Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 08:01 PM

Old 08-23-2024, 09:15 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

You'll want at least the M1 MacBook Air. Battery life and processing power for everyday activities is unmatched compared to that intel chip.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:16 AM

Definitely go Apple chip. I still kick around my M1 Macbook Pro M1 Pro. It has way more computing power for me for anything I know do that involves a computer. Plus the micro LED screen is awesome.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:33 AM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I bought this one, very similar to yours: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restored-...ied/1828767333

Seemed like a solid deal, but one of my tech savvier friends on the Forum expressed concern about the Intel chip (as did a few other posters did) I have a 90 day return window. I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles. Something to design and edit my newsletter. For all I know, gremlins could be inside the computer, and I wouldn’t know the difference.
I'd return it. Get one with M1 chip so you're not left behind on operating system updates. Other apps will stop updating because you're on an outdated OS. Invest the extra $200-$300. Otherwise you're going to be buying another outdated laptop in 3 years when this one is no longer serviceable.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:49 AM

OK, there’s definitely a consensus. (The glory of the Paceline “OT” threads!) I’ll return the one I got and spring for one with a Mac chip. Is there a big difference between an M2 and a M3 chip? Thx!
Old 08-24-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
OK, there’s definitely a consensus. (The glory of the Paceline “OT” threads!) I’ll return the one I got and spring for one with a Mac chip. Is there a big difference between an M2 and a M3 chip? Thx!
no if you want to stay in your budget. more RAM if you have $$. More storage only if you do lot videos, photos and don't want to move to iCloud.
Old 08-24-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
As others said, RAM and storage is probably more important than processor.

I’d go with the newest of the used ones you consider with at least 512GB and 8 better 16GB of RAM.
I say newest because that makes it the most future proof when it comes to upgrades. One of the advantages of a Mac is the ecosystem, i.e. capabilities across your Mac, iPhone, iPad etc.
While you still can run a Mac with an older OS, you might miss out on some of new functions within the ecosystem Apple rolls out in the future

I would check Apple’s refurbished site, basically indistinguishable from new.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
I would check Apple’s refurbished site, basically indistinguishable from new.
Having bought several 'refurbished' macs this is good advice.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:49 PM

Anyone want to weigh in on this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...?skuId=6565830

Seems solid.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Anyone want to weigh in on this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...?skuId=6565830

Seems solid.
I have purchased open box. As long as they say it’s in excellent shape you have a good product with full Apple warranty.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:45 PM

Unless you won't be able to feed yourself/family/dog whatever either get a refurb, open box or new. With 16gb ram. 512 SSD or 1tb. You never know when Apple will release some magic AI software that won't run on a 8gb machine. BTW my last 3 Mac laptops were at 7 years old when they would not update to the latest OS but still worked fine. Look at the per year cost. Nice!!

Also anyone at a company or private party that knows 1 iota about selling a used computer should wipe the machine of all data and anything connecting it to them and reinstall the OS. Eezy peezy.

Last edited by tbike4; 08-24-2024 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Seems solid.
That's a great machine, it will last you for years, it's plenty fast to do anything you need it to. Good stretch to get this machine over the other one.

I honestly think new/open box is the way here, as I stated before. M3 Air is a terrific laptop design, latest processor, SSD, new battery, apple ios... for less than a grand. Yes, you can spend $400 on a used laptop and it will be fine. But you'll be replacing it sooner, and not enjoying it as much while you use it. This is a great option. 8Mb RAM is probably enough for you, and you can always expand storage with an external SSD drive. You'll probably want to, for backups and such. 256 will last you a while anyway, and you may never outgrow it.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback! 🙏🍻
Old 08-24-2024, 11:07 PM

So I went through this recently after having to return my work laptop.

I'm in medical training and hospitals friggin love macs. I'm already screwed with an android phone so I decided to even things out by getting a mac this time. My demands on a computer are very work related these days so it didn't have to be fancy.

I ended up buying 3 different computers through a random bunch of reasons...

2 x Macbook air. M1 with 8gb ram and 256gb hd.
1 x Macbook pro. M1 with 16gb ram and 512 gb hd.

I ended up selling one of the MBAs to bestbuy for a giftcard for more than I paid for it. I gave one of the MBAs to my dad since his chromebook was dying. I kept the macbook pro for myself.

The M1 chips are fantastic and I honestly feel like this MBP i'm using right now is the least tempermental computer I've ever used. I paid about 350-425 for the MBA's and 500 for the MBP, but I scoured deals. You can get an MBP like mine for 600-700 usually.

I really think that the best buy currently is to get some of the M2 MBA's on sale. I think everyone recommends getting the 16gb ones, but in practice you're really not going to notice the difference unless you're actively using the additional RAM. Most of us aren't going to be doing that day to day.

The other awesome deals right now re processing power are on the M1 Pro macbook pros. Those are more in the 800 range, but are insanely powerful and still very relevant.

That all said...the real thing you need to figure out is how you feel about the LCD F-key setup on many of the M1's (MBP only I think). It's polarizing but I haven't been too annoyed by it.
Old 08-25-2024, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Colloquially, no one makes that distinction when shopping for laptops. Even here...
What kind of nonsense post is this, the OP is not looking to purchase a candy bar? Do you purchase your technical tools based on casual chitter-chatter, most reasonably intelligent individuals rely on concise specifications.

Somehow I think you are smart enough to not go looking to purchase something as simple as a handlebar based on the description of handlebar as metal, you would investigate to discern if it was Ti, Al or steel and an investment in a computer is no different.

Last edited by m_sasso; 08-25-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Tags
apple