Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2023, 02:36 PM

In terms of "liability" for a shop. Shimano published multiple videos that one needs to go through to be "trained" on how to inspect I'm guessing that absolved parties of whatever?
Old 10-07-2023, 03:01 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I just don't get the hysteria about all this. And that's not aimed at any one person here. Actual very small percentage have failed and it sounds like with warnings.
I tend to agree. Is there anyone here that didn't know these things failed?

If I thought anyone would sell at a decent price, I might be interested.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:08 PM

The training just inserts the shop in front of the customer to hold the customers hand instead of shimano. Shimano is not customer facing and that is sort of the problem. They're attempting to punt

Talking a hysterical roadie off the ledge can be interesting and a PIA in the store

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
In terms of "liability" for a shop. Shimano published multiple videos that one needs to go through to be "trained" on how to inspect I'm guessing that absolved parties of whatever?
Old 10-07-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
This is where I am. Lots of shade tree lawyers around (particularly across the hall). If you do exactly as instructed by Shimano, you’re their agent and the billion dollar company is going to attract any litigation.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
This is where I am. Lots of shade tree lawyers around (particularly across the hall). If you do exactly as instructed by Shimano, you’re their agent and the billion dollar company is going to attract any litigation.
My only concern with their whole process besides the incredible time-suck it is to take a crankset and chainrings off, inspect and fill out the S-Tec stuff is where we stand with a "good" crankset in the future.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
If you do exactly as instructed by Shimano, you’re their agent and the billion dollar company is going to attract any litigation.
That doesn't seem to be how the U.S. legal system works. Lawyers would name the shop in the suit, and the shop is not going to be able to be taken off the suit no matter how little they deserve to be a party. OTOH, if someone had one of these fail before the recall, the shop probably would have been named in the suit. Maybe because they should have known. Lawyers can be thorough. I'm guessing that most of the lawyers for riders with injuries probably knew about #thanksshimano
Old 10-08-2023, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Even a 'trained' LBS, that says 'good to go', and the crank then fails in the future does not protect the LBS.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Even a 'trained' LBS, that says 'good to go', and the crank then fails in the future does not protect the LBS.
I think there's an interesting argument to be made of how Shimano would have to accept that the bike shop employee is acting as an agent on their behalf, and also would definitely argue against that if anything were litigated.

If this were to end up in a legal battle, either side could argue that the bike shop employee likely does not have the appropriate experience and qualifications (metallurgy, material sciences, etc) to appropriately determine if the crankset is "safe" to ride.

Going through bike shops in this respect is obviously done part way for convenience, especially since like most mfg's in the industry, Shimano isn't customer facing. But I can't also help but think that part of this is aimed at shifting liability away from Shimano if a potential problem were to arise.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:35 PM

I just got an eBay listing pulled by eBay. It was a R8000 crank with no signs of delam. eBay says you can’t sell recalled products. This is problematic because this is such a soft recall most cranks will “pass” and not get replaced but you can never sell them on eBay apparently.

From eBay:

“Your listing was removed: Product safety policy

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Product safety policy. Recalled and other unsafe products aren't allowed on eBay.
What activity didn't follow the policy
This item is not permitted for sale on eBay as it is part of a manufacturer recall due to product safety concerns.
What you need to do next
The easiest way to avoid this in the future is to ensure that your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy
The following types of items aren’t allowed:

- Items recalled by the manufacturer or any government agency
- Items that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by any government agency
- Items whose sale is prohibited by law due to health and safety concerns”

and so on… the email was long.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I just got an eBay listing pulled by eBay. It was a R8000 crank with no signs of delam. eBay says you can’t sell recalled products. This is problematic because this is such a soft recall most cranks will “pass” and not get replaced but you can never sell them on eBay apparently.

From eBay:

“Your listing was removed: Product safety policy

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Product safety policy. Recalled and other unsafe products aren't allowed on eBay.
What activity didn't follow the policy
This item is not permitted for sale on eBay as it is part of a manufacturer recall due to product safety concerns.
What you need to do next
The easiest way to avoid this in the future is to ensure that your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy
The following types of items aren’t allowed:

- Items recalled by the manufacturer or any government agency
- Items that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by any government agency
- Items whose sale is prohibited by law due to health and safety concerns”

and so on… the email was long.
Wow, wonder if that will extend to complete bikes with these cranksets??
Old 10-08-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Wow, wonder if that will extend to complete bikes with these cranksets??
What's the Pros Closet doing?
Old 10-08-2023, 03:34 PM

I might be completely wrong but given that the process has evolved several times now since initially reported, does anyone feel that Shimano is deliberately slow walking this to prevent them from being inundated with cranks that they have no replacements for? If I was a shop I would send everything back.

Also I as recently able to find an 8100 Ultegra for less than the replacement outer ring would have cost new. So I went that route and will probably have the local send back both my affected cranks.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:45 PM
Randomhead

Sometimes recalls work that way. They do an initial inspection to make sure nobody is going to be injured, and then follow up with a full replacement. They aren't going to be able to replace all these cranks immediately, that's for sure. The wailing would be a lot worse if people couldn't ride their bikes. I think most people are going to get them inspected and then go back to riding.

I would say they want to have someone look at every affected crank to make sure it's not cracked. They seem to think it doesn't happen to all that many cranks, or they would have fixed it long ago. So I think they are just collecting data to see if they were right, or if the problem was being hidden from them by people just buying new cranks when the old one failed. I imagine a lot of people had them fail when they were pretty old anyway, and figured that Shimano didn't owe them anything since they got so many miles out of the crank.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-08-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:07 PM

I have been thinking about the resale issue for a while.

How could I in good faith sell a bike with these cranks? What would be my potential liability? It looks like eBay sees it as a problem for them.

I can see myself saying "well I'm sorry the buyer got hurt because I sold recalled cranks and they failed, but after watching three videos the local shop said they were ok".
Old 10-08-2023, 05:55 PM

I had a group sell on ebay just after the recall news broke. I had forgotten it was listed there. I emailed the buyer and cancelled the sale. I wasnt comfortable with potential blowback from Ebay as I know they dont protect the seller.