Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2022, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Interesting conversation.

How popular are racquet sports in general where you guys live?

I never played tennis before, but my young son has taken a real interest in it, so I'm trying to learn the game myself and we go to the local courts somewhat regularly these days. We always have the courts to ourselves. Some of my regular cycling routes go past a number of tennis courts and I rarely see anyone using them. Since we are [very] bad at tennis, and balls go everywhere, it's nice for us to have the courts to ourselves as we learn the game.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:10 AM
I need you cool.

I have not played in a long time, but first did back when I was in college...a group went to a friends house in Tarzana, CA and they had court with lights...it was fun.

If it gets people outside and moving around....it's all good.

Invented 1965 on Bainbridge Island, WA.....was made the state sport earlier this year.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I never played tennis before, but my young son has taken a real interest in it, so I'm trying to learn the game myself and we go to the local courts somewhat regularly these days. We always have the courts to ourselves. Some of my regular cycling routes go past a number of tennis courts and I rarely see anyone using them. Since we are [very] bad at tennis, and balls go everywhere, it's nice for us to have the courts to ourselves as we learn the game.
Wildly popular here. Pickle ball vs tennis turf wars probably occurring.

If learning sans instruction find a wall to bash against ideally with a line to mimic net height. Less chasing of balls and more ground strokes

I used to play tennis competitively many moons ago and is the only sport aside from cycling I’ve stuck with but can’t play seriously because I destroyed my shoulder with bad technique hitting big kick serves back in high school…I can’t serve without tendinitis returning.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-09-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Same where I live. When our fam plays tennis we have the place to ourselves if we go to a park. We also have a pickle ball net and gear that we can play in our driveway. I did not grow up playing racquet sports but it's fun to learn a new hobby now.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:54 AM

Our public courts are usually requiring a wait during peak times.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:03 AM
hoolered

Get wrecked, haters.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:45 AM

Started playing a couple of months ago after crashes ended my outdoor riding. Picked up the basics in a couple of sessions and can play with the B groups without a problem(was a decent high school tennis player 45 years ago). Its fun, competive as you want it to be, social and not too hard on my ACL repaired knee and titanium reinforced femur. It will take a few more weeks to get the nuances of the dink game down but there are plenty of videos.

For all that, it still doesn't compare to rolling down the road with your buddies at 20+mph, tires humming on the pavement and the wind in your face,
Old 09-09-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
For all that, it still doesn't compare to rolling down the road with your buddies at 20+mph, tires humming on the pavement and the wind in your face,
As an avid tennis player and have played pickle ball as well, I can’t help but compare similarly the same feeling…tennis is at a higher level once you can consistently keep the ball in play and start playing with spins and even greater; strategy against your opponent(s). I’m sure an expert pickle ball player would say the same…but from what I’ve seen it’s snail pace laughable.

Its great many enjoy pickleball. It’s unfortunate pickle ball is even compared to tennis. If they didn’t transform our courts there would probably be a lot less discussion!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-09-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Sunshine

I played pickleball in PE back in the late 90s. Prospect HS 1999 Racquet Sports PE class team champ...no big deal. <--I have mentioned that to my kids before to get an incredible eyeroll as entertainment.

Its funny- for almost 20 years I never heard anyone talk about it, and then 4 or 5 years ago it exploded around where we live. There is even a restaurant/sports bar/pickleball lounge in town with indoor and outdoor courts, and its hugely popular.

The local YMCAs have a ton of open gym times and leagues- but they are all during the middle of the day so clearly they are focusing on the more experienced generation.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:58 AM

Pickleball is for people for can't or don't want to move more than two steps to get to the ball. (45 years of tennis and counting.)
Old 09-09-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Pickleball is for people for can't or don't want to move more than two steps to get to the ball. (45 years of tennis and counting.)
There isn't much movement in doubles, but singles is a different story. You wouldn't think they were even the same sport.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
It's all what you make it ....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rdL4UFm8rfc
Old 09-09-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
watched some folks playing the other day while on a ride...looks fun.

unfortunately, I'm two menisci and an ACL short of participating in anything that stresses knees.

will stick with cycling and swimming...
I gave up tennis after my second knee surgery. I played 3-4 times a week so it was a big part of my life. I tried pickleball hoping it would be a good substitute since there is little or no running to play. Sadly, I found the quick side-to-side movements gave me some warning twinges in my knees so I gave it up. BTW, after years of working on my serve-volley tennis game I had a lot of trouble overcoming the urge to move up into "The Kitchen" in pickleball which is a no-no.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:16 PM

My sister was a hardcore amateur tennis player for the last 10 years and she has completely switched over to pickle ball. It is very popular around here. Definitely easier on the joints, so definitely a good thing for the AARP crowd (i am one.)

I tried it last week just learning it and it was a lot of fun. Court version of ping pong.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:19 PM

As a former cat 2 racer and die hard roadie and now Pickleball player, I see Pickleball as the equivilent to getting an e-bike. Pickleball is not Wimbledon or the US Open but very few of us are going to ride the TDF or Giro either. As long as we keep moving, all is good.