Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
The most terrifying riders on the Golden Gate Bridge, by a country mile, are the “skilled” roadies in full kit riding in groups.
This is undoubtedly true. Knuckleheads making their Strava time. Close second: tourists looking at their GPS while on the bridge. Here’s a clue: you’re still on the bridge.

A lot of e-bikers are rude. Just from personal experience.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
When you think individuals are the cause, look for structural issues instead.
This. Imagine if bike infrastructure was better. Right now it's an afterthought after cars and pedestrian infra. So we're jammed in a 3' lane with ebikes, Lime scooters, and the occasional motorcycle, and of course all the food delivery cars double-parked.

Imagine if we had a bike lane the size of a car lane -- that would already help a lot.

Don't get me wrong, though Class 2 ebikes (throttle-only) are mopeds masquerading as bikes skirting red tape. And their riders reflect that.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:19 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
No Motorized Vehicles are the "rules" on all of them but there is no impetus to enforce it here. Wild West of Alt Trans in Chicago right now
Same rule/law in Los Angeles. A friend mentioned this to an erratic rider on an e-bike, whose response was "it's electronic, not a motor." <facepalm>

Quote:
The most terrifying riders on the Golden Gate Bridge, by a country mile, are the “skilled” roadies in full kit riding in groups.
I take your point, though in most cases (depending on the level of "skill") their behavior is predictable, unlike the tourists (both on bikes and foot).
Old 08-22-2024, 04:26 PM

We have the strata people doing our bike path, head down crossing intersections (officially a stop but slowing down is acceptable) without slowing

There is lot of guilt around.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Same rule/law in Los Angeles. A friend mentioned this to an erratic rider on an e-bike, whose response was "it's electronic, not a motor." <facepalm>

I take your point, though in most cases (depending on the level of "skill") their behavior is predictable, unlike the tourists (both on bikes and foot).
Predictably obnoxious.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:28 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
As bad as these bridge paths are - the action is all in a more or less straight line in front or behind you.

I used to ride that coupla miles form 4th/King to the Financial District along Townsend and then the water front. Add a lot more width and unskilled with speed coming from the left or the right and in front/behind....oh, and lets not add all the places one can get doored.

Bikes, skate boards, motorized long boards, manual scooters, electric scooters, e-bikes one-wheelers, pedestrians....expect Brownian motion from them all.

When I see someone on a bike, the tell is if they are pedaling on their foot arches. That person IS NOT a cyclist
In all seriousness what defines a cyclist? I think anyone riding a bike is a cyclist regardless of whether or not they ride the way I do.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:01 AM

OP, I’m sympathetic and supportive but it makes me think of one of my favorite lines from “Curb Your Enthusiasm” - “Not everyone knows your rules Larry!”

Doesn’t really apply in this case as the “rules” are generally known by all who ride a bike regularly. One of the issues I’d say with e-bikes in that, particularly with the rentals, the riders aren’t interested in being cyclists, just getting from point a to b and they probably view it the same as walking fast or driving slow.

My e-bike beef was during an organized gravel ride last year. Very hilly (in the Blue Ridge) and particularly thick gravel. There was a lady on an e-bike who would cruise past me on the climbs and then pick her way very slowly down the descent in the middle of the road, forcing me to pass her every time using a bad line.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
My e-bike beef was during an organized gravel ride last year. Very hilly (in the Blue Ridge) and particularly thick gravel. There was a lady on an e-bike who would cruise past me on the climbs and then pick her way very slowly down the descent in the middle of the road, forcing me to pass her every time using a bad line.
This echoes my concern with e-bike rentals in popular tourist spots. I fear they may allow less experienced riders to get into situations they aren’t sufficiently skilled to tackle. It would be interesting to review bike accident statistics as e-bike usage has grown. Not sure if the industry or government is capturing and analyzing relevant data.

Greg
Old 08-23-2024, 08:49 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Don’t get me started on e-bikes and lack of skills right now.

Local guy borrowed one and managed to crash into a steel gate - no helmet, high speed. He impaled his head on a steel pipe.

Horrible situation as it happened in front of family and friends.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:44 AM

I’ve seen recent TV commercials from New York State promoting e-bike safety. The commercials specifically discuss safe operation of e-bikes and helmet use. Glad that someone in state government is paying attention and trying to be proactive on this issue.

Greg
Old 08-23-2024, 10:15 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
When I see someone on a bike, the tell is if they are pedaling on their foot arches. That person IS NOT a cyclist
Grant Peterson has entered the chat.
Old 08-23-2024, 12:46 PM

I'm sad that pedal assist ebikes are lumped in with those with throttles and no gear changing ability. Anything with a throttle is a motorcycle IMO.

I've been riding my Cervelo Rouvida pedal assist bike for almost 4 months now. I go further and faster, but I never ride on MUTs. It can be ridden with no assist. Paved roads along with the cars only. One week I rode 60, 103 and 60 mile rides with over 17,000 feet of climbing. Almost got to the top of trail ridge road in the Rocky Mountain National Park from my house, but called it good at the 52 mile point with around 8000 feet of climbing and headed back down. 6.5 hours and 25,000 pedal strokes.

Last edited by Dave; 08-23-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:11 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
In all seriousness what defines a cyclist? I think anyone riding a bike is a cyclist regardless of whether or not they ride the way I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Grant Peterson has entered the chat.
Anytime I can elevate my stature above others, i do so.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:36 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Anytime I can elevate my stature above others, i do so.
Think of the performance benefits of all that time at altitude.

Last edited by Black Dog; 08-23-2024 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black dog View Post
think of the performance benefits of all that time at altitude.
:-0