Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
even steel frames break, so I agree with all of this which gets back to the question of how long should we expect them to last. I was in Ithaca in the years when a local guy was famously breaking (routinely) the Campagnolo original crank with its design flaw stress riser. Did Campagnolo replace all those in the field? and you can bet that failure was more catastrophic than a peeling seam unless they caught some early cracks with regular inspection....
I broke an Avocet crank, remember those?, at the pedal eyelet many years ago. The shop just gave me a new crank.

Tim
Old 10-06-2023, 10:30 AM

Am I correct that my DA cranks are not part of the recall?

Pic attached. Looks like the serial starts with '1V' ?

EDIT - I guess maybe they are, the 'OK' across from the '165'??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c2.jpg (30.6 KB, 303 views)

Last edited by oldguy00; 10-06-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Am I correct that my DA cranks are not part of the recall?

Pic attached. Looks like the serial starts with '1V' ?

EDIT - I guess maybe they are, the 'OK' across from the '165'??
Your cranks are part of the recall as the OK production code falls within the range - so the cranks are maybe 'not OK', I guess.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:50 PM

Had an inspection and the shop says I'm good to go. However, I feel very uncomfortable riding on a product that has an outstanding recall concerning drastic consequences if it breaks. It seems odd that Shimano would take this risk, from a liability perspective. The cranks may seem good TODAY but what about a year from now? What if they are NOT ok today and the shop missed something? If these fail and I'm injured won't the shop now be liable as well? Why wouldn't the shop send them back to Shimano no matter what they find, and let Shimano declare them "ok to use" so the shop has their a$$3$ covered if something does happen? Any riding lawyers here?

Last edited by imm; 10-06-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:52 PM

Every crank that darkens my door is going to "fail". It's going back and the expectation is a new one returned after a few weeks. Unless Shimano is going to go face to face with customers, this is the only option at the dealer level. Just because a shop "inspected" it, means nothing

Any shop that does what yours is doing is just asking for trouble. Now they have to tell you it's "ok" to boot. So there's that

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm View Post
Had an inspection and the shop says I'm good to go. However, I feel very uncomfortable riding on a product that has an outstanding recall concerning drastic consequences if it breaks. It seems odd that Shimano would take this risk, from a liability perspective. The cranks may seem good TODAY but what about a year from now? What if they are NOT ok today and the shop missed something? If these fail and I'm injured won't the shop now be liable as well? Why wouldn't the shop send them back to Shimano no matter what they find, and let Shimano declare them "ok to use" so the shop has their a$$3$ covered if something does happen? Any riding lawyers here?
Old 10-06-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Every crank that darkens my door is going to "fail". It's going back and the expectation is a new one returned after a few weeks. Unless Shimano is going to go face to face with customers, this is the only option at the dealer level. Just because a shop "inspected" it, means nothing

Any shop that does what yours is doing is just asking for trouble. Now they have to tell you it's "ok" to boot. So there's that
Agreed.

The amount of liability that a shop is taking on by doing this is absurd. The cranks are either all going back or not touching any bike that has the cranks installed.

Ask the shop for their assessment in writing, make it legally binding that they're the ones assuming responsibility for the cranks when they inevitably fail.

Last edited by mjf; 10-07-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm View Post
May seem 'odd' but not surprising. Very 'corporate' of them.
The above is the essence of how gooned up this 'recall' is. A one time inspection , by the bike shop OR shimano, doesn't eliminate the possibility that these won't fail in the future. Replacement of all 670,000 cranks is the proper course but.....
Old 10-07-2023, 06:53 AM

I am concerned about this too. Mine is going in for inspection on Tuesday. It is a smaller shop that has only inspected one other crankset so far. I'm not really confident they will say it needs to be replaced.....yet I don't feel safe riding it now.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:11 AM

Not my monkey or circus, but for the price of a new crankset vs potential future medical bills I’d swap out any recalled crankset. Lots of nice alternatives to Shimano out there.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Not my monkey or circus, but for the price of a new crankset vs potential future medical bills I’d swap out any recalled crankset. Lots of nice alternatives to Shimano out there.
If the shop doesn't offer to replace it, I'll be tossing it anyway, not worth the risk. I still very much like Shimano and will buy a new DA crankset in that case.

And, that said, I've gotten several years use out of the crankset, so its not like I feel -completely- ripped off. I was actually considering replacing it anyway as its pretty scratched up from heel rub and a couple of chain drops, and its resale value would have been pretty darn low.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I just don't get the hysteria about all this. And that's not aimed at any one person here. Actual very small percentage have failed and it sounds like with warnings.

I'd say the odds are better I blow a clincher off a rim on a descent than they are one of these cranks I have fail. I'm not concerned about still riding clinchers so why should I worry unnecessarily about the crank?

I'm not a Shimano fan boy and I do think since they've acknowledged the issue a full replacement of all is due if only as a good faith measure. But I'm not changing any of my normal bike check habits or stopping to ride the one recalled one I have. Heck, I've got more of these not recalled, do we really think there's a difference?

The talk of these cranks failing have been going on for years yet we kept buying and riding them. Stuff breaks, people get hurt, life goes on. Heck figuring the number of times I've been hit/wrecked while road biking even those percentages are higher. Not going to stop riding either. I just don't get all these pages of angst. Maybe I'm just oblivious and naive but if so, I'll stay that way. Life's too short to worry about every little thing. So I'll keep living it on the edge and hammering away on all my bikes, woo hoo!!!
Old 10-07-2023, 07:37 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
If the shop doesn't offer to replace it, I'll be tossing it anyway, not worth the risk. I still very much like Shimano and will buy a new DA crankset in that case.

And, that said, I've gotten several years use out of the crankset, so its not like I feel -completely- ripped off. I was actually considering replacing it anyway as its pretty scratched up from heel rub and a couple of chain drops, and its resale value would have been pretty darn low.
I get that but some of us have multiple sets. I have three and I don't really feel like buying three new DA cranksets. As I said, I'd be open to a pro-deal at a subsidized cost but even at half price that isn't exactly cheap. And when they replaced my friend's broken 9000 crankset a year ago they also said he needed a new FD for the 9100 crankset. Shimano provided both but it would add to the cost if I were replacing them myself.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:18 AM

I still have the pieces to my power meter which basically sheared while riding 2 years ago. At the time shimano would not warranty it (I’m not the original owner as well). Anyone know if I can still bring this in to get it warranties? It was a non drive da9000 power meter from stages.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:39 PM

It’s raining on and off outside……..all of my bikes have rim brakes and Shimano cranks.

Should I risk it?
Old 10-07-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
I still have the pieces to my power meter which basically sheared while riding 2 years ago. At the time shimano would not warranty it (I’m not the original owner as well). Anyone know if I can still bring this in to get it warranties? It was a non drive da9000 power meter from stages.
If the crank has an effected manufacturing code, definitely yes.