Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2024, 10:54 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Do any of these luxury gas SUVs have anywhere near the instant torque of the EVs?

Every ICE car I've driven the last 10 years has been full of compromises in terms of throttle response and so on. They keep advertising more and more horsepower but then programming throttle response and shift curves and such to try and get back some fuel economy and especially if it's an automatic transmission it's just gross.

The way EVs always have all their torque available with no lag and never do anything stupid is wonderful. You get the best of both worlds.
for me, the whole torque thing is just a by-line.. sure, it's fun to mash the pedal and get the holeshot, but how often are you really doing that? It's kind of like someone talking up the HP of a supercar vs a Miata.. sure, that supercar will kill a Miata in all categories.. and you can only do that, legally, on a track.. everyday driving, the Miata is, probably a several hundred times over value leader..

for everyday driving around town, doing short-ish commutes/errands, it's hard to beat an EV.. as long as you have an easy way to charge at home, IMHO..
Old 08-27-2024, 12:08 PM

The one thing that surprises me is that the Cyber Truck is not as big as one might think. I have parked next to one several times in our Audi Q7 and really they are about the same length and height. Granted the Q7 is a large SUV, but its not a Suburban or Expedition by any means. It is still ugly as sin and has the worse design language of any vehicle since the Pontiac Aztec.

Regarding the Thing being a precursor to the Rabbit, that does not make a lot of sense. As another poster mentioned, I believe the Thing was a way to leverage a cheap convertible quickly off of the Beetle/Karmann Ghia chassis. In the US it was only available from 72-75 and did not meet safety standards. To say the Rabbit was just two boxes put together and was in someway similar to the thing is a pretty big misstatement. Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the Rabbit/Golf and it is certainly not the same as a Thing in any way. The Rabbit was a response to safety and emissions requirements of the early to mid 70s that a Beetle could not possibly meet moving forward in the US and Western Europe.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
If you're comparing total cost of ownership of a Tesla vs. a similar ICE car, first you have to pick an ICE car that has performance, features, and infotainment comparable to your Model Y.

Your Model Y does 0-60 in what, 4.8 seconds? Which ICE car compares well to your Model Y on balance in all those areas? Mercedes GLC? Audi Q5?

Any TCO would have to take into account depreciation, and I can’t image any remotely comparable car has depreciated like Tesla if you bought one before (or during) the huge price decreases. Now, at the current lease prices, it is totally different story — they are crazy cheap.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:46 PM

David Attenborough explains cybertrucks

https://www.reddit.com/r/CyberStuck/s/VqZYzk7w4J
Old 08-30-2024, 07:50 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

With the understanding that most of the first wave of CT owners are probably "early adopters" who don't stick with anything very long, one still has to wonder how many, three years from now, will still own their CTs. I'm sure the majority will be on to the next shiny thing.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

I'm dying.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:46 PM

Good use of 35 seconds, funny stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I'm dying.
Old 08-30-2024, 10:08 PM

Old 08-30-2024, 11:27 PM

So this week Tesla dropped the policy that you can't sell your cybertruck in the first year.

I heard it described as an angry brutalist wedge of stainless steel.

It makes the Aztec and Gremin look good, I'll give it that.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:02 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Pshaw! The Aztec is in a class of it's own, and not even the CT can begin to rival it.

Old 08-31-2024, 12:56 AM

ok now that right there is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

Old 08-31-2024, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Not to nitpick, but I wouldn't be willing to pay even a nickel more for this feature, but I might even be willing to pay a bit more to be 100% sure that my car wasn't listening to every sound I uttered.
Unfortunately, this is an issue with essentially every modern car. This research from Mozilla was quite depressing.
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/pr...d-for-privacy/

As for the cybertruck, it would probably be my last choice of cars to be hit by. Pedestrian safety doesn’t seem to have been considered at all during the design process.
Old 08-31-2024, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrudoff View Post
The one thing that surprises me is that the Cyber Truck is not as big as one might think. I have parked next to one several times in our Audi Q7 and really they are about the same length and height. Granted the Q7 is a large SUV, but its not a Suburban or Expedition by any means. It is still ugly as sin and has the worse design language of any vehicle since the Pontiac Aztec.

Regarding the Thing being a precursor to the Rabbit, that does not make a lot of sense. As another poster mentioned, I believe the Thing was a way to leverage a cheap convertible quickly off of the Beetle/Karmann Ghia chassis. In the US it was only available from 72-75 and did not meet safety standards. To say the Rabbit was just two boxes put together and was in someway similar to the thing is a pretty big misstatement. Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the Rabbit/Golf and it is certainly not the same as a Thing in any way. The Rabbit was a response to safety and emissions requirements of the early to mid 70s that a Beetle could not possibly meet moving forward in the US and Western Europe.
The Thing was of course a beetle in disguise. The beetle platform had already been offered in a convertible configuration, so how would it make any sense to "leverage a cheap convertible" by creating the temporary, primitive Thing?
Especially as the Thing didn't as you say have much in common with the Rabbit as far as the design, yet was made with the very same shape and sloping flat hood covering a "boot" or an engine!
So with the Rabbit largely copying the shape of the earlier foreign-market "wagen", the predescessor vehicle needed to be briefly brought here prior to the Rabbit's arrival.
The Thing got people used to seeing the sloping flat hood on a boxy body, so that the heavy investment in the new Rabbit platform would not be a laughing-stock market failure in the US, just as the CT now helps to get people used to a Prius-shaped pickup truck, so that the future (rounder, painted) CT won't get immediately laughed out of the trucking market.

I agree that there is a big difference this time around, in that the current CT arrives with all new design, while the Rabbit came with new design only after the primitive Thing had been put on the market.
And, of course the Rabbit and the CT do seem to exist at opposite ends of the price spectrum.

In both cases, an aesthetically-challenged, but very important and practical new vehicle design needed to be brought to market under a sort of fun, uniquely-stylized, but short-lived guise or narrative, to distract future buyers from the shock of an inherent "econobox-cheap" (or Prius-practical) sort of aesthetic.

Last edited by dddd; 08-31-2024 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2024, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprophet View Post
Unfortunately, this is an issue with essentially every modern car. This research from Mozilla was quite depressing.
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/pr...d-for-privacy/

As for the cybertruck, it would probably be my last choice of cars to be hit by. Pedestrian safety doesn’t seem to have been considered at all during the design process.
It remains to be seen what a full year of safety statistics will tell us about the CT, but it could be that it's accident-avoidance features trump the sort of shape features that have been used to improve safety in the past.
Old 08-31-2024, 08:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
So this week Tesla dropped the policy that you can't sell your cybertruck in the first year.

I heard it described as an angry brutalist wedge of stainless steel.

Tesla had a 'policy' that you couldn't sell your CT in the first year? How on earth would they 'police'(not a pun) that? More of Elon being Elon...

Tags
incels, muskrat