Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Post Mod-ern

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
. . . But I can't also help but think that part of this is aimed at shifting liability away from Shimano if a potential problem were to arise.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 10-08-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
The ol buffalo street stress test!
Yes!
Old 10-12-2023, 10:06 AM

Amazon flagged my account today with "A purchase you made has been recalled" and sure enough it was the Ultegra cranks I have on my Domane.

Not sure what I will do, this recall is so stupid. It says do not ride the bike, but then it says they're not going to do anything for you unless it's already separated.

So realistically I'm looking at buying new cranks if I'm going to be safe/cautious.

It makes me appreciate the joyous simplicity of jogging yesterday and lifting weights. Almost nothing expensive there that I have to worry about catastrophically failing.

Last edited by benb; 10-12-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:20 AM

Any others dealing with recalled 180mm cranks which Shimano no longer makes? I have 9000 compacts on my travel bike for easy removal and there are no other integrated spindle crank options with road Q factor out there.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:35 AM

Shimano

Just took 6 cranks to local LBS. He sent all back to Shimano. He did not want responsibility if something happens in the future.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:35 PM

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/shi...rankset-recall

As expected, class action lawsuit against Shimano, Trek, and Specialized. The saga continues.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:31 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb94 View Post

As expected, class action lawsuit against Shimano, Trek, and Specialized. The saga continues.

Where do I sign up?
Old 10-12-2023, 02:44 PM

There is some good points made in the filing: the lawsuit is arguing that Shimano is "deferring to local bike shops to make an important engineering determination in order to save money". I had the same feeling when I found out that Shimano was asking the shops to inspect the cranks and make the call on pass/fail Our shop's position is that we are sending everything to Shimano and letting them make the determination; we are not going to take the fall (excuse the pun) on their behalf... There is also the issue of cranks passing visual inspection now but failing at a later date.

Quote:

Last edited by fa63; 10-12-2023 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:03 PM

There are some interesting wrinkles in all this, and my bike shows some of them.

My bike is a Trek.

I didn't buy my Shimano crankset from Trek, because Trek wouldn't offer my bike in the frame size + crank length + chainring size I wanted, so I bought a frameset.

I didn't buy my crankset from the LBS either.. I got one side from Amazon and the other side I ordered from Stages.

But the LBS installed it on the frame..

Hard for me to think anyone needs to be punished or have any accountability for any of this other than Shimano. Trek, Specialized, and your LBS all thought the cranksets would be fine and trusted Shimano due to their history.

I think if this got really ugly it will make some of these companies thing twice about the arms race we've had of we've had where the status quo seems to be lighter every year without huge price increases and huge increases in engineering discipline. Bikes might have gotten really expensive, but not at the levels you normally see where things get exponentially more expensive as you approach safety/performance limits.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
There is some good points made in the filing: the lawsuit is arguing that Shimano is "deferring to local bike shops to make an important engineering determination in order to save money". I had the same feeling when I found out that Shimano was asking the shops to inspect the cranks and make the call on pass/fail Our shop's position is that we are sending everything to Shimano and letting them make the determination; we are not going to take the fall (excuse the pun) on their behalf... There is also the issue of cranks passing visual inspection now but failing at a later date.
Lawsuit filing comes to the same conclusions that we've all been talking about here.

Shimano is trying to rely on unqualified people to make engineering decisions, and are doing it in such a way that the intended outcome would generally preclude Shimano from having to recall and replace as many crank sets. Secondly, when something does inevitably go wrong, it's the bike shops fault and not Shimano's for saying that the cranks were still safe to ride.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:46 PM

No inside information from me-but I suspect that Shimano will replace all cranksets attected by the 'recall' eventually.

I think Shimano is trying to weed out the worst cranks first, at the same time as giving themselves time to make a whole bunch of replacements. At least I hope so.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:39 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
No inside information from me-but I suspect that Shimano will replace all cranksets attected by the 'recall' eventually.

I think Shimano is trying to weed out the worst cranks first, at the same time as giving themselves time to make a whole bunch of replacements. At least I hope so.
I think and hope the same. They simply cannot replace ALL the cranks right away or even close, so are taking care of the worst first.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I think and hope the same. They simply cannot replace ALL the cranks right away or even close, so are taking care of the worst first.
If this was indeed the plan all along, they should have just said so. Nobody would have faulted them for being honest. If anything, seems like it would open them up to additional liability.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:

If this follows the path of a typical class action suit, everyone that purchased a Shimano crank will get a coupon for 10% off the purchase of a new crank, and the attorneys will get a big pile of cash.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:50 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If this follows the path of a typical class action suit, everyone that purchased a Shimano crank will get a coupon for 10% off the purchase of a new crank, and the attorneys will get a big pile of cash.
indeed. class action is the lawyer lotto.