Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
I friend borrowed one from Team Sky during a tour rest day,
very cool bike.
Domane? Maybe a Pinarello.....
Old 07-12-2023, 02:36 PM

My Domane+ SLR7

I'll piggyback onto Jeff's thread.
The old body has seen better days. A short ride on a friend's e-bike took some of the edge off my knee pain. I did some research over the past two years. Finding a shop that could intelligently answer my questions, I bit the bullet and ordered a Domane+ as a Project One (longer seatpost, longer stem, shorter crankarms - plus, I got some paint!). Delivery was less than a month. I’ve had it for three months.

I described the bike as a "game changer", a word I despise.
Rides went from painful hydrocodone-fueled exercises in frustration to feeling like a little kid (drug-free, of course) again.

Generally very happy with it.
Confusion over bar width (my TTTs measure O-O, Trek C-C), but the extra 2cm width helps a bit with the weight of the bike, a bit like my old tandem.
Saddle clamp on the seatpost needs re-engineering.
Bike had an ungodly creak. I thought it was the saddle clamp. Turned out it was the Isospeed seatpost mount. Trek put out a version 2.0 that eliminated the creak.
Only changes from stock were Brooks Cambium bar tape and Selle Italia saddle.
Looking at a 1Up hitch rack to make transportation a bit easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone 71023 016.jpg (148.6 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by Plum Hill; 07-12-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:29 PM

Glad to have you jump in on the thread; all Domane+ discussion welcome!

Ok, now you've upped the standard and I have to get off my butt and get at least one photo of mine posted here. Weather should be good tomorrow for shooting a few images.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:27 AM

Would like to see how the tan sidewalls look.
How about a shot from Cottage Row in Fish Creek?
Old 07-13-2023, 11:20 AM

We'll be up there the first week in Aug with our sons, daughters-in-law and our 3 grandkids. We'll be near Egg Harbor but will hit Fish Creek. I'll look to take photos there also

Talk about twin sons.... looks like photo negs of each other

I am a fan of tan walls; not news to everyone. The brown Bontragers didn't do it for me.

PS. Your background beats out my side yard

Last edited by teleguy57; 07-13-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:00 PM

Let me hop in with a pic of my Domane+. Your analysis almost totally mirrors mine, so I won't get into a lot of text on that. Fills a nice niche in some of my riding, though I find that I'm riding my conventional bikes much more often.

I've got the one with the Di2 12 speed. Note that I've left on the brown sidewall Bontragers--they're fine until I wear them out and most likely will put on some Corsa Controls. I also had the dealer put on a 120 stem and used my favorite Deda 100 bars. I might change the 175 mm cranks to 172.5s, but don't feel it's mandatory immediately.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Tim Porter; 07-13-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:46 AM

Nice, Tim! Knowing your other bikes from your posts (the Hampstens are some of my favorite all-timers here) it's great to have you comment on the Domane+.

Curious how you've adapted to Di2 (I'm on Di2 12 also, just the 105 version) from Campy on your other bikes? After about 500k of confusing myself I swapped the shift buttons on the app so the larger functions like the Campy paddle and the smaller like the thumb button. Makes life so much easier for me when I'm back and forth on my other road bikes which are Campy.

Also re your stem swap. Did the dealer do that as part of the purchase, or did you have to buy the 120 separately? Trying to get a read on what's Trek policy vs how the LBS does stuff. I'm very fortunate having a great relationship with my LBS (and having wrenched and assembled new bikes post-retirement) that they treat me very, very well on stuff.

Last edited by teleguy57; 07-14-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:06 AM

Great color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Let me hop in with a pic of my Domane+. Your analysis almost totally mirrors mine, so I won't get into a lot of text on that. Fills a nice niche in some of my riding, though I find that I'm riding my conventional bikes much more often.

I've got the one with the Di2 12 speed. Note that I've left on the brown sidewall Bontragers--they're fine until I wear them out and most likely will put on some Corsa Controls. I also had the dealer put on a 120 stem and used my favorite Deda 100 bars. I might change the 175 mm cranks to 172.5s, but don't feel it's mandatory immediately.

Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Nice, Tim! Knowing your other bikes from your posts (the Hampstens are some of my favorite all-timers here) it's great to have you comment on the Domane+.

Curious how you've adapted to Di2 (I'm on Di2 12 also, just the 105 version) from Campy on your other bikes? After about 500k of confusing myself I swapped the shift buttons on the app so the larger functions like the Campy paddle and the smaller like the thumb button. Makes life so much easier for me when I'm back and forth on my other road bikes which are Campy.

Also re your stem swap. Did the dealer do that as part of the purchase, or did you have to buy the 120 separately? Trying to get a read on what's Trek policy vs how the LBS does stuff. I'm very fortunate having a great relationship with my LBS (and having wrenched and assembled new bikes post-retirement) that they treat me very, very well on stuff.
It's so funny: I've done exactly the same as you with regard to the Di2 controls---making the larger shift buttons the opposite of the usual Di2 setup. I got my first Di2 bike about 5-6 years ago and I've used this arrangement since then.

My dealer (Bicycle World in Mt. Kisco, NY--great store and people!) handed over the bike to me with the 90mm stem and said to try it out and see whether I'd want changes. I had expected changing to the 120 and they did it free of charge. I did pay for the Deda bars but got a credit for the original set. They worked with me to lose some spacers and get the position down to what I wanted. I supplied my own saddle and they credited me for the original. My motor was a bit noisy at first and they found it had not been torqued appropriately in the BB, so they diagnosed that and fixed it. [Edit: they also sourced seat post fittings so I could use either oval or round saddle rails.]. Great experience with them.

I'm using Garmin Rally pedals, so this thing has batteries out the ying-ying. It's about as different from my mechanical Campy steel bikes as one could get but it fills a use-case for me in my "old age". It was a 70th birthday present from my lovely and generous wife. Tim

Last edited by Tim Porter; 07-14-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
It's so funny: I've done exactly the same as you with regard to the Di2 controls---making the larger shift buttons the opposite of the usual Di2 setup. I got my first Di2 bike about 5-6 years ago and I've used this arrangement since then.

My dealer (Bicycle World in Mt. Kisco, NY--great store and people!) handed over the bike to me with the 90mm stem and said to try it out and see whether I'd want changes. I had expected changing to the 120 and they did it free of charge. I did pay for the Deda bars but got a credit for the original set. They worked with me to lose some spacers and get the position down to what I wanted. I supplied my own saddle and they credited me for the original. My motor was a bit noisy at first and they found it had not been torqued appropriately in the BB, so they diagnosed that and fixed it. [Edit: they also sourced seat post fittings so I could use either oval or round saddle rails.]. Great experience with them.

I'm using Garmin Rally pedals, so this thing has batteries out the ying-ying. It's about as different from my mechanical Campy steel bikes as one could get but it fills a use-case for me in my "old age". It was a 70th birthday present from my lovely and generous wife. Tim
How does the TQ system’s rider power reporting compare with your power pedals? I’ve heard others complain about the inaccuracy but I’m wondering if the issue is widespread or if any firmware updates have improved it. Any other issues you or others have had with the TQ systems, whether Trek, Bmc, Scott, Pinarello?
Old 10-24-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalrider View Post
How does the TQ system’s rider power reporting compare with your power pedals? I’ve heard others complain about the inaccuracy but I’m wondering if the issue is widespread or if any firmware updates have improved it. Any other issues you or others have had with the TQ systems, whether Trek, Bmc, Scott, Pinarello?
I recently added some assioma power meter pedals to my Domane+. The TQ display does not read the same most of the time. I don't see how it could, there's no way to calibrate it before each ride like I can with the assioma's. I also tried to sync it to my wahoo. It reads it as an ebike and thinks you are just turning a throttle. A 33 mile spirited group ride told me I only burned 130 calories. So basically use the display for battery level. Everything else is on my wahoo.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz View Post
I recently added some assioma power meter pedals to my Domane+. The TQ display does not read the same most of the time. I don't see how it could, there's no way to calibrate it before each ride like I can with the assioma's. I also tried to sync it to my wahoo. It reads it as an ebike and thinks you are just turning a throttle. A 33 mile spirited group ride told me I only burned 130 calories. So basically use the display for battery level. Everything else is on my wahoo.
Do you use the trek app to record rides? I took a short test ride on a domane + slr and used the trek app. That give an average power (with rider and motor separated) in the ride summary. My ride was only five minutes so I didn’t get a feel for its accuracy. I’ve heard some say it’s close and others say it’s way off, much lower than their true power input.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalrider View Post
Do you use the trek app to record rides? I took a short test ride on a domane + slr and used the trek app. That give an average power (with rider and motor separated) in the ride summary. My ride was only five minutes so I didn’t get a feel for its accuracy. I’ve heard some say it’s close and others say it’s way off, much lower than their true power input.
No. I use the trek app for the odometer and tire pressure calculator, that's about it. I use a wahoo to record rides, gives way more information plus I've got it out front of my bars. Lately, I took cadence off the wahoo to add another field and use cadence on the TQ screen. That seems accurate.

For me, even if the TQ screen was perfect, having it on the top tube make it a bit awkward. At a stop light, sure, but riding, I don't like to take my eyes that far off the road ahead. Maybe that's just me?
Old 10-25-2023, 10:13 AM

I had Assiomas on my Domane+ and they compared very favorably to the TQ display, to the point I've put conventional pedal on the bike.

I have the TQ connected to my Garmin and read the display there. I connected it as a power meter and cadence vs as an ebike.

It displayed the power I produce, not the sum of me and the motors. I like that I can glance down to the TQ display and see my power and the added power on separate lines.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
I had Assiomas on my Domane+ and they compared very favorably to the TQ display, to the point I've put conventional pedal on the bike.

I have the TQ connected to my Garmin and read the display there. I connected it as a power meter and cadence vs as an ebike.

It displayed the power I produce, not the sum of me and the motors. I like that I can glance down to the TQ display and see my power and the added power on separate lines.
Thanks, that sounds promising.