Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2022, 10:57 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I've found it take religious perusing time on the TPC to 1) find used decent value with near no 'wear' [above normal it seems] and 2) find non over priced wares.

I finally found a minty TPC Domane RSL/SRL 60CM frameset there but it sold before I got to it. The 2600.00 price for a used frameset caused me pause in the "how much do I want it VS value" arena.

This was about 9 months ago after months of peruse. I hate to use the word rare for production plastic, but let's say scarce maybe.

PL is better to watch for PSAs more closely. Or has been for me a few times [English, Tomii]. Got same RSL/SLR frame via a PSA here for less than 1/2 TPC $, it is in route. Both were good colors at least. Good price on a color you do not like you look at all the time not withstanding.

It did not help my TPC prejudice the one time I seeked a buy offer that was out of the question by "a lot". Considering I saw just them selling frame of said bike in nasty cosmetic shape for more than their offer. And my bike was Ti/ENVE/disc/R8000/carbon hoops as new. Sale frameset had generic carbon fork not ENVE. So not really been back there and won't most probably.

Yea, I know it is a biz and nothing personal etc. But my biz sense tell me doing biz with them is not a good idea unless I am willing to pay too much or take too little by more than small margins.

Last edited by robt57; 09-29-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
FWIW, I just snagged an open-box Force AXS crank+rings+powermeter for the cost of just the powermeter in retail packaging. So, used bike quality notwithstanding, TPC has some good deals, at least occasionally.
I guess I missed that!
Old 09-29-2022, 11:14 AM

I just shipped the Look 795 frame I had up for sale here to TPC. I did have the option of a cash offer. I had purchased it used, but still took a little haircut selling it to them after offering it here at a really low price.

It's my first experience selling to them, and the online process went pretty smoothly so far.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:12 AM

https://twitter.com/BicycleRetailer/...38928831352832

Quote:
The Pro's Closet, the online reseller of used and overstock bikes and gear, has laid off about 15% of its workforce, the company confirmed to BRAIN. The news comes as Thule also confirmed 34 layoffs at its US operations.
It's fall and all but that's still a big chunk of payroll disappearing.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:27 AM

Sorry to see people losing their jobs--and cutting retail right before the holiday season can't be a good sign.

From an outside perspective, I have noticed that they have been adding to their inventory much less frequently lately. Bikes seem to stick around a long time. They haven't been lowering their prices much, so it seems like they are trying to preserve their margins at the expense of their cash flow.

I'm still hoping they'll have some good Black Friday deals, and they can have some more of my money, but they definitely look like a company that's struggling right now.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Sorry to see people losing their jobs--and cutting retail right before the holiday season can't be a good sign.

From an outside perspective, I have noticed that they have been adding to their inventory much less frequently lately. Bikes seem to stick around a long time. They haven't been lowering their prices much, so it seems like they are trying to preserve their margins at the expense of their cash flow.

I'm still hoping they'll have some good Black Friday deals, and they can have some more of my money, but they definitely look like a company that's struggling right now.
Geez, sure pack a lot into that one article and some of the lower end labor being laid off. Really doubt they are 'struggling'....A lot of bike shops with big employee roles start too layoff these days too. As bike sales slow.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
https://twitter.com/BicycleRetailer/...38928831352832

It's fall and all but that's still a big chunk of payroll disappearing.

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-19-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Geez, sure pack a lot into that one article and some of the lower end labor being laid off. Really doubt they are 'struggling'....A lot of bike shops with big employee roles start too layoff these days too. As bike sales slow.
I didn't say they were on the verge of bankruptcy. Admittedly, "struggling" is a subjective term, but please tell me, how would you summarize the current financial conditions of an online retailer that laid off 15% of its workforce right before the holiday season?
Old 10-17-2022, 12:00 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
I didn't say they were on the verge of bankruptcy. Admittedly, "struggling" is a subjective term, but please tell me, how would you summarize the current financial conditions of an online retailer that laid off 15% of its workforce right before the holiday season?
Well put. I definitely wouldn't call that thriving!
Old 10-17-2022, 12:13 PM

its lovely that most companies have a nice buffer they can always rely on when they make poor business decisions, and just lay off droves of people with bills/families..
Old 10-17-2022, 12:18 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Never good to lay anybody off but they see the p&l and make corrections before they are ‘struggling’. I can’t really summarize anything but in my bag of business description words…with regard to TPC, ‘struggling’ isn’t one I would use.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Never good to lay anybody off but they see the p&l and make corrections before they are ‘struggling’. I can’t really summarize anything but in my bag of business description words…with regard to TPC, ‘struggling’ isn’t one I would use.
If buddies at The Pros Closet aren't struggling, why not keep staff on?

That would only help young struggling families.

Pay them to work to INCREASE the positive outlook for the business. Clean the bikes chains, post test rides on youtube, engage social media on more forums. Paint the building. Clean the bathrooms extra well. Reorganize the break room.

To just fire them when the outlook is less sunny than you anticipated, seems like a very Trumpian move. ("You're Fired!").

Or has capitalism crept into Boulder, in a Trojan Horse named "Venture Capital"?

Last edited by Old School; 10-17-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Holiday season ≠ resale bike season.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Or has capitalism crept into Boulder, in a Trojan Horse named "Venture Capital"?
Do you think all Boulder businesses are non-profits?
Old 10-17-2022, 01:05 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Holiday season ≠ resale bike season.
When I worked as a mechanic, I always got laid off in the winter. That's why I'm not a mechanic.