Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 08:10 PM

Well, looks like I start my new job on Monday. They can’t/won’t waive the 30 day waiting period for the health insurance so I’m debating getting cobra - or just hoping I don’t get sick enough to need medical care. On the bright side I’ll be making almost 10k more a year than the job I was just laid off from. So I’m thankful for that.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 PM

You can take your chances and make Cobra retroactive 90 days if it hits the fan. Atleast you used to be Cale to from what I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Well, looks like I start my new job on Monday. They can’t/won’t waive the 30 day waiting period for the health insurance so I’m debating getting cobra - or just hoping I don’t get sick enough to need medical care. On the bright side I’ll be making almost 10k more a year than the job I was just laid off from. So I’m thankful for that.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
You can take your chances and make Cobra retroactive 90 days if it hits the fan. Atleast you used to be Cale to from what I recall.
It's now 60 days from date of separation from company.

I'm coming up on 60 days and exercised two weeks ago just to provide some margin. Took almost 10 days (USPS Priority Mail, no less) for the form and check to be delivered to the administrative firm. Marked undeliverable Saturday, finally delivered Monday a week later. Glad I had that margin... I'm hoping to be re-employed within the next two weeks...but didn't want to worry about insurance. Have until the end of April to pay for April coverage...again, won't wait until the end of the month to send a check!
linkey
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Mandatory reading time for my kids right now and one has chosen to sit RIGHT BEHIND ME on our bed. Our kids are pretty close to us, plus this uncertainty is driving them around the bend. My ten year old daughter was losing it yesterday, so I signed up to take them out on a bike ride at 100-230pm to give them some sanity. Missed a meeting, but I have a great boss who says 'family comes first'. She also has an 8yr old, so she gets it.

I am checking out early from work to buy a new iPad for us so that we are set up for online learning starting next week. Our tech is old and messy, so I need to invest a bit and now seems a good time. No childcare costs for the next few months, so I guess we transfer that cost to technology to cover ourselves off!?

Its gonna be a long spring/summer for all of us.
Agree..my 6 and 8yo grand daughters are increasingly anxious. Luckily they have ipads, and taken to the online schooling well but mom and dad cannot work from home. Mom a nurse(mom and new baby) and Dad part of code enforcement at city of Denver..we, wife and I, nanny..don't know what to do there..I am considering having the girls live with us full time but doubt that'll work..might really send them off the deep end..I worry about myself not at all but the girlies and wife(asthma)..scary.

Options..I go live with them until dust settles or the girls come live with us..probably not that one..too hard on them.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:39 AM

As a Swede (anyone else on here?) it's not affecting me that much but my SO has been permitted from work and is only working 40% with 93% pay, the rest is from the government.
I work in the automotive industry towards china so we're rolling 100% whilst Europe is grinding to a halt.

It's also springtime here and people are acting stupid sitting in the open air café in clusters like imbeciles. Age is around 23-25 so proper stupidness on their part.

I'm waiting on the second wave to come.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:25 AM

There was NO period of stay at home there, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrust View Post
As a Swede (anyone else on here?) it's not affecting me that much but my SO has been permitted from work and is only working 40% with 93% pay, the rest is from the government.
I work in the automotive industry towards china so we're rolling 100% whilst Europe is grinding to a halt.

It's also springtime here and people are acting stupid sitting in the open air café in clusters like imbeciles. Age is around 23-25 so proper stupidness on their part.

I don't think you have to worry about 2nd wave yet, your 1st is still unfolding. Is this still accurate:
"Sweden is the largest European country with the fewest limits on where people can go and what they can do. Schools for children up to the age of 16 remain open, many people continue to go to work and packed commuter trains and buses were reported this week in the capital, Stockholm. “Clearly, Sweden stands out at the moment,” said Carl Bildt, the former prime minister.
Swedish authorities have banned public gatherings of more than 500 people, closed universities and higher education colleges, and advised workers to stay at home if possible. Authorities on Tuesday ordered restaurants and bars only to serve people at tables rather than at the bar.
Local media have been full of stories of thousands of people gathering at Swedish ski resorts, which until Saturday kept their nightlife open. The virus has previously spread easily in mountain resorts in Austria and Italy."

It will be frustrating to watch that unfold there as it did elsewhere, particularly if there are enough industries and leisure travel tied to infected countries, then the seeding is probably already bad. The capacity of places to wait until it is obviously an issue amazes me--there is zero data to suggest any European nation will not have similar kinetics of the virus spreading without serious mitigation efforts. Data does suggest the young don't get that ill, but that they do spread it, so the level of mitigation described would not be effective. Hoping you and yours all stay healthy
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM
Riding Along

Quote:

TuscanySwe is on here a lot and is in Sweden.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I don't think you have to worry about 2nd wave yet, your 1st is still unfolding. Is this still accurate:
"Sweden is the largest European country with the fewest limits on where people can go and what they can do. Schools for children up to the age of 16 remain open, many people continue to go to work and packed commuter trains and buses were reported this week in the capital, Stockholm. “Clearly, Sweden stands out at the moment,” said Carl Bildt, the former prime minister.
Swedish authorities have banned public gatherings of more than 500 people, closed universities and higher education colleges, and advised workers to stay at home if possible. Authorities on Tuesday ordered restaurants and bars only to serve people at tables rather than at the bar.
Local media have been full of stories of thousands of people gathering at Swedish ski resorts, which until Saturday kept their nightlife open. The virus has previously spread easily in mountain resorts in Austria and Italy."

It will be frustrating to watch that unfold there as it did elsewhere, particularly if there are enough industries and leisure travel tied to infected countries, then the seeding is probably already bad. The capacity of places to wait until it is obviously an issue amazes me--there is zero data to suggest any European nation will not have similar kinetics of the virus spreading without serious mitigation efforts. Data does suggest the young don't get that ill, but that they do spread it, so the level of mitigation described would not be effective. Hoping you and yours all stay healthy
Wow. Recipe for a disaster.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post

Yep, it is a disaster. Stockholm is ground zero. Now it's max 50 people though.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...6f9f87457ed9aa <- Data for Sweden

Last edited by Thrust; 03-28-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:28 PM

good news, bad news

Quote:
Yep, it is a disaster. Stockholm is ground zero. Now it's max 50 people though.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...6f9f87457ed9aa <- Data for Sweden
right now your cases are doubling every 5-6 days, which is good news as some areas have been/are every 2-3 days, but i have no idea the prevalence of testing they are doing. The arcgis.com dashboards shows you have just over 3400 cases and just over 100 dead. Assuming those tested were symptomatic, you have at least 4 times as many asymptomatically spreading it to some degree. A recent paper shows delay in instituting mitigation efforts has bad consequences:
"We present a self-synchronizing and robust method for comparing the progression of the Covid-19 epidemics among multiple countries. In their growth phase the epidemics show power law rather than exponential law time dependences. They are similar enough for the earlier China outbreak to guide other countries projections. The delayed reaction of European countries is shown to produce a significantly worse outcome compared to China."
of note their model does predict >10000 deaths in Italy, which occurred today
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...964v2.full.pdf
Old 03-28-2020, 03:38 PM

In some respects it hasn't affected me all that much, mostly for two reasons. One, I'm retired so already spend most of my time at home and, two, I live in France. The country's been in lockdown for more than a week now (I've forgotten to be honest, feels like it's been a month but I think more like 9 days) and the movement restrictions are seriously enforced by the police. The fine the first time I think is something like 135 euros but escalates rapidly after that up to including jail time. Given the state's decision to massively finance people's lives (pretty much the standard in Europe actually) as in paying I think 80% of their salaries, people aren't even close to panic mode. Seriously worried for sure as the entire health system is being massively loaded after years and years of cutting back and cutting back, again true in a lot of euro countries, at least those who have been unfortunately following the american model.

My wife is very worried as she has an immune system that is not functioning well due to another illness she's been dealing with for a few years. So serious precautions, like leaving the groceries and stuff in the car for 24 hours before bringing them into the house and then washing/disinfecting all. Nothing unusual in that it's strongly recommended by government docs. The hardest part is not being able to ride, absolutely not allowed, and go anywhere. The latter is actually kind of funny because we don't go anywhere anyway but at least before we could think about it!

Fortunately we live in a small village with super easy access to hiking trails, as in for me two minutes of walking and I'm in the countryside. So now I'm a hiker again, which somewhat ironically I've been thinking i'd like to start doing again, though that thought has been in my head for a couple of years or more with no action taken on the thought. Until now. Still, have to say I seriously miss my bowl-and-roll times. Bowling and walking don't do it so I just do the walking bit after working. Also fortunately I've got, though rapidly dwindling, a nice stockpile of wood so my projects keep me busy but I'm really starting to need to do a run to the sawmill and hardware store for some items but no sunshine there, and not for at least another three weeks apparently. Macron just announced restrictions will continue until 15 April.

We're also pretty secure because of the socialized health care system. I swear I absolutely cannot even begin to understand why so many americans are so opposed to socialized health care. I mean what the hell every congressman or person or whatever they're called now and every senator and I suppose all their aides, etc. all enjoy a very generous socialized health care system, and have to the end of their lives. But heaven forbid if any normal americans get anything like that! Very weird. Believe me, knowing you have health care is a mind saver.

Life can get pretty boring like this but the alternatives are too scary to contemplate. The crazy thing with this virus is that someone in good health with no issues at all can get it, seem to be passing through it with no problems, on the way to recovery, and bam, just like that, in a matter of hours he or she is dead! And apparently anyone who ends of on a respirator is to a great extent doomed with screwed-up lungs and other stuff not working correctly. To the point that doctors are now thinking that when patients reach a certain point they're really best off left to die. Harsh as hell and totally against everything they've learned and believe but...

No family gatherings, no friends getting together, no weddings, no funerals, etc. Depending on the size of the store - and here store means groceries, bakery, pharmacy, only stuff like that, all else is closed, bars, restaurants, etc. - there are limits on how many people can be inside at the same time. We've been lucky because the weather has been spectacular so waiting outside hasn't been a problem. Definitely won't be the same joy with rain and wind.

All in all makes for an interesting life.