Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Did you think the officiating favored OKC in the previous series? Because I don't. What I think actually happened is that two teams, first the Thunder and then the Cavs (who very likely learned from the Thunder's success), decided to play aggressive, off-the-ball defense on Curry, chipping him constantly. Those calls aren't usually made in the playoffs, when officials typically allow more physical play.

Regardless, it's nearly impossible to officiate an NBA game. The players are too big and too fast, and they're constantly making contact with one another. Also, it's worth considering that the refs could blow the whistle EVERY SINGLE TIME LeBron goes to the basket.

All of which is to say, I think the officiating sucked. It always sucks. But I don't think it favored one team over the other.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Everything is connected

I still think it odd that LeBron et al essentially use the same court, ball and rim height as a 5th grader. Oh, and throw out the rules that you learned in youth league ball. Why have refs in the NBA?

Think about it; baseball, football, hockey, golf, soccer...all use progressively larger playing fields, equipment and number of teammates as kids advance in skills and size. That's where pro basketball is lost on many.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Bogut might have played great last night, and then Green not.
Yeah, I just meant that had Bogut been there instead of Ezili, those 2 or 3 biffs would've been 4 or 6 points, and then at least we're into overtime if not celebration mode.

But you're right, nobody on the GS squad seemed capable of sustaining any momentum from game to game. If I hadn't seen them play earlier in the playoffs I would've been wondering how such an inconsistent squad made it to the Finals.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 06-20-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Easyrider

nba

I was raised in the Bay Area,,,and I am glad that Cav beat Warriors,,because Warrior's behavior on the court sucks!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Also, it's worth considering that the refs could blow the whistle EVERY SINGLE TIME LeBron goes to the basket.
Not sure if you mean because someone on the opposing team always makes contact, or because LeBron always travels...
Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-27-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookietom View Post
I was raised in the Bay Area,,,and I am glad that Cav beat Warriors,,because Warrior's behavior on the court sucks!
why in the hell do you say that? excuse me,,, why do you,, say that?
Old 06-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Windrider

It's interesting, reading the various opinions about what happened. IMO (and I have no dog in this fight), I think the following was important:

- Style of play and the finals. The NBA almost always let's the players play in the finals, allowing much more physical play. The Warriors style of play, and especially Curry's, does not execute well when the play is physical. It's why Curry wasn't the best player on his own team two years in a row.

- The OKC series coupled with the chase for 73 put the warriors in a situation where their legs were gone by the end of the finals. Jump-shooters rely on their legs. Don't look for them to chase 73 again next year.

- The rest of Curry's game is exposed when he isn't shooting well. He is weak defensively and he makes terrible decisions on his passing. This was apparent in the last 3 games. People are being pretty gentle criticizing him but this is the second year in a row where he came up small in the finals.

- You still need an inside game in the finals. Losing Bogut was too big to overcome. Frankly, the Cavs played better last year without Love and Irving than the Warriors played this year without Bogut...what does that tell you? An inside presence has to be a priority in the off-season.

- LeBron may do more with less than any player in NBA history. When he comes to play, he is unstoppable. It's also amazing that he can put as many games in his legs as he has and still come up really big in a game 7 (6 straight finals + the Olympics)

- I thought OKC lost the conference championships more than the Warriors won. They choked. The end of game 6 was clearly a disorganized choke.

- Warriors fans can complain about Bogut not being healthy, but they could be looking at an 0 for 2 in the finals if Cleveland had been healthy last year.

- Pissing LeBron off may not be the best strategy if you want to win.

- Irving is really growing as a player. His defense on Curry coupled with his clutch shot-making is a good sign for Cavs fans.

I wish the first 6 games were as entertaining as game 7.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 PM

The Warriors struggled greatly in game 7. They looked better than they did in 5 and 6 but still.

I think if Draymond Green had been playing in game 5 they wouldve won.
But with the physical and athletic style ball Cleveland plays it really wiped them out starting in game 5 and continuing to 6 and 7.

Lebron James is just way too physical and his fitness is amazing. He never looked tired even though he was bumping and grinding to get every basket.

Cleveland played fantastic--down 3-1 is a tough place to be and they chose wisely in grinding down the warriors. The loss of andrew bogut helped them sure, but in the end the physicality of the Cavs is what allowed them to win the series.

Dissappointing for me because I'm a Warrior fan but the game wasn't given to Cleveland they certainly had to earn it so I have to give them their respect.

That being said--this opens up a lot of discussion on where the Warriors can improve and also gives the GM a little more thought in how hard he should pursue bringing the Slim Reaper to the Town.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Re: Kevin Durant to GSW

How many superstars on one team does it take these days to win an NBA championship?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Re: Kevin Durant to GSW

How many superstars on one team does it take these days to win an NBA championship?
2? I dont know.

I wouldn't call anyone on the Warriors a superstar besides Curry.
Green is great but hes not a superstar and neither is Klay Thompson.

What I see is an opportunity for an aging player to grab a ring and play on a bigger market team which I'm sure the NBA and all business entities related to it will love.

Personally, I love KD. After the "you're the real MVP" speech its hard to not like the guy.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:45 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
That being said--this opens up a lot of discussion on where the Warriors can improve and also gives the GM a little more thought in how hard he should pursue bringing the Slim Reaper to the Town.
It's a very valid and interesting question: What/who should Warriors add? Even if Durant would ever consider coming, not sure he's what they most need. My two cents would be rebounding (especially offensive; can any remember any second chance points GSW got???), rim protection and nasty physicality. They saw someone like that at OKC, Steven Adams. They need a Charles Oakley-type who can jump. I can see a rematch next year in the Finals. Someone needs to be able to punish LBJ when he drives the lane. Warriors need a McNasty.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
It's a very valid and interesting question: What/who should Warriors add? Even if Durant would ever consider coming, not sure he's what they most need. My two cents would be rebounding (especially offensive; can any remember any second chance points GSW got???), rim protection and nasty physicality. They saw someone like that at OKC, Steven Adams. They need a Charles Oakley-type who can jump. I can see a rematch next year in the Finals. Someone needs to be able to punish LBJ when he drives the lane. Warriors need a McNasty.
exactly what they need.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM

I suspect the Warriors will play for the division in the regular season next year and that's it. They'll win, I don't know, maybe 62-66 games and Curry will get a LOT of rest. And then they'll beat the Cavs in the Finals -- unless LeBron leaves again, in which case the Cavs might not even make the playoffs.

Put another way, given that the Warriors were a Draymond Green suspension away from winning the championship in five games, and then a shot here or there away from winning the championship in seven games, I'm not sure they need to change much. But sure, if they get KD, they'll be better.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Not sure if you mean because someone on the opposing team always makes contact, or because LeBron always travels...
He gets fouled, he commits a foul, he travels, etc. That's exactly my point: how in the world is it possible to officiate when someone as long and strong as Iggy is defending as physical an offensive player as LeBron? Answer: it's not.