Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
The Bell Gage is my favorite helmet. I currently rotate two of them (and wish I had some more in backstock). But they are beyond their recommended lifespan so I got a Giro Helios and while I've yet to use it it seems to fit very well and has some pretty good tech with its ball and socket MIPS design. If you like the fit of the Gage you may want to check it out.
I used to wear Giro a long time ago but think of them as fitting round heads and Bell better for oval heads but I could be wrong about that.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Just to add my 2cents because why not, if you're trying something new it helps if you can put it on your head or order from a place with a good return policy. My head fits lots of helmets and also doesn't fit a lot of helmets -- make sure you find one that fits your head comfortably.

Also I like to think that helmets are a lot cheaper than brain surgery, so why not get a good one. I have 4 road helmets and 4 mtb helmets (2 open, 1 full face, and one full face convertible) and use them all. Some are on the older side and will be chucked soon and replaced because I like variety.
Well, any helmet sold in the US, is, by regulation' a 'good one'.
Less expensive helmets are heavier, lack the whizbangery of big BUX helmets but all pass the same standards. In fact, the less expensive, heavier ones may actually protect better, since they have more material.

Yup, helmets are a good idea but aren't a panacea for no brain injury. May help, probably never hurt.

Be sure to wear it correctly too....I know you do.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmet-Fails-Gear-Patrol-Backwards-.jpg (22.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Helmet-Fails-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg (20.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Generally speaking, do the Specialized and Trek stores that are becoming more and more common after buying out smaller indy shops carry third party helmets like Giro and Lazer?

I hope so because a helmet is one of those things I really want to try on before I buy and it's also one of the things I'm happy to pay a bike shop for that service and availability.
Locally, nope. The big Trek dealer tends to only carry Bontrager (was true before Trek buyouts). The local Spec’d dealer was a bit better about carrying more brands (accessories and bikes), but I haven’t been in since they were bought out by corporate.

[Not a statement about what they can carry, only what’s actually on their shelves here in the DC suburbs]
Old 07-15-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, any helmet sold in the US, is, by regulation' a 'good one'.
Less expensive helmets are heavier, lack the whizbangery of big BUX helmets but all pass the same standards.
That all helmets provide the same protection is a bit of a question mark. Because they all must meet CPSC standards, we know that they are all above a certain minimum level of protectiveness - but it's entirely possible that some helmets are far above that level, while others just meet that level.

Also consider that the CPSC standards were formulated when the goal of helmets was to prevent skull fracture. Today, we know that serious brain trauma can occur without skull fracture, and with rotational impacts there can be more brain injury than with linear impact that do fracture the skull.

Although not perfect by any measure, the Virginia Tech program attempts to address both of these, by introducing rotational forces to their impact tests, and by assigning ratings corresponding to their level of protectiveness.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Although not perfect by any measure, the Virginia Tech program attempts to address both of these, by introducing rotational forces to their impact tests, and by assigning ratings corresponding to their level of protectiveness.
I bought my two Lazer helmets last year based on the VT research.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 07-16-2022, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That all helmets provide the same protection is a bit of a question mark. Because they all must meet CPSC standards, we know that they are all above a certain minimum level of protectiveness - but it's entirely possible that some helmets are far above that level, while others just meet that level.

Also consider that the CPSC standards were formulated when the goal of helmets was to prevent skull fracture. Today, we know that serious brain trauma can occur without skull fracture, and with rotational impacts there can be more brain injury than with linear impact that do fracture the skull.

I didn't say that. I said that a cheaper, more material, heavier helmet may provide BETTER protection. As you noted.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:04 AM

I'm waiting for the P.O.C. airbag helmet. I wonder how heavy and sweaty it will be?
Old 07-16-2022, 08:51 AM

Some valid arguments covered regarding MIPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKH...ckWaterCyclist

No testing occurs with crash-test dummies that actually have hair, or wear a skull cap? Aren't these things also slip planes?
Old 07-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I have a Bell Gage helmet made in 2014.
There is really nothing wrong with it but I read according to the CPSC helmets should be replaced every 5 to 10 years.
I have been lusting after a MET Trenta. I am not sure if it really fits my head because there is no where to try one on. In fact you cannot buy one in the US that is CPSC compliant. I talked to Competitive Cyclist and they said they should be getting some at the end of the month but they are black which is a no go for me. There are plenty of places I can buy one online from Europe but they are not the CPSC compliant version which weighs a little more. But I am hesitant to do this as the whole reason to buy a new helmet is for crash protection. I am not sure if there is really a difference in protection between European and US standards but it is obvious that CPSC is more difficult to pass.
Also returning a helmet to Europe that does not fit could be problematic.
I could go with something that is widely available here like Specialized, Bell or Giro but they don't really appeal to me.

Just came upon the Lazer G1 MIPS Helmet. That might be another option
Late to the party, but the answer is always 'if you have to ask, the answer is 'yes.'

M
Old 07-16-2022, 10:53 AM

Great thread topic.

I have Lazer somethingorother, 4-5 or so yrs old.

Couple months back I had stuck the lower half into a giant mixing bowl filled with Dawn soap, left it to soak for 5-10 minutes or so to clean the stinky straps and foam head pads.

Well...I forgot about it and it sat for a good 4-5+ hours.

The black plastic that was in the water/suds was discolored to grey. So weird.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:23 PM

Euro = good deals?

I'm in the same camp as others...
Smith Overtake fro 2014 ~ bright orange, which I like from a visibility point of view. Looks just fine and is sufficiently comfortable. I don't need the highest-zoot, but I'd like something nice.
Have looked at, but not tried on POC. No local shops ~ period. Semi-local that I've stopped in haven't had anything of interest, so I'm all but certain this will be a sight-unseen, mail-order purchase.

So does the US dollar versus the Euro = deals to be had from the EU mail-order houses? If so, is there a shop that folks would recommend?
Old 07-19-2022, 07:39 PM

Stopped at an independent shop today that carries Lazer I know the head mechanic. They only had a fewer lower end models and no size small.
I tried on a medium and it seemed ok but small might be better.