Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Just commenting on this last night with a good friend. The marketing genius on this is off the charts.

Tubeless wheels? Check.

Disc brakes? Check.

Alloy frame? Check.

Nearly approachable setup from who is arguably the most talked about rider in the Peleton.
PelOton, please..I wonder what Spec-Ed wants to sell? Lemmee guess..Yes, win on Sunday, sell on Monday..

We'll see if the entire team is on tubeless during any race tho...Maybe they'll fake a flat to get a tubular from the neutral wheels guys.

BTW-WAY easier to make a custom with aluminum than with a into/outta mold, carbon..cheaper too..
Old 01-13-2019, 08:41 AM

I was pretty unaware of this style of road bike until just now. What's the idea behind them? Aerodynamic, aluminum and stiff as hell? If so then this is exactly the kind of road bike that I'm looking for.

My rides are generally 1.5hr or less and balls to the wall. Comfort means very little to me.

Does anyone other than specialized make this kind of frame?

Can anyone suggest a frame that is super stiff and aero that I can get my hands on new for under 800 bucks?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by SteveFrench; 01-13-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFrench View Post
I was pretty unaware of this style of road bike until just now. What's the idea behind them? Aerodynamic, aluminum and stiff as hell? If so then this is exactly the kind of road bike that I'm looking for.

My rides are generally 1.5hr or less and balls to the wall. Comfort means very little to me.

Does anyone other than specialized make this kind of frame?

Can anyone suggest a frame that is super stiff and aero that I can get my hands on new for under 800 bucks?

Thanks for your help!
the king of alum crit bike is cannondale. They have had the CAAD for a long time and have always stoop by it. So I recommend you look into a CAAD 9, 10, 12.

Then if you want something custom you have rock lobster and spooky. I would probably try to find a used lobster or spooky, they are great.

I miss my alum spooky. that thing was balls to the wall fast (at least it felt fast), so stiff, agressive geo (too much for me actually but I did not care, was awesome). But I do have to say, it would beat me up after a few hours of ridding (probably because of the 155mm headtube, I prefer something more like 180 nowadays).
Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
the king of alum crit bike is cannondale. They have had the CAAD for a long time and have always stoop by it. So I recommend you look into a CAAD 9, 10, 12.

Then if you want something custom you have rock lobster and spooky. I would probably try to find a used lobster or spooky, they are great.

I miss my alum spooky. that thing was balls to the wall fast (at least it felt fast), so stiff, agressive geo (too much for me actually but I did not care, was awesome). But I do have to say, it would beat me up after a few hours of ridding (probably because of the 155mm headtube, I prefer something more like 180 nowadays).
you forgot the masters of aluminum, Gaulzetti and Zanconato. If i were to buy a new aluminum bike today, Mr Gaulzetti would get the call for sure
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
extremely tall

Frank the Welder.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
you forgot the masters of aluminum, Gaulzetti and Zanconato. If i were to buy a new aluminum bike today, Mr Gaulzetti would get the call for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
Frank the Welder.
well gaulzetti does not build his own bikes, I am sure they are good though.

I agree about Zanc but considering spooky is frank the welder and Paul sandoff is also amazing, I would not say a zanc is any better than a rock lobster or spooky. They are all great.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 01-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I find it amusing some of you are surprised that an aluminum frame bike is good enough for a World Champion to ride. Some of us on here have always known that.
Yeah. I think the real story here is that Specialized, like a few other companies, has been steadily making relatively cheap alu bikes (the non Sprint version retailed for like $800 - I raced that bike for years) that are designed to have good ride qualities instead or just being a cheap option for people who don't want to spring for a carbon frame. Cannondale was doing it forever and now Trek is doing it too; I wonder if Spec lost the plot a little bit with the price of the Sprint, but still.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
well gaulzetti does not build his own bikes, I am sure they are good though.

I agree about Zanc but considering spooky is frank the welder and Paul sandoff is also amazing, I would not say a zanc is any better than a rock lobster or spooky. They are all great.
Kelly Bedford aint so bad to have at the torch i guess, if its not Craig himself.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 01-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Yeah. I think the real story here is that Specialized, like a few other companies, has been steadily making relatively cheap alu bikes (the non Sprint version retailed for like $800 - I raced that bike for years) that are designed to have good ride qualities instead or just being a cheap option for people who don't want to spring for a carbon frame. Cannondale was doing it forever and now Trek is doing it too; I wonder if Spec lost the plot a little bit with the price of the Sprint, but still.
^^^^^^This^^^^^

I've been riding and racing Cannondales for years. Firstly (and most importantly) because their geometry works for me. But also because they are great riding frames that don't break the bank. I'd love to try a "grail" bike, but I want to retire debt-free in a few short years AND get my daughter through college debt-free. Every penny counts and my Cannondales allow me to have some fun without spending too much. They certainly aren't slowing me down!

Greg
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Nooe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
PelOton, please..I wonder what Spec-Ed wants to sell? Lemmee guess..Yes, win on Sunday, sell on Monday..

We'll see if the entire team is on tubeless during any race tho...Maybe they'll fake a flat to get a tubular from the neutral wheels guys.

BTW-WAY easier to make a custom with aluminum than with a into/outta mold, carbon..cheaper too..
Nope, that win on Sunday sell on Monday thing went out the window decades ago. The use of him is just fodder for mag and website buzz to get the bike out there in the ether.

I would wager that the majority of buyers of this bike probably don't even know who Peter Sagan is.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
I once saw Leonard Nitz lap the field in a local twilight-series race on a Huffy 10-speed... feet duct-taped to 1/2 inch pedals and all... it's the rider, not the bike.
Nitz...heck of a rider!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Nope, that win on Sunday sell on Monday thing went out the window decades ago. The use of him is just fodder for mag and website buzz to get the bike out there in the ether.

I would wager that the majority of buyers of this bike probably don't even know who Peter Sagan is.
I think everyone who is into bike racing knows who sagan is.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Buying Public Don Kn

Quote:
I think everyone who is into bike racing knows who sagan is.
And everyone buying this bike doesn't race or watch bike racing necessarily.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
My Allez on 28's rides better than my Concours on 25's.
That’s interesting. And intriguing. I can imagine that it’s certainly stiff enough. How is it over bad roads?

BTW, your set up looks great!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:17 AM

I love my sprint. Take it on 4 hour rides frequently and it is nice and comfy. Several people are riding/racing on them around here.

Jake

20190113_111430_resized.jpg