Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2024, 12:51 PM

We did an extended winter stay at Siesta Key in 2022. Loved it.

Old 08-28-2024, 05:39 PM

I’m a native of Florida, so were my parents.

As said before, Clarmount is the best road riding. But there is a strip of hills down the middle of the state similar. From Tallahassee down through Gainesville, and Ocala and Clermount.but none are near the Ocean.

If you are trying to get closer to the beach, bring big gears. It’s flat and fast
Old 08-28-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Spent two weeks in Tarpon Springs last March and rode the Pinellas trail.
Great trail. Do you think short term rental housing would be cheaper in Tarpon Springs?
Honestly not sure. I would imagine it would be cheaper but prices get a little wild during tourist season. With that said, Dunedin is right down the street to the south and would also be a great place to spend the winter.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I’m a native of Florida, so were my parents.

As said before, Clarmount is the best road riding. But there is a strip of hills down the middle of the state similar. From Tallahassee down through Gainesville, and Ocala and Clermount.but none are near the Ocean.

If you are trying to get closer to the beach, bring big gears. It’s flat and fast
Clermont is still great riding but it’s been developed beyond belief. Increased traffic out there has become very dangerous on roads with no shoulders or bike lanes. Developers keep developing and they do everything not to improve infrastructure. IMO Dade City/ San Antonio riding is just as good as Clermont and there’s even some gravel left that hasn’t been paved over yet. Yet.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:12 PM

Sending you PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Spent two weeks in Tarpon Springs last March and rode the Pinellas trail.
Great trail. Do you think short term rental housing would be cheaper in Tarpon Springs?

I live in Tarpon Springs. You're right about the Pinellas Trail, I do virtually all of my solo riding on it now. If you're looking for less expensive housing, look east of HWY 19.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:26 AM

I used to go to Florida. Now I go to Spain.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
We've stayed at an excellent boutique hotel in Delray Beach. One block from the ocean. Most times I rented a road bike from a nearby bike shop. Riding up/down A1A I met several pro triathletes from the UK and fast recreational riders from Canada. Definitely bring big gears but also be prepared for wind, especially when going by taller condo buildings.

It gets a bit boring riding the same road but that far south, it's still warm should a deep freeze creep down.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:33 PM

I've lived in The Longwood Lake Mary area NE of Orlando for almost 60 years. To me....for the kind of riding this old man does (don't ride with vehicles).....the best riding is probably out of my driveway. Where I can access wide smooth trails down the street. The 250 mile cross Florida Trail or can ride the trail over to Titusville, to New Smyrna Bch, To Mt Dora, to Deland, etc. And these trails are expanding every year. The trail over to Winter Garden and Clermont (and the hills) is not yet complete from my house. But is complete from Apopka.

When I go to the E Coast Beaches....don't take a bike. Just ride the rusty hotel cruisers around like a tourist. Too much traffic for me. On West Coast, the Pinellas Trail is usually close enough to ride easily. And Sarasota area (and Lakewood Ranch) has some nice trails. One I like goes down to Venice (Legacy Trail). I do take a bike to Sanibel Island. Can get in a good ride in AM before family duties. Usually stay on Sanibel and ride up to Captiva and back. Don't know Island Road conditions since last storm.

Plenty of good safe riding in Florida. It may just not be the kind you prefer.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-29-2024 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:17 PM

A lot of good advice on this thread. Mt Dora is fun, but just for riding, if I had to pick one ares, I’d pick Ocala.

I don’t know much of the panhandle, so I would call Bicycle House In Tallahassee. Scott Benton owns and runs it. Ex pro. All round SUPER guy and unusual bike op. And knows that area well, and probably the rest of the state as well. Some pretty country out that way
Old 08-31-2024, 07:17 AM

Florida

Thank you all for your suggestions. Sounds like a mixed bag of areas that may have some safe road/gravel riding and be close to a beach an d other amenities. I'll check suggested areas out on a map and hope to visit some to access how they fit my needs.
Not sure Florida is the best choice for me, we'll see...thanks again!
quattro
Old 08-31-2024, 10:42 AM

Tallahassee is a super underrated cycling city. Tons of gravel within the city limits. The tally tango is a cool route. So is the spaghetti 100.

Sarasota is my rec if you want a more stereotypical fl experience. South fl culture/beauty at a slower pace than miami.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:21 AM

Best Florida cities for winter cycling are Tucson or San Diego.

Seriously though, I hope your three months stuck in Florida is the result of some employment arrangement for which you are being lucratively compensated.