Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
...and now these fools have once again sent my stuff 3 hours away to the NY metro! What a joke! I will be heading to my local PO this am and hopefully they can get it sorted because I have zero confidence in their clearly faulty system. Shouldn't be that difficult to get mail to a small town carrier!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I'll give you a buzz if I see your packages floating around between Rockefeller Center and Harlem this evening!
Old 11-22-2023, 09:03 PM

Reminds of a friend that was waiting for a furniture delivery all day. Finally, the drivers calls and says, "We are here in Asbury Park (NJ) and can't find your address." Well, my friend lived in Asbury (NJ) which is a long way away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Indeed! My local PO is usually pretty good given it's low volume and long term employees are pretty good at their jobs. I live on a cty hwy/county highway and some moron mistook the cty for city is my guess. My zip code and city/town are clearly stated and nowhere near NYC.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

I have an idea..write a letter, just any letter to somebody..put it into a UPS or FedEx envelope and 'mail' it..then see how much it costs and how long it takes..

Then write a letter, put it in any envelope, put a stamp on it and mail it...How much did that stamp cost?

Geeez...I see great service from USPS and often way more convenient and less expensive than UPS or FedEx..via click-n-ship.

But, USPS a convenient football to kick around..
Old 11-23-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have an idea..write a letter, just any letter to somebody..put it into a UPS or FedEx envelope and 'mail' it..then see how much it costs and how long it takes..

Then write a letter, put it in any envelope, put a stamp on it and mail it...How much did that stamp cost?

Geeez...I see great service from USPS and often way more convenient and less expensive than UPS or FedEx..via click-n-ship.

This. Operating on the scale they do, I've had packages get mixed up - with the exception of 2 or 3 in my lifetime, they made it to me.

Don't forget they used to be far more efficient (and cheaper) than UPS or FedEx, especially with priority and express mail - until politicians stepped in, screwed up their finances and forced them to jack up rates.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:43 AM

One package delivered yesterday. Wheels shipped back from NY metro to Syracuse again. Says they will be here Friday. Hopefully not as smashed up as the box that arrived yesterday! Contents of the package don't appear to be damaged, but the box was open and pretty trashed.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
This. Operating on the scale they do, I've had packages get mixed up - with the exception of 2 or 3 in my lifetime, they made it to me.

Don't forget they used to be far more efficient (and cheaper) than UPS or FedEx, especially with priority and express mail - until politicians stepped in, screwed up their finances and forced them to jack up rates.
This.
When you elect politicians who hate the government and WANT to see it fail, you get failed government.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:45 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Angry

I cannot grasp how they make boxes look like they’ve been through a wood chipper. Good grief.
How hard is it to handle shipments with reasonable care? They have ONE job. ONE JOB!
I have received double-boxed items with damage to both boxes, the padding material, yet thankfully missed item inside.

Last edited by Blue Jays; 11-24-2023 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:11 AM

Wheels arrived yesterday without any damage to the box! Glad the saga is over!

Old 11-25-2023, 09:01 AM

I am glad it all arrived in the end. That has been my experience, also, one exception. I have had 2 times that a seller shipped a replacement,then, when the original showed up, the sellers said just keep them.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

You took the words right out of my fingers. yes USPS has screwed up a few times in my lifetime but bang for the buck they do a great job.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:27 PM

Me (NJ) and a buddy from Maryland each bought a groupset from CA on the same day, shipped with the awful USPS Ground Advantage and it's been "In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" since the 20th. My friend told me he got an update and it's in MA, I assume the same facility mentioned here. I haven't checked the tracking until just now since he told me of the update, as he's more anxious and impatient than I am, but in my experience the packages always were delivered with USPS.
Since they introduced Ground Advantage I experienced late deliveries at a rate never seen before with Priority Mail. From now on I will ask how my purchases are shipped and offer to pay more for Priority.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:33 PM

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this one... was looking for a Thomson stem this summer—an X2 in 17° and either 90 or 100mm. It took me FOREVER to track one down, but eBay was where I finally found it. The seller was in the Detroit area, and I'm in the Chicago suburbs. Pretty simple travel path, no?

Here's how it went, after making the sale payment on September 4, 2023:

September 4 at 11:00pm (Monday)
Seller made a label at the PO and dropped off in the drop box

September 5 at 10:58 AM
ANN ARBOR MI
USPS in possession of item

September 7 at 12:38 PM
ROCHESTER MI
Processing at USPS Facility

September 10 at 8:34 PM
DETROIT MI
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

September 11 at 1:50 AM
DETROIT MI
Departed USPS Regional Facility

So, we're one week out from when it was dropped at the Post Office and it's already starting to make me twitchy.

September 11 at 8:52 AM
CHICAGO IL
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

September 11 at 12:52 PM
CHICAGO IL

September 11 at 1:19 PM
FOX VALLEY IL
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

Ok, now we're cookin'. Should definitely be here tomorrow. I might be able to get it on the bike and tested before my planned big ride this weekend. Plenty of time.

September 11 at 11:00 PM
In Transit to Next Facility

Uh oh.

September 13 at 12:07 PM
ROCHESTER MI
Processing at USPS Facility

Well, THAT'S not good. Two days later, I filed a lost item form with the USPS. The seller went to her Post Office to do the same. And then it vanished.

September 15 at 6:13 AM
Missing Mail Search Request Initiated, Missing Mail Search Request ID MRC 00 0000 0000

And then, 4 months later...

Sunday 5:22 PM
PONTIAC MI

Sunday 10:35 PM
DETROIT MI

Monday 1:13 PM
FOX VALLEY IL
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

Monday 4:31 PM
FOX VALLEY IL

Tuesday 9:22 AM
AURORA IL
Arrived at Post Office

Tuesday 9:33 AM
AURORA IL
Out for Delivery

Tuesday 3:59 PM
AURORA IL
Delivered, In/At Mailbox

Funny thing is that I stopped tracking it after all of our claims with the USPS and eBay were closed and refunded. I got refunded by eBay (they pulled money from the seller's account, not cool), and the USPS paid out on the claim, as well. I sent the seller half of the money back and called it a day. I bought a Ritchey WCS stem a couple of days later and honestly forgot about the lost Thomson.

Lots of mistakes made along the way, and in the end, it just shows up in my mailbox 4 months later. No apology, nothing. Whelp, I guess I got a free stem out of the ordeal. Not such a good business model, is it?

—Doug
Old 12-14-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpurite View Post
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this one...

Lots of mistakes made along the way, and in the end, it just shows up in my mailbox 4 months later. No apology, nothing. Whelp, I guess I got a free stem out of the ordeal. Not such a good business model, is it?
During the 4 months your stem went missing, the USPS processed 2.8 billion packages and 50 billion pieces of mail. It's inevitable that some packages will get lost or delayed.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
During the 4 months your stem went missing, the USPS processed 2.8 billion packages and 50 billion pieces of mail. It's inevitable that some packages will get lost or delayed.
I realize the quantity of parcels moved—it's not lost on me. There were, however multiple errors made in this shipment by multiple employees at multiple Post Offices. That shouldn't happen.

And, I tend to not want to make excuses for the USPS, when it is their ONLY JOB to be paid to move letters and packages from one place to another. Amazon does a pretty good job of not losing my stuff but when they do, they take full responsibility to make it right. The Post Office, not so much (though, this did have a happy ending for once).
Old 12-14-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpurite View Post
I realize the quantity of parcels moved—it's not lost on me. There were, however multiple errors made in this shipment by multiple employees at multiple Post Offices. That shouldn't happen.
So, you expect perfection from the post office? Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpurite
And, I tend to not want to make excuses for the USPS, when it is their ONLY JOB to be paid to move letters and packages from one place to another. Amazon does a pretty good job of not losing my stuff but when they do, they take full responsibility to make it right. The Post Office, not so much (though, this did have a happy ending for once).
The USPS paid out on your claim. That seems to indicate that they took responsibility for the problem.

Tags
angry libertarian rants, constant consuming, law of averages