Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2022, 07:04 AM

I find sub-50º the point where it gets a bit too cold on the motorcycle.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the riding days are mostly behind me for the season.

Made a u-turn on the fine day this picture was taken to grab an apple pie from Samascott Orchards in Kinderhook, NY to find a sign in the window saying they closed early.

Dammit!

November 7, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 11-17-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:10 AM

@NHAero if you ever want to see an amazing restoration of an R80ST still in progress, check out what Brook Reams is working on. This is a full charity rebuild...I have been fascinated by the videos he has posted of the work he is doing to this bike.

If money were no object I would buy this when it is complete regardless of the price. And park it right next to a brand new R1250GSA which I also dream about regularly.

https://brook.reams.me

SPP
Old 11-17-2022, 08:20 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I find sub-50º the point where it gets a bit too cold on the motorcycle.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the riding days are mostly behind me for the season.

SPP
Sub 50 degree Fahrenheit?

Winter handlebar mitts and an electric vest should get you another 10 degrees and another month of riding most years! At least for rides in the one to two hour range.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Sub 50 degree Fahrenheit?

Winter handlebar mitts and an electric vest should get you another 10 degrees and another month of riding most years! At least for rides in the one to two hour range.
lol I know...

no place to plug a vest in, but you are right!

Funny thing is I ride my bicycle in some frigid temps (down to maybe 12º), but find I don't really enjoy riding the motorcycle when it gets too cold.

Of course, if the sun is shining nice and bright it makes all the difference, so maybe I'll get some more riding in on the sunnier days.

SPP
Old 11-17-2022, 02:24 PM

Electric riding gear is a game changer this time of year. It is instant heat and makes a huge difference.

I love riding my Vespa scooter to work (Harley-Davidson assembly plant) when almost all other riders have given up for the year. Last night when I left it was 34 degrees. I actually had to turn down the thermostat on my jacket before I even got out of the parking lot. It sure beats driving in a cold car waiting 10 minutes for the heater to really start working on my 20 minute commute.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:13 PM

I guess I worry about adding stuff that requires electrical draw to 40 year old motorcycles.

I do have an updated EMU charging system...should I not worry about this?

SPP
Old 11-17-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Electric riding gear is a game changer this time of year. It is instant heat and makes a huge difference.

I love riding my Vespa scooter to work (Harley-Davidson assembly plant) when almost all other riders have given up for the year. Last night when I left it was 34 degrees. I actually had to turn down the thermostat on my jacket before I even got out of the parking lot. It sure beats driving in a cold car waiting 10 minutes for the heater to really start working on my 20 minute commute.
Wow you ride a Vespa to the Harley Plant. You get much harassment from the hardcore Harley riders?
I see from earlier posts you have the Beta X-Trainer. A buddy of mine works at a Beta shop and has one of the trials bikes along with a 300 2T Enduro bike. He just loves the Beta. I sold a 690 Enduro just pre Covid and have the bug to buy something again. I was watching Kaplan America on YouTube and he was showing off a Gas Gas 500 2T kit bike that will be production in limited numbers which got me excited. Also he had a Maico 700 2T that really got me pumped and both bikes are plateable.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I guess I worry about adding stuff that requires electrical draw to 40 year old motorcycles.

SPP
Definitely something to consider. With everything plugged in and engine running at an idle I never drop below 14 volts, so I should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
Wow you ride a Vespa to the Harley Plant. You get much harassment from the hardcore Harley riders?
I see from earlier posts you have the Beta X-Trainer.
I've worked there for 27 years and have ridden about every brand of motorcycle to work. I can't ever remember getting any serious harassment. The employee demographic has substantially changed over that time as well. There are very few of what I consider hard core riders there anymore.

I'm not a great off road rider, but the Beta Xtrainer is like cheating. It makes very manageable power and is pretty light weight. The smaller frame and lower seat height also help in technical terrain.

The 690 enduro is a great bike. I have a 2019 I use as a light adventure touring bike. It's a little too heavy for single track for my skill level, but I have seen video of people doing amazing things with them.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:19 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:

SPP
I use the same SAE pigtail that my battery tender plugs into. As for 'old stuff',
I've got two Airheads ('75 and '82) that I've run my vest on for decades. Also on my '77 Guzzi. If they can do it anything can!

If you keep your core warm the body will continue to pump blood out to the fingers and toes. I find the handlebar mounted winter mitts to be an equally wonderful cold weather treat. I am able to use 'three season' gloves instead of really bulky winter ones.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:27 PM

My little 150
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqNHJDkE63Zd!7UnBO53TSId1!~~60_12.jpg (45.0 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:57 PM

@PaMtbRider
've worked there for 27 years and have ridden about every brand of motorcycle to work. I can't ever remember getting any serious harassment. The employee demographic has substantially changed over that time as well. There are very few of what I consider hard core riders there anymore.

I'm not a great off road rider, but the Beta Xtrainer is like cheating. It makes very manageable power and is pretty light weight. The smaller frame and lower seat height also help in technical terrain.

The 690 enduro is a great bike. I have a 2019 I use as a light adventure touring bike. It's a little too heavy for single track for my skill level, but I have seen video of people doing amazing things with them.

I guess its a good thing to see the demographic change as Harley is a more mainstream moto even here in Canada.
My Beta buddy took me to a Beta test ride day for the public and they had a great selection of bikes including the X-Trainer but I didnt ride it and instead rode the Trials along with a 480, 430, and a 300 2T enduro bike through a small section of woods and fields they had set up.
The 690 was a great bike if you stayed away from the really tight trails. I typically rode the more open tails and gravel rds playing on the back wheel as much as could get away with. Great wheelie bike with the tank under the seat. With the changes they made after 2010 I dont think I would get another but definitely would look at anything under 600cc but not less then 450 just to catch a break on insurance even though mine wasnt too bad. Bikes I would consider are 2T and 4T by Beta, Huskey, KTM, Gas Gas as long as they are blue plateable. My buddy really wants me on a Beta. He previously had the 480 and it would hold me on(690) a drag race up until about 120 km/h and then just run out of legs.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:29 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Definitely something to consider. With everything plugged in and engine running at an idle I never drop below 14 volts, so I should be good.

I've worked there for 27 years and have ridden about every brand of motorcycle to work. I can't ever remember getting any serious harassment. The employee demographic has substantially changed over that time as well. There are very few of what I consider hard core riders there anymore.
Funny, I harass the HD guys daily at work (even if they don't ride them in).
All in good fun of course
Old 11-19-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Got a recommendation on a heated vest?

Also would be curious about what bar mitts you use....

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 11-19-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:54 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Got a recommendation on a heated vest?

Also would be curious about what bar mitts you use....

SPP
I like these mitts a lot.
http://www.stormind.net/hand-warmer.html

As for electric vests look here.
https://www.aerostich.com/clothing?cat=58
Old 11-19-2022, 09:37 AM

Just picked up this little guy last summer. Newest issue of the CT. 1/10th the cc but more fun than my biggest bike.

Gets lots of love. I parked it downtown and when I came back out, it had attracted a couple of friends.

Last edited by maj; 11-19-2022 at 09:42 AM.