Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 06:09 AM

I've never had any issues with Conti GP5000s. I run 25s with tubes, weigh 165 and inflate to 75 psi. replace every spring, typically get 6 to 7K miles out of them. YMMV
Old 08-23-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
How many people are still alive that worked for Conti when they were supplying the Nazi war machine? Talk about holding grudges.
After what we did to the native Americans and slaves I wonder how he can live in THIS country at all!

Now, back to tires. I'm running GP5K 32mm (tube type) and love them so far. If they last as long as my previous Pro4 SC tires I'll stay with them.

Tim
Old 08-23-2024, 06:42 AM

I’ve never liked the shape when inflated on Continental road tires. I’m a Vittoria rider because I think the shape is better when inflated. I trust them better when cornering.

I do have a set of Continental gravel tires (Terra Speed?) that have been good.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:51 AM

I always thought that Continentals felt “dead”. Even with low rolling resistance, they just had a dead feeling that I couldn’t get past, and I am referring to the tubulars (but the same would apply to the clinchers). They were also always ridiculously hard to mount. There are just too many better alternatives available.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:59 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I’m conscious about where my money goes in general.

I don’t know everything about every company or country, but as things come to attention I act according to my values and beliefs.

Do you avoid (or seek out) any companies or countries yourself?
I, too, try to avoid buying from companies where i couldn't help noticing a conflict between my own morale compass and theirs. Because i'm not totally obsessed by it, i'm sure my list is far from complete. Gladly, nobody forces me to buy from Tesla, Birkenstock, or (more biking related) Abus etc, and i'm free to pick alternatives.

Talking about NS Regime involvement, avoiding all of them would make living in Germany quite difficult... and it wasnt only german brands, see wikipedia

"In December 1941, when the United States entered the war against Germany, 250 American firms owned more than $450 million of German assets.[13] Major American companies with investments in Germany included General Motors, IT&T, Eastman Kodak, Standard Oil, Singer, International Harvester, Gillette, Coca-Cola, Kraft, Westinghouse, and United Fruit.[13]"
Old 08-23-2024, 07:38 AM

There are instances where I vote with my wallet but frankly it seems impossible to do this well given I don’t actively manage my retirement.

With a company like Conti that historically supported a cause that I find horrific to contemplate, I’m crossed on how to think about this. On one hand I agree what they supported was morally wrong and against what I believe but that was many years ago and all the people who made these decisions are long gone. I’m more interested in what they are doing now to impact the planet and society for good.

With conti, I’ve never been a big fan of their tires so I don’t have to make a decision. Coca-cola is a different beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2024, 07:55 AM

That tire is simply worn out. No defect. 2600 miles from a race tire is more than I'd expect.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I refuse Conti on the basis they were heavily involved in supplying the Nazi war machine and their brutal slave labour to that end.

Like Angry said, there are way better tires out there anyway.
Let's punish the children and grandchildren for the sins of the parents. That will make it all better.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:18 AM

I have mostly used Schwalbe Pro One tires and they have been great.
Smooth ride and durable.
I had a GP5000 25mm on the rear of one bike and did not have any problems with it but did not ride it that much.
I just got some GP5000 28mm for a new bike and have not ridden them yet.
Got them from Lordgun and they were pretty cheap. I got them because the rolling resistance tested significantly lower than any other clincher.
Do you ride very many miles per week? If so maybe you just need a higher mileage tire.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:43 AM

Count me as another long term user of 4000 and 5000 contis, and recently using tubeless 5000. Never any issues with wear, etc. Honestly my only complaint is how difficult they can be to mount to some wheels. And I am much heavier than the OP at about 185 pounds.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:10 AM

Listen. I understand the pain having Conti's GP5000 TR tires can cause, and I'm here to help.
If you have any, 25's, 28's, that are annoying you by being in your home, send them to me. I will free you from their torment. They are evil and you should do this quickly, before I need to buy more.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:29 AM

Unless this post is a joke or some kind of attention grabing attempt, I don't think I am the first to tell you here, I really believe you need to re-evaluate your tire assessment and selection criteria.

This tire has simply been used up and has been worn out, well beyound squared off and the tire contact interface absent.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
have routinely gotten only 60% of the mileage that the 4Ks delivered. have read the rubber compound is softer than the 4K for better grip, but I have never noticed an improvement in ride quality.

today, I had my 3rd tread delamination event...and this is a tire with only 2600 miles and both TWIs still clearly visible. I'm not a Clyde (only weigh 147 lbs), ride on fairly decent asphalt roads, and typically use 85 psi pressure.

so, this is the last Conti in my inventory and any future purchases will be Vittoria or Schwalbe products.

I think we've generally noticed that the 5ks are less durable than the 4ks. I haven't had the tread delaminate, but I've only used the clincher 5ks, not the S TRs. I did notice some wear on the sidewalls that I wasn't expecting.

For those who are still willing to consider Conti, the AS TR may be worth a thought. They're likely more durable than the S TRs, and are grippier. On rolling resistance, the 25mm 4000 S II is 12.2W at ultra high pressure on BRR, and the 25mm 5000 AS TR comes in at 10.9W. I'm currently running the AS TRs, but not enough miles to speak to their durability.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I always thought that Continentals felt “dead”. Even with low rolling resistance, they just had a dead feeling that I couldn’t get past, and I am referring to the tubulars (but the same would apply to the clinchers). They were also always ridiculously hard to mount. There are just too many better alternatives available.
Butyl tubes maybe? The one thing I like about them is they hold their air but they aren't very subtle.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
That tire is simply worn out. No defect. 2600 miles from a race tire is more than I'd expect.
I have to agree. Asking more than 2600 miles out of a racing clincher is at the least, optimistic. You want more than 2600 miles out of a 25mm tire? Get yourself some Gatorskins and live with the rough ride and reduced grip.