienced that issue. And my Superflash USB has been out on dozens of sub-30°F early morning and/or winter weekend rides over the years, again, problem-free. :shrugs:
Old 09-16-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
One rear light that I is different is a Tailgator. What makes this light unique is it has a motion detection system so when you slow down, it lights up like a car brake and gets brighter! Kind of trick.

Exposure's tail lights do this too.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
One rear light that I is different is a Tailgator. What makes this light unique is it has a motion detection system so when you slow down, it lights up like a car brake and gets brighter! Kind of trick. But it does cost $80 with free shipping, so a tad more expensive than what you want to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Exposure's tail lights do this too.
Some <$20 chinese special lights I keep on my kids bikes do this as well. In addition to the accelerometer for braking detection (goes bright and solid) they also use that accelerometer and ambient light sensor to start the light when it is moving. Not as bright as some of the others but a great grab and go solution.

RockBros Q5 and some other names. Very slick and tidy as a saddle rail mounted light if you don't need a flat kit there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154195397086?var=454316434138

https://www.amazon.com/ROCKBROS-Rech.../dp/B09VYY4V88

At the higher end of the spectrum I would also strongly recommend the Varia for radar function or the Niterider Sentry 260 for brightness and overall visibility due to size/shape of the light. I also have some decade old Cygolite Hotshots that still work just fine.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:45 PM

My two favorite are the Super Flash and the Cateye. I personally like the battery powered ones, and not rechargeable. They last such a long time.

if it's not a dyne-powered rear, it's all I use now.

Cateye 5 is $15. Hard to beat that