Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2024, 07:18 AM
50 bpm

In this country a hefty fine structure might well disproportionately disadvantage lower-income people, but when you weigh the cost against human life, sorry, you've lost my sympathy.

In Peru and Colombia, if you kill someone while driving intoxicated, it's mandatory prison (sentences vary) and you lose your license permanently.

Of course, in this (and, to be fair, any) country losing one's license does not mean one does no longer drive. People find away around that. But the technology exists to prevent anyone who blows .08 (or .05 in Utah) from starting their vehicle, as it exists to shut down smart-phone texting, e-mailing and web-surfing functions while driving.

Where there's a will, there's a way. We have no will, so no way.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

Of course, in this (and, to be fair, any) country losing one's license does not mean one does no longer drive. People find away around that. But the technology exists to prevent anyone who blows .08 (or .05 in Utah) from starting their vehicle, as it exists to shut down smart-phone texting, e-mailing and web-surfing functions while driving.

So true, Utah does like zero enforcement of DUI laws it seems. Literally every week another repeat offender seems to kill someone. I even sat in court once for awhile (my kid was in trouble) and watched offender after offender get off with a slap on the wrist.

It's made evern worse here now but these stupid new crossing traffic intersections some UDOT genius has implemented. We seem to get way more wrong way drunk drivers on the highways now than we used to. These intersections will confuse you if you're sober....
Old 09-02-2024, 07:56 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I'm sure the drunk gal who passed me the other night, driving the wrong way on the highway, and later killed someone else, had driven drunk countless times before, and possibly even been stopped.

"According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the average drunk driver has driven drunk more than 80 times before their first arrest."

This is a very likely statistic based on people I have known.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
So true, Utah does like zero enforcement of DUI laws it seems. Literally every week another repeat offender seems to kill someone. I even sat in court once for awhile (my kid was in trouble) and watched offender after offender get off with a slap on the wrist.
I read all the time here in Wis of people being popped for their 3rd, 4th, 5th... DUI.

A good friend of mine that's a judge says more than 85% of his case load is drug/alcohol related - either DUI or a crime committed to support a drug habit.

85%!!!
Old 09-02-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
"According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the average drunk driver has driven drunk more than 80 times before their first arrest."

This is a very likely statistic based on people I have known.
Curious how many make the right choice after the first one to not drive impaired again.

SPP
Old 09-02-2024, 09:27 AM

Studying for my driving test in Spain, there was a question about the alcohol limit for a school bus driver. The whole test was designed to trick or fail you but I was offended that the answer was anything but zero.

A friend in Oslo described Norway's laws as something like taking 10% of your annual salary for a DUI. It might have even been more drastic but the country's aggressive policy as a deterrent absolutely works.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:03 AM

ALL drunk driving in the US should cause the creature to be charged with attempted murder, no plea deals, regardless of whether there has been an accident or not. If proved over the .08 limit, then conviction is mandatory, and the penalty is the maximum for third degree murder - no less. For accident cases, especially when a death is involved, the death penalty must be invoked. Yes, I'll gladly pay more taxes to house/off them.

ALL pedestrian/bike accidents where the auto driver is guilty should also follow the above.

There will be no relief without some serious nut cuttin'.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Lived in Japan for 3 years and the OP's post is all well and good. BUT, Japan has an extensive and quite excellent bus, taxi, TRAIN, people mover/public transit system all over Japan.

I get off work and walk to the Pearl St mall, 3 blocks..and proceed to get blasted. Bars close at 2am...I live 5 miles away..How to get home? Uber? Maybe, Taxi? probably not. Bus? nope, Train? pretty funny...so...

It takes 3 DUIs to even be considered an into jail felony.
That brings up an interesting defense argument againts a DUI conviction - "Your Honor, I was forced to drive drunk, because this country didn't provide me with an adequate public transit infrastructure.''

The above might sound like a joke, but there are many, many cases were people who are convicted of driving offenses don't have their license suspended or revoked because they argue that not being able to drive would impose an undue hardship on them. In the US, driving is treated as more of a right than a privilege.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Even if someone is not allowed to own or register a car after they've had their license revoked, it is easy enough to drive a car that is owned/registered under a relative's name.

A friend of mine was struck by an unlicensed driver. Fortunately, her injuries were minor, but her expensive bicycle was destroyed. The driver was driving a car owned, registered and insured by his wife. Because the driver was not listed as a driver of the car, the insurance company refused to pay for the damages. And the driver himself had no assets, so a lawsuit against directly against the driver was impractical. The driver was still charged with driving without a license, but ended up with basically a slap on the wrist.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Yep.

American policy and the American legal system are not looking out for Americans.

And a not insignificant # of Americans aren't looking out for anyone other than themselves either.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:28 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Even if someone is not allowed to own or register a car after they've had their license revoked, it is easy enough to drive a car that is owned/registered under a relative's name.

A friend of mine was struck by an unlicensed driver. Fortunately, her injuries were minor, but her expensive bicycle was destroyed. The driver was driving a car owned, registered and insured by his wife. Because the driver was not listed as a driver of the car, the insurance company refused to pay for the damages. And the driver himself had no assets, so a lawsuit against directly against the driver was impractical. The driver was still charged with driving without a license, but ended up with basically a slap on the wrist.
Yep. A bad driver ran a red, clipped another car, and hit my parked truck years ago. The car was registered to his girlfriend and her insurance co tried to refuse payment. My question was, did she file a stolen car report? If not it seems reasonable that she permitted him to drive on her insurance. My insurance co went after hers and I was compensated without a rate raise. My guess is his driving privileges were hardly affected by this.
Old 09-02-2024, 03:16 PM
#RYFB

As discussed extensively in another thread, laws are meaningless without enforcement. I infer from the comments of those who have experience living in Japan that traffic enforcement is taken much more seriously than it is here. I'd like to see harsher penalties here for drunk driving and other serious violations, but I'd gladly settle for a concerted effort to enforce the laws already on the books.
Old 09-02-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Lived in Japan for 3 years and the OP's post is all well and good. BUT, Japan has an extensive and quite excellent bus, taxi, TRAIN, people mover/public transit system all over Japan.
Don’t forget, the excellent Daiko Service where a two person team in a single Taxi will get you and your car, back home, safe & sound.
(Okinawa 2008-2013)
Old 09-02-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
I read all the time here in Wis of people being popped for their 3rd, 4th, 5th... DUI.

A good friend of mine that's a judge says more than 85% of his case load is drug/alcohol related - either DUI or a crime committed to support a drug habit.

85%!!!
In my line of work, I have met alcoholics with blood alcohol levels of >0.2 and they seem almost completely normal in an interview. Always found that shocking. I am not surprised that most people caught with a DUI have done it 50+ times before.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:16 PM

I feel that when you take away someone's license, you should also take away their car too. Otherwise, they just drive without a license. Make drunk driving REALLY hurt. The same should go for instances where drivers absolutely ignore traffic law. There is a huge difference between driving a few miles above the speed limit and street racing, or passing a red light many seconds after it's red.