Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2024, 08:27 AM

I asked a similar question about a month ago. I'd been wearing Genius 9 for the last 8 or 9 years and my forefoot width had changed over that time. Many people said the Genius 10 were slightly wider. I went to Genius 10 in a half size larger and they fit great. Also, like you I have a high arches and narrow heels.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I have long, narrow feet but need toe room due to neuroma issues. I tried several Lakes and they were either very loose in the heel or too tight in the toes. One model was just too wide everywhere. I found the S-Works Torch worked out the best, snug where they need to be but never constricting.

I had considered the Lamsons but blanched at the cost... at first. Then realized lots of people think nothing of $2-3k wheels and, IMO, good shoes are even more important. Even the $400 S-Works shoes had me hesitating. I suppose the thought that shoes can be purchased for way less makes one hesitate. In the end you still tend to get what you pay for.

Tim
I’m always amazed by people on Internet forums who seem willing to spend gobs of money on custom bikes and pay premiums for prestigious names on the downtubes, on carbon wheels, and various items of boutique cycling clothing, but then blanche at paying for shoes that actually do make a difference.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:27 AM

I have the same feet.

I have high instep, tall arches and double ee width. Lake and sidi mega with the heal cup adjustment. I give the nod to lake for comfort. But. I think the side's are more durable over the years.

the 242's from like have a really large upper. I have two pair and love them

Old 08-16-2024, 02:01 PM

it's really too bad so many of us have this issue. my feet are disproportionally wide at the 1st metatarsal joint and i haven't found any shoes that don't make my toes numb. typical wide shoes are too wide for me in the midfoot and then still have the problem of tapering near the toe.
Old 08-16-2024, 02:22 PM

yep s-works

decades of running have spread my forefoot relative to my high arch and narrow heels. tried many, s-works worked best
Old 08-16-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’m always amazed by people on Internet forums who seem willing to spend gobs of money on custom bikes and pay premiums for prestigious names on the downtubes, on carbon wheels, and various items of boutique cycling clothing, but then blanche at paying for shoes that actually do make a difference.
My shoe cost rivals any women
lots of costly experiments though.
Old 08-16-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
My shoe cost rivals any women
lots of costly experiments though.
All the money spent of experiments likely exceeds the cost of Lamson shoes, that last for many years!
Old 08-16-2024, 04:09 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
It’s a value for money issue for some of us. Some people make out great with custom shoes but there are enough people who don’t that it constitutes a costly gamble without possibility of return. That’s not a knock on custom shoe makers. From what I can tell, they aren’t getting rich and work quite hard, but the nature of the product requires customers to take a leap of faith.