Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
An NTC thermistor and temperature controller costs $30 from amzon and makes any crock pot a precision heater.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've used this for a couple different applications. Its not exactly plug and play, you have to be somewhat conversant with PID programing, and you need to wire the pid to a plug and then the solid state relay to an an outlet. My last application was to control a wine cellar cooler.
The advantage of PID control is that it learns how fast the system generates and sheds heat, so it stays ahead of the "swing" unlike a thermostat which often varies by 10-15 degrees-5 on low side then 5 on high. But its wax, not critical.
I've not used one with a crock pot, which has a ton of thermal mass and changes temp rather slowly. A small wax melter for cosmetic use likely is a better application, and the whole unit, with built in temp control, costs what the PID does.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew+ View Post
I just bought a $25 wax heater intended for hair removal and the Silca unit. The Silca's wax pot is slightly larger and the heating system does seem faster and more accurate. The chain hanging stand is also super helpful. I kept the Silca.
I'm sure the Silca unit is premium, but for 20 bucks, I'm thinking it should be fine. I need it for the strip chip which needs it heated up to 125C, just heating the wax requires 75C. I've been using the Silca drip wax and it's been good so I'm not planning on full dipping often.