Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2024, 09:30 AM

I love my All City Mr Pink. I sold it and then bought it back because I missed it so much
Old 09-24-2024, 09:33 AM

Crust

https://crustbikes.com/collections/f...ucts/malocchio
Old 09-24-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMtl View Post
I'm willing to look at any material but my first pick would be steel or titanium. I actualy ride a titanium with carbon stays Marinoni Piuma XTI from a local frame builder in Montréal, Québec, Canada. It has Campy Chorus 11 speed.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Really interesting ones made out of all materials available.

Special thanks at all the framebuilders you made me discover.

I have a lot to read about before making a choice.
If you want to stick with Marinoni, their Sportivo (steel) and Sportivo Ti models are both rated to fit 32's. I wish their carbon Sportivo HM did.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:08 AM

All City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas515 View Post
I love my All City Mr Pink. I sold it and then bought it back because I missed it so much
Stripped down the grouppo on my All City Mr Pink to rebuild another frame but likely I will build it up again this time with full fenders etc. for a great foul weather bike! It’s an extremely versatile rig…
Old 09-24-2024, 10:28 AM
Meh

Is the Milwaukee road frame still a thing? It's advertised online, but the text still refers to it being built at Waterford, which makes me suspicious. That was my go-to recommendation for this sort of thing.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Is the Milwaukee road frame still a thing? It's advertised online, but the text still refers to it being built at Waterford, which makes me suspicious. That was my go-to recommendation for this sort of thing.
My understanding is that they stocked up on a large quantity of Waterford built bikes before Waterford shut down, so they should have stock for a few years, depending on sizing.
Old 09-24-2024, 11:45 AM

I found a Seven Redsky in Vermont that does not fit me. I'll provide a link in the Barn Finds thread in classified.
Old 09-24-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
Is the Aethos rim brake?
No, no idea how people got on to the scent of disc brakes in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
FWIW, I have 32mm running with Campy 12 speed and standard record rim brakes
My bike is quite similar to this. I have a ti Serotta Concours and with a swap of the fork from the original Reynolds to a Falz, I've got 32mm Veloflex's on Bora WTOs with SR12. But... I am running Dura Ace 7800 brakes. Glad to see Campy brakes clear 32 tires, so I may make the swap there too. Did I read once that Chorus 12 rim brakes have more clearance than Record/SR?

I think people need to be specific and mention whether they're talking about 57mm rim brakes or "normal" rim brakes like these Campags.
Old 09-24-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red7 View Post
Ritchey Road Logic
Yup. I squeezed a 32mm Graveling on my '24 Road Logic. The limitation was my RED 22 calipers.
Old 09-24-2024, 04:13 PM

Jamis Endura

A few years ago I was researching a long distance bike with rack mounts and clearance for at least 32 mm tires. Jamis Endura was the only bike that had both on this side of custom. The frame could fit 34 mm tires. On the picture It has Conti GT5000 32 mm tires. I upgraded the brakes from Tektro to VeloOrange and the braking now is on par with my other rim brake bike with Dura Ace calipers. jamis.jpg
Old 09-24-2024, 05:50 PM

My Kirk will take 32 mm tires if I run eeBrakes. 32s would probably work with Campy brakes as well, but the fit seems just a bit too tight for my comfort.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

When someone says "On my bike I've found that eeBrakes clear an Xmm wide tire" do they typically mean the direct mount model, or the "regular" single bolt model? IOW, does one have to go direct mount to get the wide clearance with them, or is regular good enough?

TIA
Old 09-24-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
When someone says "On my bike I've found that eeBrakes clear an Xmm wide tire" do they typically mean the direct mount model, or the "regular" single bolt model? IOW, does one have to go direct mount to get the wide clearance with them, or is regular good enough?

TIA
No. There is the caliper itself, the brake mount placement on on the frame and fork, the rim and tire combination, etc, etc. There are lots of variables and while any one person's example is not useless, it may or may not be informative to your own circumstances.

That said, I suspect lots more people are using standard mount eeBrakes than direct mount.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:48 AM

My Davidson steel Signature Touring bike (which is more properly a light touring bike) will fit 700C x 32 under fenders with Tektro bolt on-double pivot sidepulls, or traditional Campagnolo Nuovo Record medium reach (60mm) sidepulls. Without fenders you can fit 35mm tires.

There seem to be a fair number of these bikes available used from time to time, for very reasonable prices. Workmanship is superb: the low prices reflect the fact that a great number of these bikes were made, and not the quality of the workmanship.

These bikes were mostly (perhaps only?) made in custom sizes, so you need to be careful to get the seller to accurately measure the frame.
Old 09-25-2024, 08:06 AM

Mark, we appear to own similar bikes, and I have had the exact same experience. For a recent week-long gravel tour in NY was able to fit 35's under fenders -see pic below- with some judicious clearance work on the fenders (and splitting the rear one). 38's will fit if you're willing to deflate or remove a brake pad to mount.

With 38's on Virginia gravel:
IMG_6041 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1463.jpg (129.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by rccardr; 09-25-2024 at 08:10 AM.