Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Shimano has deeper pockets to fight it in court unlike the bike shop/mechanic, who's likely to be thrown under the bus by both the shop and Shimano.
You're right, and the magic word for Shimano is "bifurcation".
Old 10-21-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
I haven't really read any of this thread.

As a boots on the ground shop manager, I can tell you that Shimano is explicitly releasing inspection-participating shops from liability should an inspected crank fail down the line.

I just sent in a crank last week that I thought would get returned to me, billed as being fine - new DA crankset on the way as of Friday.
Shimano doesn't hold the authority to release a shop from liability. Only the plaintiff's attorney can do that. Regardless of any signed documents.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:50 PM

It’s definitely true that none of the folks (including me) on this site are product liability lawyers. It seems like threads like this used to attract real experts.

I have absolutely never heard of a car dealer refusing to carry out a recall based on its terms or for any other reason.

When Shimano says they release shops from liability, that means that Shimano will indemnify the shop.

The good news is that we don’t have to be lawyers to know what the decent thing to do is. We all know that the ethical thing to do is to return every crank, if Shimano allows it.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:32 PM

Legal stuff aside, the problem is that Shimano wants to use a shop to keep costs down thru an "inspection" process that in theory culls the number of defective cranks they receive. Other side of the coin, Shimano doesn't have to face the customer when things go pear shaped. Roadies....they can be...interesting. A customer can be a problem in a local market if they feel "wronged". Shimano NA is more than welcome to follow up with a customer (face to face) and catch that spear, but most shops would rather not. Boiler plate download with fill in the blank fill -ins ain't enough in most situations

All that aside...I have failed every affected crank that has darkened my door. It gets yanked off the bike and tossed in a box with no packing material and sent to Irvine. I do not bother to clean it. So far, Shimano has replaced them all. That tells me the bigger story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
It’s definitely true that none of the folks (including me) on this site are product liability lawyers. It seems like threads like this used to attract real experts.

I have absolutely never heard of a car dealer refusing to carry out a recall based on its terms or for any other reason.

When Shimano says they release shops from liability, that means that Shimano will indemnify the shop.

The good news is that we don’t have to be lawyers to know what the decent thing to do is. We all know that the ethical thing to do is to return every crank, if Shimano allows it.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:35 PM

I finally checked mine and I have two affected crank sets, a 6800 and an 8000. I guess I'll hunt down an LBS, but there's a good chance I'll end up driving a few hours to Flagstaff to find an authorized shop. Fortunately, both bikes aren't seeing any action right now.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
I haven't really read any of this thread.

As a boots on the ground shop manager, I can tell you that Shimano is explicitly releasing inspection-participating shops from liability should an inspected crank fail down the line.

I just sent in a crank last week that I thought would get returned to me, billed as being fine - new DA crankset on the way as of Friday.
Then why have the LBS 'inspection' at all? Just ID crank from the code as being one of the 'batch, box it up and send it to shimano.

What NOMADMAX said below...yup, all about money and layers..I wonder if shimano factors in the legal fees to fight the 'proper' way forward..replace them all.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-23-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Then why have the LBS 'inspection' at all? Just ID crank from the code as being one of the 'batch, box it up and send it to shimano.
For the same reason Ford decided to pay lawsuits vs fix/recall the problem of people dying in Pinto rear end collisions (ie burning alive). It's cheaper.

https://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-...he-ford-pinto/
Old 10-22-2023, 07:45 PM

Some real world data:
I dropped my bike off at a Trek Store on September 23rd and received it back October 20th. They replaced my perfectly working, dead silent, but affected lot number 9100 cranks with 9200 in the exact same specifications. LBS said the 12 speed chainrings will work just fine with my 11 speed drivetrain and 8000 FD. Only 40 miles in, but so far, so good.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellymcfatfats View Post
Some real world data:
I dropped my bike off at a Trek Store on September 23rd and received it back October 20th. They replaced my perfectly working, dead silent, but affected lot number 9100 cranks with 9200 in the exact same specifications. LBS said the 12 speed chainrings will work just fine with my 11 speed drivetrain and 8000 FD. Only 40 miles in, but so far, so good.
FYI, your new chainrings are 11S on the 12S crank arms. You can see they’re labeled 11S. Mine are the same.
“Shimano has manufactured special recall replacement cranks that are based on 12-speed crank arms with special chainrings to work with 11-speed drivetrains. The special chainrings will be available from Shimano for replacement when they wear out.”
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...y%20wear%20out.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
FYI, your new chainrings are 11S on the 12S crank arms. You can see they’re labeled 11S. Mine are the same.
“Shimano has manufactured special recall replacement cranks that are based on 12-speed crank arms with special chainrings to work with 11-speed drivetrains. The special chainrings will be available from Shimano for replacement when they wear out.”
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...y%20wear%20out.
Good catch, thank you
Old 10-23-2023, 02:42 PM

Mine check out good. No creeking or cracks. Kinda was hoping for a new dual power meter setup. lol.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:19 PM

$114 million... and counting.

Shimano bike-related sales down 25% in first three quarters

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...three-quarters
Old 10-25-2023, 01:00 PM

You'd think White or some smaller manufacturer could make a drop in replacement with the same Q factor or something like that.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:10 PM
Vendor

My DA cranks are under recall. Haven't gotten a chance to take it to the shop yet, but anyone know if changing crank lengths on the replacement is an option?
Old 10-25-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
My DA cranks are under recall. Haven't gotten a chance to take it to the shop yet, but anyone know if changing crank lengths on the replacement is an option?
It is not an option. Like-for-like crank length and gear combo.