Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 11:01 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Can the Peg have mechanical shifting at least?
Oh yes, mandatory. Wouldn't want to be too dependent on batteries; consider it the new improved Porsche hybrid
Old 01-30-2023, 07:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Shouldn't you be comparing a Honda Civic to a Model 3, not an Accord?
These comparisons are like comparing one highest end anything to another but size wise, the Civic is more like the Model 3. BUT..doesn't matter...EVs are heavier, eat up tires faster and have a lot of 'warts' when compared to say a Honda Accord Hybrid.
Quote:
My long distance trips to SLO to visit my daughter in college has a round trip of about 450 miles and it cost me like $37-38. Yes, I do stop off 2 or 3 times to charge,
Hmm, driving round trip to my wife's mother's house, Holly, Colorado...550 mile round trip and I'd have to stop 2 or 3 times to get gas(?)...and 'getting gas' takes how long in an EV? PLUS no charging except for Lamar...No thanks.

IF EV works for ya, groovy but it's no answer for most people.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-30-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:23 AM

I hate to keep bumping my own thread--but this Washington Post article points to what I've found -- a number of manufacturers have dropped their lowest-price models, and that together with the ongoing effects of COVID/supply chain disruption/inflation, this has really pushed up the prices of EVs. [Gift article, no paywall]

Also, from visiting a lot of dealer web pages (after getting leads from Cars.com and elsewhere)--there doesn't seem to be very many EV cars on the lots, ready to drive away--and those that are there are certainly not the base models (if they are still available at all). While the economist in me recognizes that these car manufacturers are profit-making enterprises, and that pricing up the curve is a rational response to short supply--it looks pretty clear to me that we won't be purchasing an EV anytime soon. The article does point out that GM claims that they have lower cost models in the pipeline, and the Model 3 prices recently dropped so we may well be in the long tail of the post-Covid supply chain disruption, but I think it would be prudent to wait and see what shakes out.

(And for an FYI--while every 2022 hybrid Pacifica advertised I found -- like robt57 's -- are vaporware, I did find a CA dealer who has a bunch of the 2022 gasser versions on clearance--for about $20k LESS than the new base 2023 Pacifica hybrid (if you could find one)--you'd have to do a lot of miles to make up a difference like that, even after the Fed rebate...)

https://wapo.st/3RgP2Fy

Last edited by paredown; 01-30-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:47 AM

At this point i'd consider a Hybrid but no way I could make an EV work as a one vehicle solution for our family
Old 01-30-2023, 11:11 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
At this point i'd consider a Hybrid but no way I could make an EV work as a one vehicle solution for our family
Then PHEV for you... We have a Bolt and PHEV Pacifica, when wife retires the Bolt goes when we become a one car family. The dog, bike, homdespot hauler PHEV Van stays.

Yesterdays 60+ mile local jaunt with more ICE running that usual I ended @ home 42.7 MPG. That is the low end, and better than the Honda Fit the Bolt replaced.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:55 AM

I have a PHEV (Subaru Crosstrek) and LOVED it when I worked close to my house (about 8 miles). Was able to stay on electric most of the time. Now I'm 60 miles from work and it's consumption is very meh. I usually get right at 39 mpg and it's got a teeny gas tank (11 gallons) to make room for the battery.

I should add that the battery also throws off the cargo capacity--there's a big drop-off from the trunk part to the folded down back seats. It's fine for a bike (without the front wheel), but isn't very stable for larger items. (My 2010 GTI had a better hatchback set-up for cargo).

I'm going back to full electric later this year--getting a BMW i4 and used to have a very early Tesla Model S. PHEV's are great if you can sort the use case, but often the gas cars do better if you do a lot of highway driving. (cf. BMW 330e v 330i)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
These comparisons are like comparing one highest end anything to another but size wise, the Civic is more like the Model 3. BUT..doesn't matter...EVs are heavier, eat up tires faster and have a lot of 'warts' when compared to say a Honda Accord Hybrid.

Hmm, driving round trip to my wife's mother's house, Holly, Colorado...550 mile round trip and I'd have to stop 2 or 3 times to get gas(?)...and 'getting gas' takes how long in an EV? PLUS no charging except for Lamar...No thanks.

Unfortunately, CARB states are saying that in 2035, you can't buy a new car unless it's a full EV.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:09 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Fify

Nope. Software would (ok, *should*) in fact prevent much of the Tesla idiocy that I encounter. Random recent example: guy driving on the wrong side of a divided road (who flipped me off when I gave him a “WTH?” gesture)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The Tesla trip advisor indicates one 5-minute charge in Limon to make the trip from Boulder to Holly in a Model 3. You'd have to fully charge before making the return trip, of course, and that would take a lot more than 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotato
I think it's more accurate to say EV works for most people, but not all people. Regardless, there will always be some situations that aren't served by EVs.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
The Tesla trip advisor indicates one 5-minute charge in Limon to make the trip from Boulder to Holly in a Model 3. You'd have to fully charge before making the return trip, of course, and that would take a lot more than 5 minutes.

I think it's more accurate to say EV works for most people, but not all people. Regardless, there will always be some situations that aren't served by EVs.
Agree. My stops are mainly because I need to use the bathroom (read - old guy), so when I stop off, I charge up - 15 minutes max. When I reach my destination, I need about 1/2 hour, so I get lunch.

But I agree, EVs are not for everyone. You do need a little patience. For around the Bay Area (50 mile radius), It's all good as you can charge at home at night. But if you need to find a charger, Tesla is the best as their chargers are everywhere as they always put in at least 10+ chargers per site, and they all work!

Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2023, 02:26 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
(And for an FYI--while every 2022 hybrid Pacifica advertised I found -- like robt57 's -- are vaporware, I did find a CA dealer who has a bunch of the 2022 gasser versions on clearance--for about $20k LESS than the new base 2023 Pacifica hybrid (if you could find one)--you'd have to do a lot of miles to make up a difference like that, even after the Fed rebate...)
I didn't even need a new car, was driving a 25k mile 2017 CRV/AWD. And a clean one with no hits, not had one of those for last 4 cars. Wife's Fit got hit at 736 miles and again at 17k miles. Should called it a Hit instead of a Fit. Any it was red, so easy target not to miss apparently.

Pretty sure at least the PHEV Van still gets full 7500 tax credit. It is a little sad that families that could really benefit from the cost may not overall pay enough taxes to get the whole 7500.00

Oregon does have other DEQ rebates for lower income folk beyond the flat 2500.00 [we got that on both PHEV and EV] whom may not be able to fully benefit from the 7500 due to lower tax liability etc. Other state may as well. But IIRC there is another 2500.00 on top of the flat 2500 DEQ/OR

Last edited by robt57; 01-30-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
snipped s lot…

Its more accurate to say that depending on what bubble you inhabit, it works for most people.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Its more accurate to say that depending on what bubble you inhabit, it works for most people.
Statistics on how people use their cars support the notion that EVs will work for most people.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Statistics on how people use their cars support the notion that EVs will work for most people.
Really, it’s about home parking and home charging. Being reliant upon offsite charging would be a deal breaker for me but I have a garage and was able to get a wall connector installed.

I’m taking a 1000 mile road trip in a few weeks. Curious how it’ll go.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Really, it’s about home parking and home charging. Being reliant upon offsite charging would be a deal breaker for me but I have a garage and was able to get a wall connector installed.

I’m taking a 1000 mile road trip in a few weeks. Curious how it’ll go.
Are you able to find hotels/motels with L2 chargers? That's a rarity, in my experience.