Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2024, 08:56 PM

I've been running the Spec. Mondo in a 32 tubeless on all sorts of nasty pavement and hard-packed dirt without trouble. Also, can't go wring with the pathfinder.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:44 AM

Youve already decided on width and tread, the only other considerations are casing, flat protection, and tubeless or not. I've never bought into or seen the need for "endurance casing" or flat protection, road or gravel, light or otherwise. So supple casing and whether they are amenable to tubeless is the criteria. I generally only run tubeless on 48+ tires. So for a tubed slick 32 (or any size really) hard to beat RH, though some other viable choices here too. The Vittoria Corsa I have in 28 and they seem fine.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:39 AM
Bike Guy

Specialized Roubaix. Can’t go wrong with it. Pro version which is 2Bliss, but I rarely set mine up that way. Hopefully soon I will have a comparison against the Mondo. But I am running those in 35mm
Old 08-16-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Rene Herse makes a great 32mm slick and you've got a choice of casings from various levels up supple -> tough. I've ridden the extralights on some gravel roads without issues.
I like these much more than gravel kings. Also if you aren’t planning to run tubeless my all time favorite are panaracer paselas, which work great on light gravel too at a much lower cost than most other tires listed here.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:15 AM

Also surprised there are so few votes for the Conti GP5K and 5K AS. These tires are perfect for this - among the fastest tires of any type on pavement, yet durable enough to be a legitimate gravel tire. Most of my rides are between 20-50% gravel and I have tens of thousands of miles on these tires with, I think, two flats to date. My all-road bike is currently on the 35mm 5k AS and my road race bike on the regular 32mm GP5k.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Also surprised there are so few votes for the Conti GP5K and 5K AS. These tires are perfect for this - among the fastest tires of any type on pavement, yet durable enough to be a legitimate gravel tire. Most of my rides are between 20-50% gravel and I have tens of thousands of miles on these tires with, I think, two flats to date. My all-road bike is currently on the 35mm 5k AS and my road race bike on the regular 32mm GP5k.
Here is my vote for them...I use the Conti GP5K as my spring/summer/fall/winter and light off-road tire in 32mm.
Old 08-16-2024, 02:19 PM

I've used the Conti GP5000 S TR in 32mm, the Conti GP5000 AS TR in 35mm, and the Veloflex Corsa evo tlr in 32mm, and they were all great.

I think the veloflex gave the nicest ride, the 32mm conti's were the fastest, and the all season 35mm were best for the dirt.

But they were all great.

I've also had success with the RH 35mm and 38mm slicks, but they don't feel like road tires on the road.

Last edited by phishrabbi; 08-16-2024 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
What does your gravel look like?
Old 08-16-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
What does your gravel look like?
My backyard is central New York gravel which may be anything from better than most of our chipseal pavement to a MTB trail. Mostly I keep my road and all-road rides to Categories 1-2 with occasional ventures down a Cat 3 trail. My 35mm GP5k AS equipped bike will ride most anything, but I can't go as fast as on my wider gravel tires.

Some days are champagne gravel:

Other days are rougher.

Some days it's crisp and cold:

Fall is the best season:

Although summer can be awfully nice as well.

Old 08-16-2024, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Cadex Classics 32mm.

Made by Maxxis in Taiwan for Giant's high-end Cadex brand . Super supple, fast rolling, grippy, sensible tread pattern.

Not a "gravel" tyre, but a genuine all-road tyre designed for the classics, etc.

They aren't well known or marketed but I saw them mentioned (briefly) on a Ben Delaney video and I was happy for the intro.
Looks like a fancy spec roubaix pro
Old 08-17-2024, 07:07 AM

I have used everything from GK slicks to Challenge Strada Biancas. I like the GK slicks because they can typically be found at a reasonable price and ride pretty nicely!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
My backyard is central New York gravel which may be anything from better than most of our chipseal pavement to a MTB trail. Mostly I keep my road and all-road rides to Categories 1-2 with occasional ventures down a Cat 3 trail. My 35mm GP5k AS equipped bike will ride most anything, but I can't go as fast as on my wider gravel tires.

Some days are champagne gravel:

Other days are rougher.

Some days it's crisp and cold:

Fall is the best season:

Although summer can be awfully nice as well.

Where in CNY are you? Those look like some nice gravel roads!

Old 08-17-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Where in CNY are you? Those look like some nice gravel roads!

Just outside of Ithaca.
Old 08-17-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Specialized Roubaix. Can’t go wrong with it. Pro version which is 2Bliss, but I rarely set mine up that way. Hopefully soon I will have a comparison against the Mondo. But I am running those in 35mm
They ride great tubeless.

My Spec Roubaix pros measured 34 though. Had to pull them out of the TCR since the nubbins were rubbing on the frame!

I really like those tires. They're seeing a second life as commuter duty now and will be installed as the 'road tire' set on my second set of wheels on the gravel bike.
Old 08-17-2024, 12:29 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have used everything from GK slicks to Challenge Strada Biancas. I like the GK slicks because they can typically be found at a reasonable price and ride pretty nicely!

Agree, I have Strada B tubular in 30 and 36, they are nice. But the Slick GKs roll like a lighter tire road feel wise on pavement. Lower PSi on loose I can't [edit sorry] really notice a difference.

Last edited by robt57; 08-17-2024 at 02:09 PM.