Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
It wasn't until the Rolling Stones were on the Ed Sullivan Show that America got some truly great British rock.
Odd that you should say that, as the very first song the Rolling Stones performed on Ed Sullivan was a cover of the Chuck Berry song "Round and Round". The other song they played in that appearance was "Time is on my side", a cover of a song written by (American) Jerry Ragavoy and first performed by (Danish born American) Kal Winding. They didn't play an original song on Ed Sullivan until their 2nd appearance a year later - after the Beatles had already appeared 3 times, and performed 8 original songs.

Correction: The first song performed the Rolling Stones on Ed Sullivan was Chuck Berry's "Around and Around". "Round and Round" is a song by Ratt, recorded twenty years later.

Last edited by Mark McM; 02-10-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:26 PM

I was 18 when the Beatles came to Baltimore in 1964. Our next door neighbor was a DJ and was one of the hosts for the show. He gave us tickets. I passed on the show because I thought they were a kid's band and was more into the Rolling Stones. My mother took my sisters and they loved it. Shows that I knew even less back then than I know now. Tickets for the show were $3.50.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:45 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Ah, so you were into the other bands that were playing I-IV-V chord progression crap that a grade school music class would do, got it.

Thanks Bob.
I'm not a fan of the dancing bananas, but, everyone I know has a big but.
:b anana

Last edited by bironi; 02-09-2024 at 10:46 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 02-10-2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Seriously, is there anything more simple than Smoke on the Water?
Ouch. That one was a painful bludgeon.

Check out what Leonard Bernstein had to say about the Beatles at the time. Someone with what you might guess was a decent ear for music….

https://youtu.be/v32U0mjGz6g?si=1bBchMZKAQygZ3rE
Old 02-10-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Ah, so you were into the other bands that were playing I-IV-V chord progression crap that a grade school music class would do, got it.

More idiocracy on Paceline, got it!
Old 02-10-2024, 03:49 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoAGasPLh30

a bit long, but one of the better Kids in the Hall skits (IMHO)
Nice, I didn't recall that one.

BTW, did you happen to catch Dave Foley in the latest season of Fargo? He was excellent.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:04 PM

no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Nice, I didn't recall that one.

BTW, did you happen to catch Dave Foley in the latest season of Fargo? He was excellent.
I haven't seen Fargo (the series) yet.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:21 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I haven't seen Fargo (the series) yet.
Recommend. I've enjoyed all the seasons and this one in particular -- great cast, nice twist on the movie, and some current political bite on top of it. If you watched Ted Lasso you'll be pleasantly surprised at Juno Temple's performance.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:28 PM
mentholated

feb 9th, 2024, the day that changed everything - damo suzuki passes away
https://youtu.be/LPjF4ZHuIko?si=tbNyuFYnDcytCSAU
Old 02-10-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Do you still play accordion?

I was too young to remember whether I saw The Beatles on their Ed Sullivan Show debut, but my parents got their Rubber Soul album the following year, and for the next ~5 years that (and some weird clone/tribute album of the earlier Beatles hits by a group called "The Liverpools") were the only records I listened to.

Literally, five years, from age 5 through 10, nothing but Beatles (...well, okay, for the last year of that stretch I added the soundtrack to Disney's The Jungle Book animated film.)

So suffice it to say they definitely changed me. But yeah, America too, for sure.
I can remember how disappointed my brother was when mom told him that "The Bearcuts Swing in Beatlemania" that he had purchased was not a Beatles album.

I wonder if MeTv's Ed Sullivan broadcast will air the Beatles first appearance on tomorrow night's show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (25).jpg (25.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by oliver1850; 02-10-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:02 PM

In an extra bit of trivia:

We all know that the show and band The Monkees premiered in 1966, which in some ways was an Americanized copy of the Beatles (particularly of the Beatles movie "Hard Days Night"). By an odd coincidence, Davey Jones, who would later become a member of the Monkees, made his US television debut on the February 9th, 1964 episode of the Ed Sullivan show, the same episode that the Beatles made their US television debut. Davey Jones had been playing the Artful Dodger in the broadway run of the musical "Oliver!", and he and the actor who played Nancy performed a song from the musical on the Ed Sullivan show, shortly before the Beatles first took the stage. Jones later said, "I watched the Beatles from the side of the stage, I saw the girls going crazy, and I said to myself, this is it, I want a piece of that."

Tags
boomer threads :-)