Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Randy! I really liked that race series.
Yeah. Fun to watch before the big event! "stock" class ...sorta ;-)
Old 06-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoguzzi1 View Post
Close to Wyalusing State Park. The bike is a Honda Africa Twin.
Nice bike! I owned its predecessor, the 650 Transalp. Tall, loose-jointed and easy to ride anywhere.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoner View Post
Always preferred the lines of the lambretta! Wanna trade;-)
Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
Turn 1 at Portland International Raceway.
Tip in about 80mph

Suzuki SV-650
Gen2

WoooHooo!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
WoooHooo!
'sup, Pete
Old 06-18-2021, 06:22 PM

93 Wing

55000 miles, runs great. Need to replace timing belts though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D901863B-FE54-468A-8BCB-6A9694346B35.jpg (102.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 1D065375-014F-4F73-9179-1DB62ABAA79A.jpg (103.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:03 PM

Nice Jet 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoner View Post
Old 06-18-2021, 08:52 PM

1975 Honda CB400F here, photo Konica Autoreflex & Kodak Porta

Old 06-19-2021, 06:03 AM

This is my favorite thread!

SPP
Old 06-19-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
This is my favorite thread!

SPP
Agreed, lots of really nice bikes.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Love/hate thread..Started with Motorcycles when I was 14(less than 6hp, legal in Colorado..'motor'scooter')..but owned something motorcycle for the next 22 years...Even drove one while I lived in Japan..

BUT..sold the last one(Triumph Tiger...1986 or so) and none since. When I see a Ducati(or another really cool Euro M/C)..I point it out to wife, 'no', she says..oh well.

Watching some YT videos has me convinced a M/C probably not in the cards..maybe a airplane(partial ownership)..about the same $.... "Wee" bit more expensive for insurance/maintenance.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:23 AM

My motorcycle story goes like this...

As a kid, I loved them, my dad HATED them. Wanted a mini-bike so bad, did somehow manage to get a couple (Rupp, Honda Z50). Bought a messed up dual sport at 16, licensed to drive a car but not a MC, got hit by a car on the way to Oakland Beach in Rye, NY. Broken collarbone. Dad says "I told you so."

Age 21, married with one year left in college, sold car with the idea that I would commute an hour each way to school from Norwalk, CT to Pleasantville, NY. Sucked bad. Took all the fun out of it, riding in rain, then it got cold by December and I sold it to a guy from Manhattan (writer for David Letterman show). KZ650...scored four tickets to the show besides some cash.

Next bike around age 24, 1972 BMW R75/5. Paid $1,000 from a guy with the same name as me. DMV loved that. Had that bike for a few years, living in Ridgefield, CT...used to love going to Marcus Dairy on Sundays. Had twins, then no more time to ride, besides the fact that at that point only one person employed. Money so tight I couldnt even afford the $100/year for insurance. Sold it to a friend for same $1,000 I paid for it.

By the time twins were two or three years old, I wanted a bike again. Ex-wife and I weren't getting along too well at that point. She said no way can I have another motorcycle being a father. I almost bought a BMW R1100S (or something like that) without getting approval. was like $15k. Glad I didn't do it.

Fast forward to last summer, just retired and moved to Columbia County, NY. Really wanted to get a small, low maintenance dual-sport (Like KLR250), but they were basically unavailable anywhere. Then, outta nowhere, I see forum member and biking bud Adam Paiva posts his "84 BMW on Instagram. I had no idea about the R80ST and its status as a rare and desirable bike. He fills me in. I drive over, take it for a short ride, and write him a check.

But the key here is where I live. I am able to ride for pleasure only, on roads with little traffic to interact with. Back when I used to do that commute to college, it was all highway in traffic, and I didn't bat an eye about it. Now I really am much more aware and cautious of cars and vehicles around me. In fact, I thought about riding up to see some friends race do the Tour of the Battenkill this morning, but the ride up is about an hour and a half and is basically all on the interstate, so I decided against it.

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 06-19-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
My motorcycle story goes like this...

SPP
I imagine a good bit of common ground in motorcycle stories...

Mine goes like this:
Lusted for a bike as a day-dream to make it through upstate NY winter and the grind of College. Bought a bike late-winter of sophomore year and did a month-long cross-country adventure that summer.
Despite the age, I was aware enough that I was taking foolish risks in how I operated it, relatively speaking, and I pushed hard enough on the ride home on that trip (3 days of 20+ hour rides) that I was ready to be done.

That "ready to be done" didn't last long thereafter, but married at that point and didn't seem safe/smart. 10+ years later and 3 years into parenthood my wife surprises me as I pull in after work (she stayed home at that time) and we drove over to the BMW shop and picked the one I wanted (she had made all the financial arrangements....she also made some clear threats about what she would do if something tragic happened ~ we started dating the summer of the road trip, so she had some inkling of some of my more foolish moments).

LOVED it, but didn't ride nearly as much as I had imagined I would. Riding in bad weather has NO appeal to me (rain = hours of cleaning and cold = distracting pain in my hands). As our son reached driving-age and annual miles became less and less, I flipped the bike and reallocated the funds for something he would use, too (e46 sedan).

Day of sale was super-hard, but haven't really missed it (convertible scratches the itch in some ways ~~ not AS fun, but my wife never liked riding the moto and I enjoy having her with me).

This thread makes me want one again, but the reality is I only want it for leisurely/decadent rides with minimum traffic and....

Interesting, to me, how family-life changes interests and how safety/fun relationships evolve.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Always preferred the lines of the Lambretta! Wanna trade;-)
Not sure I would be able to handle your bike. I would need to buy some Depends first for when I soil myself.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Shrimp123

oooh... my.... that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
1975 Honda CB400F here, photo Konica Autoreflex & Kodak Porta