Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
My framebuilder cant get the tubing he needs for my frame.
Ciocc in Italy has plenty of SL Niobium, and a 3-4 month lead time.

Jes sayin'...
Old 05-21-2021, 12:49 PM

Yes and no. Carl's build kits are very attractively priced and I think the labor to build is included (don't quote me on that, but I haven't seen any prices on his web site for assembly).

On the flip side, Carl couldn't get the Whisky No.9 Road Plus fork the frame is designed around, he could only place a backorder. So I bought one of three left at CC at retail - at the time, none on eBay for example. I would have paid the same to Carl, and would have rather he furnished it so he could make a bit more on the whole transaction. But I didn't want to be in the position of having the frame done and no fork.

This may be similar to what Batman wrote upthread about not being able to get 11s chains. I can buy them in a lot of places, but his shop's normal wholesale distribution channel may be completely out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I'm not surprised. Buyers probably figure that builders, however small, have more clout sourcing components.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
The lead time on certain production carbon frames seems to be getting into custom frame territory. I just put a deposit in with DeSalvo and he mentioned the wait is now pushing a year.

On the bright side, long wait times for a custom frame gives you plenty of time to figure out all the little details what you want incorporated into your new bike.

FYI I placed a dep w DeSalvo in Late Oct/Early Nov. I was #20. Hoping to get it soon but yes, getting parts seems to be hard. And to others points, glad I'm with steel.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Last I heard, Rock Lobster is a year wait time. From talking to a few LBS, they've given up on Shimano and point buyers to SRAM or Campy for components. Interesting times...
I put my deposit down with Paul in July and received the frame around Jan/Feb. Some slowdown due to sourcing the fork and headtube badge. I did read his lead time increased some time last year (I think he said 8-9 months) and he also moved his shop back. Glad to hear he's busy and thriving though
Old 05-21-2021, 02:13 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I can clearly see why demand for custom frames is going up.

The mainstream brand bicycle industry is on a path of regression, engineering-wise.

- Standardised parts and interfaces -> proprietary design that will not survive the next model generation (good luck with spare parts afterwards)

- Pseudo-innovations requiring flawed design choices (hello Cervelo/Cannondale/Canyon etc.)

- Prices for mass-produced frames (many shoddily engineered - see manufacturing tolerances and QC) that are sometimes higher than quality hand build masterpieces

I am currently in the market for another high-end road bike, but my usually itchy buy finger remains quite numb atm. I have bought more than 10 road bikes in my life, and only one of them was custom built, but that bike is the only one that I still ride regularly today.

I think I spend my money on custom bike builders exclusively in the future.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I wonder if part of this is aging riders like me who want a more relaxed geo that the high end Spesh Treks don't have? Plus these high end carbon frames cost as much or more as a custom Ti or steel frame from great builders.
Bingo - and me going next step into e-bike (Alchemy e-Ronin), fun with capital FUN!
Old 05-21-2021, 02:30 PM

My Alchemy timeframe was greatly reduced with me finding the part (Force AXS with some kind of ultra wide rear, that is how much I know about electronic)

So go shopping for the parts, bet they'll be happy if you bring in a box.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:00 PM

I worked with Steve Hampsten on a titanium frame fabricated by Brad Bingham in 2020. I believe that I placed the order during the first week of January 2020 and the frame was done on March 6, 2020 which I thought was really quick. I don't know what Steve's time frames are now.

I placed an order for a custom steel frame with Tiziano Zullo (Zullo bikes in Italy) on Jan 11, 2021. The frame is set to arrive in the US on May 23, 2021 which I think is quite reasonable as well.

It was great to work with both builders and their respective staff on the frames. I would highly recommend both builders based on my experience.

I fall into the category that if I am going to spend a good deal of money on a bike, it might as well be a custom!

Ride safe and stay healthy!

Last edited by BlueHampsten; 05-21-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post
I worked with Steve Hampsten on a titanium frame fabricated by Brad Bingham in 2020. I believe that I placed the order during the first week of January 2020 and the frame was done on March 6, 2020 which I thought was really quick. I don't know what Steve's time frames are now.

I placed an order for a custom steel frame with Tiziano Zullo (Zullo bikes in Italy) on Jan 11, 2021. The frame is set to arrive in the US on May 23, 2021 which I think is quite reasonable as well.

It was great to work with both builders and their respective staff on the frames. I would highly recommend both builders base on my experience.

I fall into the category that if I am going to spend a good deal of money on a bike, it might as well be a custom!

Ride safe and stay healthy!
You have great taste in bikes
Old 05-21-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
I put my deposit down with Paul in July and received the frame around Jan/Feb. Some slowdown due to sourcing the fork and headtube badge. I did read his lead time increased some time last year (I think he said 8-9 months) and he also moved his shop back. Glad to hear he's busy and thriving though
Agree, it's great to see these folks doing well!
Old 05-21-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post

Me too. When I was thinking about a custom bike I shopped the Cannondale/Specialized/Trek etc dealers and found that I could get custom for LESS money than off-the-rack.

I got my Bishop almost a year exactly (within a few days) after I placed my deposit. He reported to me that he had serious difficulty getting components from Italy, and currently says that he has completed frames waiting build up.

But the wait was absolutely worth it!
Old 05-21-2021, 03:21 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrara.g View Post
I am coming across many UK and USA based custom frame builders that have exorbitant lead times. Saffron for example, has a current lead time of 8 months (https://www.saffronframeworks.com/ordering/).
Wow, eight months is now "exorbitant." Instant gratification culture on display...

How many here have waited years for your Sachs, Weigle, English, etc. and were thrilled when you turn came up in 2+ years...?
Old 05-21-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Quite sadly they mailed out last week they're closing the Lexington Ride Studio Cafe location.
Wait, what???? Is that right?

Here's what the website says:

Quote:
With the pandemic, our Cafe is closed. Our store is open by appointment.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:18 PM

Is the demand for custom high end bikes really going up?

Not how we would know, but I don't know if basing that claim off of a handful of builders "long" wait times is the only metric to judge this by.

Any builders or brands who check in here have any data care to chime in, even if anecdotal?

Dave, Richard, Steve, Carl, Tyler, Drew come to mind.

Anyone?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Snip:

Wow, eight months is now "exorbitant." Instant gratification culture on display...

How many here have waited years for your Sachs, Weigle, English, etc. and were thrilled when you turn came up in 2+ years...?
I waited two and a half years for my Sachs. It was worth it.

Tags
custom