Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2024, 06:37 AM

I really like this thread. Cool to see a modern bike when so many people whine about modern bikes and ugly components.

This one is great. Utilitarian bike with plenty of capability and easy on the eyes.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:49 AM

Ride quality? Look 585

Out of curiosity have any folks ridden both the 2022+ Crux and the forum favorite Look 585? Curious about a ride quality comparison if one can be made for these two bikes. I know the tire size being almost twice as large may make this a moot comparison.

But I've never owned a carbon bike before and would like to try one at some point.
Old 06-02-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Out of curiosity have any folks ridden both the 2022+ Crux and the forum favorite Look 585? Curious about a ride quality comparison if one can be made for these two bikes. .
I am not sure you can compare a carbon monocoque bike frame with a Carbon Tube & Lug frame but that is just my opinion
Old 06-02-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I do think they are wonderful bikes but just remember most any ‘gravel’ bike of similar build will do the same thing

My surly midnight special = Santa Cruz stigmata = 3t exploro race max.

They all take fat tires and 650b or 700 and ride pretty much the same.
People have gone to far and generalized too much with this sort of thing. The "all bikes ride sort of the same" made sense when everything was standard diameter steel and the butting had a 0.1mm difference but it's been a different world for decades now.

There is no way a 8 pound steel frameset Surly Midnight Special rides "pretty much the same" as a carbon fiber frameset that weighs half as much.

Like really, even if you built them all up exactly the same you are 4 pounds in the hole with the Surly in addition to all the other differences. The Surly fork weighs almost 3 pounds! It's going to override almost everything else about the bike.

Actually, I wrote this whole thing and then read more in the thread and I think you might be on another level from everyone else. This is really something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar
I had one of earliest generation crux and it was an awesome bike. Cantilevers and a nice pink and black finish…I rode it as a single speed at the cohutta 100 mtb nue series race
Old 06-02-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
People have gone to far and generalized too much with this sort of thing. The "all bikes ride sort of the same" made sense when everything was standard diameter steel and the butting had a 0.1mm difference but it's been a different world for decades now.

There is no way a 8 pound steel frameset Surly Midnight Special rides "pretty much the same" as a carbon fiber frameset that weighs half as much.

Like really, even if you built them all up exactly the same you are 4 pounds in the hole with the Surly in addition to all the other differences. The Surly fork weighs almost 3 pounds! It's going to override almost everything else about the bike.

Actually, I wrote this whole thing and then read more in the thread and I think you might be on another level from everyone else. This is really something.
I should’ve mentioned I replaced the steel fork with a parlee carbon fork that really transformed the bike.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:33 AM

It can be really is easy to hate a company like Specialized, but they do make some great products and this is clearly a fantastic looking bike!

Their XL geo would work well for me (rare in stock frames).

I'd have no hesitation buying a Crux if I were in the market. Enjoy it, fa63!

Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 06-03-2024 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:56 PM

Closest thing to an eBike that I own. So incredibly smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (143.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:22 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Closest thing to an eBike that I own. So incredibly smooth.
XX pal, have you ridden an eBike before? Those who have said it felt like having a tailwind on you all the time. I know it's uber smooth but does your Crux do that?
Old 06-27-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I am not sure. I had an Argon18 Dark Matter prior to this; also really liked that bike. But it didn't ride as well on pavement, and I couldn't fit 47c tires on it with enough clearance. That said, the 3D headset system on that frame is genius.

I also did two gravel rides on a friend's 3T Exploro and didn't care for the way it rode. Plus the cable management and quality on those frames is less than ideal Maybe the newer ones are better.
Can you compare the Dark Matter and the crux ? I have a Dark Matter and it’s my only bike. It just feels sluggish on the road. Thanks
Old 06-27-2024, 06:46 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
It can be really is easy to hate a company like Specialized, but they do make some great products and this is clearly a fantastic looking bike!

Their XL geo would work well for me (rare in stock frames).

I'd have no hesitation buying a Crux if I were in the market. Enjoy it, fa63!
I share these thoughts. They make good stuff, darn them! < shakes fist in direction of Morgan Hill >
Old 06-27-2024, 06:53 PM
Vendor

Lightbulb

If anyone wants one of these, please send me a pm for super deluxe mega happy price time.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I do think they are wonderful bikes but just remember most any ‘gravel’ bike of similar build will do the same thing

My surly midnight special = Santa Cruz stigmata = 3t exploro race max.

They all take fat tires and 650b or 700 and ride pretty much the same.
Do the same? Maybe, in that they are equally capable of riding the same terrain, having the same adventures. Feel the same, no way. I have a top spec steel gravel bikes, a top spec Giant Revolt, Enve Mog with the same build, and have ridden a Crux. All very very different bikes.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
XX pal, have you ridden an eBike before? Those who have said it felt like having a tailwind on you all the time. I know it's uber smooth but does your Crux do that?
Well, not exactly. But I do seem to set PRs every time I ride it
Old 06-27-2024, 07:32 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Well, not exactly. But I do seem to set PRs every time I ride it
Old 06-27-2024, 10:07 PM

Bubba - have you ridden the Fray? If so, what are your thoughts vs the Crux?

Also happy to start a separate thread so we don't derail the Crux love.

Tags
peter denk