Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2024, 11:57 PM

Okay so admittedly not quite JRA. We’d just passed 1000m of singletrack climbing, almost 3 hours into a pretty epic (planned) day in Pemberton, BC, when this happened:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.jpg (114.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 08-21-2024, 12:42 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
Okay so admittedly not quite JRA. We’d just passed 1000m of singletrack climbing, almost 3 hours into a pretty epic (planned) day in Pemberton, BC, when this happened:
Dude, you can't just leave us hanging like that - how'd you get home?

Also, how many miles / years did that hub have on it?
Old 08-21-2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Dude, you can't just leave us hanging like that - how'd you get home?

Also, how many miles / years did that hub have on it?
Ah sorry

This happened just last weekend. I pulled off my chain and coasted down the fireroad to the car - carefully. Amazingly the wheel made it all the was down intact.

I don’t know how much mileage the hub had on it. I bought the wheel off a guy only a couple of weeks ago. He’d smashed a rim and had the wheel rebuilt under warranty. I myself had just smashed a wheel casing a step down a few weeks previous. I also just rebuilt the wheel on my commuter after finding the rim full of cracks. It’s been a weird summer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74373333420__97201686-BEEF-4067-83EA-7960B3F395CC.jpg (154.3 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (86.0 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by boomforeal; 08-21-2024 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:25 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Good thing the road back to the car was downhill!
Old 08-21-2024, 01:32 AM

I’m not sure if a racing incident can ever qualify as JRA but this was close…

Forty-odd years ago I was racing a team time trial as part of a schoolboy team of five (four to count at the finish). These TTTs were almost weekly over a flat ten mile course. Anyway, with a mile or two to go we caught the team ahead, which was from a neighbouring rival school. We passed them on the right (in New Zealand we drive, ride and race on the left) without incident, thinking little of it beyond the fleeting satisfaction of the catch, and pressed on towards the finish.

Minutes later, the ragged remains of the rival team, just three riders and thus too few to count, presumably battling to save their honour, attempted to overtake us on the left for no good reason. Not quite Cavendish v. Sagan against the barriers, but the lack of room and sudden unexpected distraction caused me to hit the wheel in front and fall at 45 degrees lean to the left. However, before hitting the ground I hit the biggest and strongest rider of the undertaking team, righting myself and knocking him to the ground. Hard.

We went on to finish in the minor placings. I didn’t wait around to find out whether the whole slightly bizarre episode would be remanufactured into my fault and the bigger, broken rider would seek revenge…
Old 08-21-2024, 02:12 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
I didn’t wait around to find out whether the whole slightly bizarre episode would be remanufactured into my fault and the bigger, broken rider would seek revenge…
And he's been trying to find you ever since...
Old 08-21-2024, 07:48 AM
Pack fill

I had a small Yippy dog run out in front of me once from behind a hedgerow. No time to react so I rolled over him. When I looked back he was running back to where he came from. I kept going and never looked back.

Last edited by johnniecakes; 08-21-2024 at 07:48 AM. Reason: autocorrect error
Old 08-21-2024, 07:51 AM
Older Than You

Through many years of riding I've picked up 2 cell phones, 3 billfolds, misc. small tools and money. Mostly small change but occasionally I'll find a dollar bill.

Riding home one day I turned on to a street I hadn't been on in years. I ride past what looks like a bill of some denomination. I turned around and picked up a $100.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:59 AM

have had various small animals run into my wheels, had a larger animal run between my wheels which was bizarre I didn't go down, found a wallet and money strewn along both shoulders of the road that I picked it up and rode it back to the owner's house, stumbled upon a BJ that was in process (that was awkward and I rode away as fast as I could), and had a dog run into me b/c the owner was busy looking at her cell phone (this is becoming a real issue on MUTs as of late - i.e. distracted walkers paying no attention to anything but thier phone w/ and w/o dogs on leashes).
Old 08-21-2024, 07:59 AM

Nothing too crazy.

A few years ago, on a 5-day bikepacking trip in the Shenandoah Valley, RJ and I were cresting a hill on a rural road. It was rural, but not "banjos in the woods" rural - just a normal country road with normal homes dotted along it.

Anyway, as we crest the hill, there's a donkey just chilling in somebody's front yard. It brayed loudly as we passed and we both about fell off our bikes laughing - it was just so random.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:06 AM

After finishing a ride my buddies and I headed to the local pizzeria. We are having a good time when a beautiful woman walks in and asks what's the best way to continue on to Philadelphia?, she started in NYC. It's pretty far so we offer to have her join us. As we are talking, having pizza, she said she is a model, and adds, "Let me get my portfolio in the car." She comes back with this big album type book of photos of which in half she had no clothes on. We were speechless. Then she continued on in her journey.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:07 AM

Took a minute to find this one, it's from a few years ago.

Still not sure why she has the plunger....

Plunger by SPPâ„¢ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 08-21-2024, 08:08 AM

Scenes

I was commuting home through this quiet forest on a road which did not even have a dividing line. Spotted something odd and stopped. All these bullet casings were on the road. Maybe a dozen. Could not be hunters. Called the police to learn a movie scene was being filmed. The next day there was a car submerged in the pond with it rear end sticking out.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:26 AM
Riding Along

I came across a massive limousine bull on a ride near my house and I can tell you I was within a 100 meters when I saw it and I felt like I was way too close. 2800 pounds of anger. I called the local police and they were very happy to get my call since they were looking for it all afternoon and it had had wrecked (as in written off) 3 cars already. I followed it from a few hundred meters back and a cruiser pulled up next to me and the officer said he had it from here. I grew up in a rural commercial fishing and farming area and know bulls; I asked him what he was going to do with a car and handgun when he needed a vet with a tranquilizer gun or a bazooka. He said not to worry, well 5 minutes later his cruiser was smashed up nicely. His confidence was in as bad a shape as his cruiser.

Last edited by Black Dog; 08-21-2024 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:51 AM

Riding with a buddy in a rural part of Maine, he got a flat at the bottom of a hill. While we were fixing the flat we heard someone shouting, we assumed calling for after children or something. It turned out they were cries for help. We ran up the hill and this guy had set his back yard on fire while I think burning leaves. It was all woods behind his house and the fire spreading quickly over a larger and larger area. We helped him contain the fire with shovels, rakes-whatever- and managed to pretty much put it out. At that a fire truck arrived. So we continued on our way. Cant recall if we had to finish with fixing the flat or not.