Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2023, 12:37 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If this follows the path of a typical class action suit, everyone that purchased a Shimano crank will get a coupon for 10% off the purchase of a new crank, and the attorneys will get a big pile of cash.
Do the class participants get to contribute to a decision for a bad 'for consumer' settlement such as this I wonder.

Wonder how many of us will do up new project builds sans Shimano going forward. And how will Campy and SRAM keep up I also am wondering.

Gunna ride my Campy Nago today... One of them.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:09 PM

Just found out that Shimano will be replacing both sides of my D-Ace cranks. Hoping for the correct crank arm length too. Also hoping that it doesn't take too much more time.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:34 PM

I inspected a Dura Ace 9000 crankset on October 9th; it failed. I entered it into Shimano's online portal, including chainring sizing and crank arm length, and they shipped the replacement in less than a week. Hopefully yours goes just as quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Just found out that Shimano will be replacing both sides of my D-Ace cranks. Hoping for the correct crank arm length too. Also hoping that it doesn't take too much more time.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I inspected a Dura Ace 9000 crankset on October 9th; it failed. I entered it into Shimano's online portal, including chainring sizing and crank arm length, and they shipped the replacement in less than a week. Hopefully yours goes just as quickly.
Do you know what the options are for those with 180s? I've no interest in running 177.5s and would prefer to receive a length I could easily sell.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:17 PM

They are doing like-for-like replacement when there is a current model that matches what you have. There isn't an option to request a different crank arm length, at least not that I can recall. If they no longer offer that crank arm length in the current model, I suppose they will give you the closest length they have available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Do you know what the options are for those with 180s? I've no interest in running 177.5s and would prefer to receive a length I could easily sell.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Mine has been at the shop for maybe three weeks. It would be great to have the bike back on the road within another two.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
So you don’t have to send it in? Does anyone know if there is a date deadline?
Old 10-19-2023, 09:28 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I think fa63 might work at a shop..
Old 10-19-2023, 10:44 AM

Yes, you have to send it in. Shimano does their own inspection and they will either concur with the mechanic's assessment and send out a replacement, or disagree and ship the cranks back to you.

And yes, I do work at a bike shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Old 10-19-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, you have to send it in. Shimano does their own inspection and they will either concur with the mechanic's assessment and send out a replacement, or disagree and ship the cranks back to you.

And yes, I do work at a bike shop.
To clarify, the shop only sends the affected crank to Shimano if it fails the visual/audio inspection at the shop, including uploading photos to Shimano's dealer website? That's my understanding of the intent of the recall, but I have also heard rumors that some shops are sending all affected cranks to Shimano.

Greg
Old 10-19-2023, 11:29 AM

When I first heard of the recall, I pulled my Dura ace crank, cleaned it up, and inspected it. I didn't see anything suspect, but took it to the local shop anyways. They also didn't see anything wrong, but said they are returning everything so that shimano had the final say and associated liability. I left it with them and they just messaged yesterday that both crank arms are being replaced and should be in the store ready for pickup next week.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
When I first heard of the recall, I pulled my Dura ace crank, cleaned it up, and inspected it. I didn't see anything suspect, but took it to the local shop anyways. They also didn't see anything wrong, but said they are returning everything so that shimano had the final say and associated liability. I left it with them and they just messaged yesterday that both crank arms are being replaced and should be in the store ready for pickup next week.
I no longer work at a shop, but if I did, this is what I would do. Good on your shop. Glad it worked out!
Old 10-20-2023, 09:12 AM

Admittedly, I did not read through this whole thread, but here was my experience. I had 4 cranksets in the recall window; 6800, R8000, and two R9100.

I called my LBS the morning of 10/7 to ask what they're doing and if they're seeing any issues yet. They said they have already sent a few back, so I pulled all my sets and took them in that morning. I was not in a rush and asked them take as long as they needed. The next day they called and said one of the 9100 sets had a crack on the non-drive side where the pinch bolts are located. They were sent into Shimano, and the replacements arrived Wednesday. So, 1.5 weeks from drop-off to having a new set in my hands.

My LBS pointed out the only real visible cues on the new set are the 11S markings, and on the tip of the non-drive side arm there is a barcode instead of a "science of speed" label found on the 12s version.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
Admittedly, I did not read through this whole thread, but here was my experience. I had 4 cranksets in the recall window; 6800, R8000, and two R9100.

I called my LBS the morning of 10/7 to ask what they're doing and if they're seeing any issues yet. They said they have already sent a few back, so I pulled all my sets and took them in that morning. I was not in a rush and asked them take as long as they needed. The next day they called and said one of the 9100 sets had a crack on the non-drive side where the pinch bolts are located. They were sent into Shimano, and the replacements arrived Wednesday. So, 1.5 weeks from drop-off to having a new set in my hands.

My LBS pointed out the only real visible cues on the new set are the 11S markings, and on the tip of the non-drive side arm there is a barcode instead of a "science of speed" label found on the 12s version.
Did your LBS return your other three cranksets to you? I ask because this recall appears to have very different applications depending on the LBS. In your case, it sounds like one crank (out of four) was sent to Shimano for inspection/replacement. Other LBSs have been reported to send ALL affected cranksets to Shimano (regardless of whether they showed cracks or not). This apparently inconsistent application of the recall is troubling to me because of the possibility that not all consumers are treated equally AND the potential for affected cranks to fail after inspection. I am hopeful that Shimano will eventually replace ALL affected cranks.

Greg
Old 10-20-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Did your LBS return your other three cranksets to you? I ask because this recall appears to have very different applications depending on the LBS. In your case, it sounds like one crank (out of four) was sent to Shimano for inspection/replacement. Other LBSs have been reported to send ALL affected cranksets to Shimano (regardless of whether they showed cracks or not). This apparently inconsistent application of the recall is troubling to me because of the possibility that not all consumers are treated equally AND the potential for affected cranks to fail after inspection. I am hopeful that Shimano will eventually replace ALL affected cranks.

Greg
The other three sets were returned to me.