Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I suppose diseases can appear during any time period but this one has way too much correlation with the move to sedentary lifestyles and increased consumption of processed foods to call it a disease. Or maybe ignorance of nutrition and basic understanding of requirements to keep one healthy is a disease?
I don't know whether or not calling something a "disease" matters for the discussion.

I don't know the OP personally, but his description sounds pretty close to the prototype of obesity in America. He has a full time job, family education, and some additional mental health struggles. He's not 500 lbs, but has probably gained a few pounds every year for the last 20 or so years, and now he's significantly above his healthiest weight.

I don't think there's any indication that he is unaware that he should eat less, eat healthier, and exercise more. But it sounds like he has other obligations in his life that make that challenging for him to execute. This is where, in my opinion, weight loss drugs provide a lot of value. As a practical matter, "eat better and exercise more" is a reliable way to get to a healthy weight, but telling someone "eat better and exercise more" is not effective in achieving that outcome. Weight loss drugs appear to be much more effective at getting people to eat better than any amount of education.
Old Today, 11:05 AM

Get Training Peaks and log your workouts. Try to increase your weekly load within the program to gain fitness. That will help burn calories and track track your progress. Cut out the junk food and unhealthy choices. None of these pharmaceuticals are without side effects so beware.
Old Today, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Not to get too deep into the weeds about this, but 40 lbs overweight according to whom or what? I think that’s something worth considering.
According to their doctor. And to themselves when comparing historical weight data.
Old Today, 11:13 AM
Meh

Quote:
I would not. Food is required to live and historically has shown if active and not eating too many calories the majority of people won’t be obese.. It’s not proven poison.
There is plenty of evidence that this isn't really true. The strongest predictor of adult obesity is parental (specifically maternal) obesity.

Meanwhile, the evidence for diets is overwhelming - they do not work over the medium to long term. This is not because people haven't tried hard enough.

Obesity is a health problem, like any other. Moralizing about it has not worked, just as it hasn't worked for drug and alcohol dependence.
Old Today, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so in case there is any confusion, I am the person who is considering taking the meds..

1. per BMI (yes, it has it's issues), I am obese.. at 5' 8.5", I hover around 220-225#.. 39-40" waist..

2. per most height/weight charts, I would be at least 40# over where I should be..

3. After a 30 yr career in the military, I have been diagnosed with PTSD with persistent depression.

4. I am not set on taking the meds as I am aware of the side effects for sure and they don't sound fun for many of the folks.. they also sound like they can be very effective in taking off 10-20% of the weight in a fairly short time..

5. I'm still waiting to talk to my Doc, so not even sure if it's a possibility yet..

I appreciate the thoughtful comments and even some of the others..
I honestly have never understood why so many people are against using meds to help with issues like this, or any other issues. TRT would be another example...

If you are doing the best -you- can do, and the weight isn't coming off, and your doc is OK with you giving Ozempic a try, then I don't see the issue.

From everything I've read, you are -not- necessarily on it for life. Depends on the person and how well they can hold the weight off on their own.
Old Today, 11:15 AM

They still haven't figure out what happens to people with these drugs after 10, 15, 20 years.

Way to many supposedly great drugs have turned out to have way more serious long term effects and then they get pulled off the market.
Old Today, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
There is plenty of evidence that this isn't really true. The strongest predictor of adult obesity is parental (specifically maternal) obesity.

Meanwhile, the evidence for diets is overwhelming - they do not work over the medium to long term. This is not because people haven't tried hard enough.

Obesity is a health problem, like any other. Moralizing about it has not worked, just as it hasn't worked for drug and alcohol dependence.
It shouldn’t be surprising one born from such parents would have similar results…you live their lifestyle and shocker, you end up like them. It doesn’t help they tee you up with crap to work with while in the womb.

Most diets are fads and not sustainable, again, no surprise they fail.
Old Today, 11:23 AM

Quote:
It shouldn’t be surprising one born from such parents would have similar results…you live their lifestyle and shocker, you end up like them. It doesn’t help they tee you up with crap to work with while in the womb.

Most diets are fads and not sustainable, again, no surprise they fail.
Its not all due to lifestyle, def genetics involved too.
My parents are over weight. I lead a very different lifestyle than them, grew up bike racing, switched to multisport 12 years ago, train 10-15 hours of hard cardio per week, 2-3 resistance training sessions per week, and eat reasonably healthy. At 5'10, I have a hell of a time getting under 185 pounds. Many people around me at the office do no exercise, eat kfc, and are taller than me and weigh less....
Old Today, 11:32 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Many people around me at the office do no exercise, eat kfc, and are taller than me and weigh less....
when I first joined the Coast Guard I had a maximum weight I could be based on height and "frame size".. frame size came from measuring around your dominant wrist.. then we went to body fat (if you were over your max weight) determined by measuring your waist and neck and subtracting the neck from the waist measurement and then going to height chart and using that sum to figure out your body fat.. not really scientific..

in all of that, there was never an option to pass a physical test to see if you were functional (despite some of the jobs requiring a test).. finally, within the last few years, the CG has allowed members to meet weight requirements (checked twice a year) by passing a physical fitness test.. this makes sense since, as you said, just cause someone is skinny doesn't mean they are fit.. the CG has a lot of Pacific Islanders who aren't often skinny, but can pick you up out of the water with one hand..
Old Today, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Its not all due to lifestyle, def genetics involved too.
My parents are over weight. I lead a very different lifestyle than them, grew up bike racing, switched to multisport 12 years ago, train 10-15 hours of hard cardio per week, 2-3 resistance training sessions per week, and eat reasonably healthy. At 5'10, I have a hell of a time getting under 185 pounds. Many people around me at the office do no exercise, eat kfc, and are taller than me and weigh less....
But if you changed that reasonably healthy to very healthy and focused would you have the same outcome? I know I don’t. Surely I’m not an anomaly. If I eat only Whole Foods (nearly all veggies and fruits) and only have water, changing nothing else, given I’m consistently active, I’ll easily drop a pound a week. Add beer and we stabilize
Old Today, 11:48 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
But if you changed that reasonably healthy to very healthy and focused would you have the same outcome? I know I don’t. Surely I’m not an anomaly. If I eat only Whole Foods (nearly all veggies and fruits) and only have water, changing nothing else, given I’m consistently active, I’ll easily drop a pound a week. Add beer and we stabilize
I would say everyone is different, whether we're talking genetics or ability to shop at Whole Foods.. you might assume anyone on this forum has the means to shop at Whole Foods or order special meals, but I'm fairly certain that's not the case.. not saying that's my issue, but I'm also not the forum member that's driving around in an $80-$100k car and wearing a $10k watch.. (not saying you are either, just a point)

I'm certain there are plenty folks on this forum that are on a more limited budget than others..
Old Today, 11:50 AM

Weight Loss

I don't have an opinion either way on these weight loss drugs. But I do know that the health care industry and big pharma like you to be on their medications. As I age, one of my big goals is to not need any daily prescriptions.

Before you get on one of the meds, I suggest trying to get real about your weight and track input vs. out for a while.
Earlier this summer I started to use a phone App called Macros and paired it with a fitness App called Athlytic. I also wear an Apple watch and pull ride data from Strava.
With this I can easily see what I am eating, and how that correlated to the activities I am doing. I can see if I am in a positive or negative energy balance.
Basically, it becomes apparent if you are eating too much and exercising too little. Also, you can easily see where you are falling down in terms of quantity or quality of diet (if you are honest with what you log).

For me, I needed to eat more and eat more during the earlier part of the day. Often I would need to add a substantial stack to the evening in order to hit my caloric needs.

I think a lot of folks think that they eat well when in fact they do not.
Old Today, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I would say everyone is different, whether we're talking genetics or ability to shop at Whole Foods.. you might assume anyone on this forum has the means to shop at Whole Foods or order special meals, but I'm fairly certain that's not the case.. not saying that's my issue, but I'm also not the forum member that's driving around in an $80-$100k car and wearing a $10k watch.. (not saying you are either, just a point)

I'm certain there are plenty folks on this forum that are on a more limited budget than others..
That was auto cap. I dont mean the company. I mean eat only real foods that aren’t processed. Aka don’t come out of a box or plastic. Currently consuming an excellent pear from WalMart.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; Today at 11:54 AM.
Old Today, 11:55 AM

So, I'll drop in with some relevant info. My wife's sister, and later my wife (they use the same doctor) have tried these as they were both struggling with getting baby weight off, and had very good success with it, despite diet and exercise and some lifestyle changes in our house.

The downside is that there's a real lack of energy and fatigue and exercise is much more difficult and endurance or intense exercise is very much off the table - makes sense as glucose stores arent being emptied as fast.

So there's a very real trade off for cyclists/runners/etc, and it may make sense in the short term to get some weight off and make those other life changes and come back to a training plan in a better place with some rebuilding ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
C'mon.

There is a big difference between someone who is obese and a middle aged cyclist who has packed on a few too many pounds over the years.
That also doesnt mean its a moral failing, either, and its not fair and awful short sighted to paint everyone in that boat with a broad brush. Or it could be tied to other endocrine, health or mental health issues.
Old Today, 11:56 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
That was auto cap. I dont mean the company. I mean eat only real foods that aren’t processed. Aka don’t come out of a box or plastic. Currently consuming an excellent pear from WalMart.
ah, got it.. still, it's not always cheap to eat healthy.. again, probably not an issue for many on here (and I certainly can), but it would be an issue for some I bet..