Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgmatt View Post
I pay because they split the podcasts into topics I’m interested in. At the “old place”, before they created the Nerd Alert, I had to skip forward until I reached the tech segment of their integrated podcast. For me, the new podcasts I listen to (Geek Warning and Performance Process) are better than they’ve ever been.
I agree with this-but I think everything has become a little bloated to fill the time. I still rather have the standalones, as sometimes I could care less about the racing coverage, and the tech pod is always at least 50% good.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I agree with this-but I think everything has become a little bloated to fill the time. I still rather have the standalones, as sometimes I could care less about the racing coverage, and the tech pod is always at least 50% good.
That’s fair - to the extent that I sometime struggle to keep up. I’m lucky that I’m not interested in anything beyond tech and performance!
Old 01-28-2024, 09:42 AM

Perhaps off topic on this thread, but really good article in that link and yes, I totally relate to the notion of “panpsychism”. This is ultimately what Campy components represent in my mind; more so in the past than now, but Campy still makes an effort for those who appreciate/understand.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Hmm,

This sounds familiar.

Quote:
angryasian: After an eventful and memorable 14 months, I’ve made the decision to resign as Head of Tech from the Escape Collective, effective EOD today. I leave behind a number of talented people, and trust that they’ll ably continue on their journey. However, that journey will continue on without me.

Next steps for me? Aside from spending a few weeks with my family and riding bikes, TBD.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Hmm,

This sounds familiar.
Where was this posted?
Old 05-24-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Where was this posted?
His Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/angryasian/
Old 05-24-2024, 10:52 AM
#RYFB

Reminds me of the Seinfeld line how you never hear someone saying "I want to spend less time with my family."
Old 05-24-2024, 10:57 AM

Just unselected auto-renew.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:03 AM
Sunshine

Well that sucks.

James, Caley, Dave, and Zach were indispensable during late '20 early '21 with the geek warning podcasts that had all 4 on so frequently.
It's a long time down the road since then.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:30 PM

I saw James's post today as well. I'm really curious where he goes next. What does the PL Hive mind think? Product development for one of the big brands?
Old 05-24-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
I saw James's post today as well. I'm really curious where he goes next. What does the PL Hive mind think? Product development for one of the big brands?
I know absolutely nothing about what's going on, but that seems possible. I could easily see him taking on a public-facing development/management role for a big company, especially if he's given latitude around speaking frankly. More lucrative and stable.

If I were a betting man, I'd hazard a guess that EC (and bike journalism writ large) can't pay everyone much. They posted a FT tech writer job a few months back that I think was listed for $50k in a 1099 role (read: No benefits/you get killed on taxes). I know they're pretty strident about not having any advertisers, but I'm not sure the largely American and Aussie road/gravel audience is large enough to support the work (and staffing) they do with subscription dollars alone.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-24-2024 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:27 PM

I seem to recall that he almost wasn't on the starting team it was sort of a last-second thing. Maybe he came on with the understanding he would help get them off the ground. I also belive his father is either very ill or just passed away. So maybe some personal time is in order.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I know absolutely nothing about what's going on, but that seems possible. I could easily see him taking on a public-facing development/management role for a big company, especially if he's given latitude around speaking frankly. More lucrative and stable.

If I were a betting man, I'd hazard a guess that EC (and bike journalism writ large) can't pay everyone much. They posted a FT tech writer job a few months back that I think was listed for $50k in a 1099 role (read: No benefits/you get killed on taxes). I know they're pretty strident about not having any advertisers, but I'm not sure the largely American and Aussie road/gravel audience is large enough to support the work (and staffing) they do with subscription dollars alone.
I had similar thoughts. A man of his talents and reputation could almost surely make significantly more money elsewhere.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:53 PM

I just joined EC primarily for James' content. Hmmmm

Tim
Old 05-24-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Just unselected auto-renew.
PSA. I did that in late 2023 and was still billed in February 2024.

Had to send a harshly-worded email to get them to reverse the charges.